The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Releasing my "Signed Folded Card to Sealed Sugar Packet" (??) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
This something I "invented" about 8 years ago and in doing resturaunt work and walk around, this was the STRONGEST effect I did. I'm thinking about finally releasing this as I'm pretty much "retired" from magic except for stuff just for friends, etc. A bad back (and body!) is the main reason for this.

Without giving away too much...this is an 8 card (thick) gimmick that allows the signed card to be folded (perfect every time!) and secretly loaded into a sugar packet that is then sealed so that the spectator(s) can open it themselves at the finish. The card/packet can be found almost anywhere.

Each of these are handmade by me and also included would be the instructions so you could make your own in the future if needed. It takes about a half hour to put one of these together but when done, will last a LONG time! The one included would be in red or blue Bicycle poker size cards.

Like I mentioned, the reactions from this effect have always been great (or better!) in fact, I showed this to a very WELL known magician (you'd know him...he's a award winner and released a few DVD sets, but not sure if I should mention his name) at a lecture right after I came up with this and he LIKED it alot, saying "...that's beautiful...you could sell that!..". So hope he's right!

Anyway, just want to see if there's interest in this. It'd be in the $40 range and include instructions/plans to make your own gimmick(s) as well as a ready made one and possibly a DVD showing all the workings as well as all the stuff I've come up with over the years for the "signed, folded, card to impossible location" including two methods where the card is folded perfectly nice and square every time!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I've always loved objects to sugar packets, being that most of my magic work is in restaurants.
Played with quite a few methods for loading objects in, and having the packet seal.
Personally, I'm more interested in a borrowed bill to sugar packet, which I imagine this could do, however it sounds like the emphasis is on the gimmick perfectly folding a playing card, which sounds worthwhile, but, long story not so short, would it be overkill to use this for a bill, or coin, etc?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
This sounds great.

Should call it "the sweet deal"

Look forward to picking this up if released.

Best

R
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Hey Tom,
Just wanted to give you a heads up. The effect of a signed bill or card to a sealed sugar packet has been the closer for Michael Forbes and Brian Gillis since the early 1990's. The history is well documented as both performed the routine at the Magic Castle in the close up room many, many times.

They have kept the routine private. Their secret is well guarded. I think you should contact both gentleman before you move forward and release this effect. Just my two cents...
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of lunatik
If its not published, you can release it, but id mention Forbes and Gillis in your credits.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22583 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Also, it is not the title, it is the working, if they are totally different, then no problem, unless you seen the gentlemen mentioned and then reverse engineered the effect.

Just as there are 200 ways to perform a double lift, there can be more then one way to do any trick.

My concern is the 'repeat factor' in any trick being sold as a restaurant table hopping trick. If it can't be performed repeatedly, then it is a "Special Occasion" trick.

Then it would be better to leave that at home and just use the Fred Kaps - Tommy Wonder Card in Box effect, or do a good card in wallet trick.
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
The "very WELL known magician" I mentioned in the first post knows Brian Gillis and mentioned him when I showed him what I came up with. He said mine is a different method. Not the same but still "...beautiful!.." LOL!!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4992 Posts

Profile of RNK
Great idea. I would be interested. As someone mentioned here, if its not published then I there is no problem of releasing it. It does not matter if someone else is already doing the trick, they have not released their version or published anything. I don't even see a need to mention anybody in the credits, again they did not publish there method. I guess to be a nice guy you could mention who Bob stated.

Looking forward to this....
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I'm interested! A signed card in a sealed sugar packet that THEY open would be an amazing trick!

Tom, sorry to hear about your physical issues.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1050 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
I'am interested as well. Please keep us updated.

All the best,
Martin
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I stop reading whenever I see someone throw in the old "…very WELL known magician..." who we would all know and love but whose name mysteriously can never be mentioned. Gets tiring after about the 100th time hearing about him. If he/she is that well-known then they wouldn’t be so averse to having their name associated with their comments. If they feel they cannot have their name associated with what they say about a product then I don’t want to hear it.

:)

Jim
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
Lets see a Demo
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
I do have a quick video demo somewhere of an earlier version of this I did for a well known hollywood actor (just kidding there!! It was Clint Howard...Ron Howard's younger brother) and his great reaction. I'll see if I can find it. In this earlier version the spectator couldn't open the packet...but with the later model gimmick, they can!

I'd forgot but I actually gave Brian Gillis a call and talked to him about this back when I first put one of these together and after showing it to his magician friend (I'm gonna see if I can get in touch with the magician I have mentioned and see if it's okay if I say who he is!) and then I sent one of the gimmicks to Brian. Never heard what he thought of it. That's the only one I ever sent out so far to anybody.

These gimmicks aren't that hard to make and I'm thinking it'd be easier and cheaper (priced) to just send the plans and instructions out to those that'd order it, but still include a ready made gimmick (for like $15 more) for those that wanted it that way.

Still hoping for suggestions and ideas from anyone!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4992 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-09-24 23:14, J-Mac wrote:
I stop reading whenever I see someone throw in the old "…very WELL known magician..." who we would all know and love but whose name mysteriously can never be mentioned. Gets tiring after about the 100th time hearing about him. If he/she is that well-known then they wouldn’t be so averse to having their name associated with their comments. If they feel they cannot have their name associated with what they say about a product then I don’t want to hear it.

Jim

Tom said he didn't ask the magician yet if he could release his name. Seems like some are ready to take Tom's head off before even releasing his effect. I say give the guy some time and a chance. Making the decision for getting a trick produced and constructed is a big step, probably not a small investment either.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4992 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 11:15, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-24 23:14, J-Mac wrote:

Jim

Tom said he didn't ask the magician yet if he could release his name. Seems like some are ready to take Tom's head off before even releasing his effect. I say give the guy some time and a chance. Making the decision for getting a trick produced and constructed is a big step, probably not a small investment either.

If this is hogwash it will come out in the end - always does!

RNK
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Tom has taken all the proper steps.
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Seriously sounds like a great effect, don't care if some magician did or didn't like it, if its clean, and strong id like to know more about it
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4992 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 15:01, MuscleMagic wrote:
Seriously sounds like a great effect, don't care if some magician did or didn't like it, if its clean, and strong id like to know more about it

Very well said!!!!
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I have always loved the idea of "anything" to a sugar packet. Very much interested!
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Anyone have any idea what the latest is on this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Releasing my "Signed Folded Card to Sealed Sugar Packet" (??) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL