The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Who sells the MOST Svengali decks? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I see a lot of people discussing how amazing they are at pitching Svengali decks but I wonder who holds the record for selling the MOST decks at one location? I know your location has a LOT to do with your numbers such as fairs, amusement parks, etc but I was just curious if anyone had those stats.

I work with Theatre Magic and although I have posted this picture before here on the Café, I still don't think people (magicians) even can begin to take me seriously when I tell them we push nearly 10,000 decks per month between our three stores. Here's a picture I took one day as we were unloading a 40' container filled with our decks. We get these about 4-5 times a year and it;s not just Svengali's but our five main sellers. This one container just happens to hold a 4-month supply along with a few other items but I think it'll give you an idea of the volume we do ; )

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The record for most? David Walker or Don Driver perhaps.
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Quote:
On 2012-09-23 02:13, eatonmagic wrote:
...we push nearly 10,000 decks per month between our three stores...

Wow! I'd love to see THAT demo!! Smile That's over 100 decks a day for each store. When do they have time to sell anything else?

Jon
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Hey Jon,

Well, when you consider our process it makes more sense. It's not just pitching the Svengali deck it's more like a 12-minute show with 5 tricks that are scripted. Each of our stores have two rooms that hold about 40 people each. The rooms fill up, doors shut, show begins.

After the show, usually about 30% wind up buying the combo while another 10-15% buy just the deck or one of the other tricks. After about 5-7 minutes th entire store fills up again an it's show time once more. An that's the process for the 10-hour day : )

So hopefully you can see when you're doing 20-25 shows a day how the numbers add up.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Marshall Brodien has sold the most Svengali decks than anybody.

You can't compare doing a 12 minute show with working on a fair ground.The key thing you said was "the doors shut" that's why you sell so many decks.

Don
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Don,

I'm not arguing with you there. Marshall has sold a BOATLOAD of decks! I was just curious. Thanks for answering my question.

In regards to the "doors being shut" comment...it's actually not intended to keep people in as it's so much to keep the noise out. Being in a theme park we have a LOT of things going on outside. When people get distracted you lose them. Therefore, we must make it feel more like a show than a "pitch".

In all honestly, there are some underlying psychological principals also involved with the doors being closed that play both the people inside as well as people outside. Have you been to our store before?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Regardless of why you close the doors...they are "closed" and you have a captive audience.But that's good.Keep up the big sales.

And I have never been to any of your stores.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
As a matter of fact I don't even know the name of your store's or where they are other than somewhere in Orlando Fl.Maybe you know Bev Bergeron,he used to pitch Svengali's with David Walker many years ago. http://bevbergeron.com/

Or John Ekin,I know John when he was a kid coming into the Yogi Magic shop I worked at in Baltimore back in the early 70's. http://www.johnekinmagic.com/
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
It's Theatre Magic and yes, I know both Bev and John. Actually, I'll probably be hanging with John later tonight.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Please do tell John I said hello.

Don
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Jaw Droppers sold over 20,000 decks as a bonus for buying all four video's. Brilliant
SleepNow
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of SleepNow
Tom, I think Haines had one run of cards for Jaw Droppers that was about five times the number you quote.
How old is that picture? Did you lose a bunch of weight?
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2012-09-23 09:50, eatonmagic wrote:
Hey Jon,

Well, when you consider our process it makes more sense. It's not just pitching the Svengali deck it's more like a 12-minute show with 5 tricks that are scripted. Each of our stores have two rooms that hold about 40 people each. The rooms fill up, doors shut, show begins.

After the show, usually about 30% wind up buying the combo while another 10-15% buy just the deck or one of the other tricks. After about 5-7 minutes th entire store fills up again an it's show time once more. An that's the process for the 10-hour day : )

So hopefully you can see when you're doing 20-25 shows a day how the numbers add up.

Woah! Let me do some of the math here... 2 rooms of 40 people each 20-25 times per day (let's compromise and call it 23 shows)that is 1840 per shop or 5520 people watching your pitch EACH DAY across 3 venues. Even Batman Returns wasn't THAT well attended! Smile Smile Smile

Let me see what that is each month, I want to be conservative so I'll call it a 4 week month with you doing 5 days a week. That adds up to 110,400 people watching your pitch each month. With THAT many people watching your pitch I'm actually surprised you're not selling MORE decks...what are you doing wrong? Smile

You say that 30% buy a combo and another 10-15% buy just the deck, so that's 40-55% of people who buy, but let's be conservative again and just say it's 40%...that means you would be selling 44,160 decks each month, but you say you're only selling 10000 decks per month, what are you giving to the other 30,000 people...empty boxes? Smile

Working conservatively with all the figures you gave you are only selling to 9% of the people who see your show. So I think you either need to take another look at your numbers or get a better pitch. Smile Smile Smile
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On 2013-07-25 23:00, Zuke wrote:
Quote:
Hey Jon,

Woah! Let me do some of the math here... 2 rooms of 40 people each 20-25 times per day (let's compromise and call it 23 shows)that is 1840 per shop or 5520 people watching your pitch EACH DAY across 3 venues. Even Batman Returns wasn't THAT well attended! Smile Smile Smile

Let me see what that is each month, I want to be conservative so I'll call it a 4 week month with you doing 5 days a week. That adds up to 110,400 people watching your pitch each month. With THAT many people watching your pitch I'm actually surprised you're not selling MORE decks...what are you doing wrong? Smile

You say that 30% buy a combo and another 10-15% buy just the deck, so that's 40-55% of people who buy, but let's be conservative again and just say it's 40%...that means you would be selling 44,160 decks each month, but you say you're only selling 10000 decks per month, what are you giving to the other 30,000 people...empty boxes? Smile

Working conservatively with all the figures you gave you are only selling to 9% of the people who see your show. So I think you either need to take another look at your numbers or get a better pitch. Smile Smile Smile
Smile !
thenineofhearts
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of thenineofhearts
What are your top 5 selling tricks eatonmagic?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 14:52, thenineofhearts wrote:

Having seen their pitch in person my guess is...

UFO Card, Svengali Deck, Fire Wallet, D'Lite knock off, and 5th place I'm gonna guess sponge balls.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Worms(squirmels) sell better than any magic trick.(with a good pitch)
Don
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 16:59, DonDriver wrote:
Worms(squirmels) sell better than any magic trick.(with a good pitch)
Don

I was pitched the squirmel at the Flea Market a few years ago. I bought 2. I want to say I spent $7 bucks. The guy had a nice litte routine.

I remember buying them from the $.25 cent gumball machines as a kid.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 DonDriver wrote: Worms(squirmels) sell better than any magic trick.(with a good pitch)

Based on personal experience, I agree 110%. And if you alternate the worm pitch with the Svengali Pitch, the worm is also great for building tips for the Svengali Pitch. That little purple worm jumping from one cup to another always stops people right in their tracks, you don't have to say a word. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jinx18
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Jinx18
Quote:
Hey Jon,

I read this and it sounded so familiar. Then I checked your location and saw Orlando and it hit me. I attended one of these about 4 years ago or so.

Quote:
On 2012-09-24 10:51, eatonmagic wrote:
It's Theatre Magic and yes, I know both Bev and John. Actually, I'll probably be hanging with John later tonight.

I didn't know the name of the place and just looked it up and sure enough that is it.

Quote:
On 2013-07-29 12:16, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 14:52, thenineofhearts wrote:

Having seen their pitch in person my guess is...

UFO Card, Svengali Deck, Fire Wallet, D'Lite knock off, and 5th place I'm gonna guess sponge balls.

I actually laughed because after seeing the show those are the 5 tricks I bought.

I just had to post because like I said I saw that show about 4 years ago and is singlehandedly what got me into magic to this day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Who sells the MOST Svengali decks? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL