The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with a credit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Hey guys,

I am looking for the credit for a certain switch done with a card/bill and a wallet. I can't remember if it has Paul Harris origins.

Basically, you're holding the closed wallet in one hand with the item you'll be switching in underneath the wallet. The other hand openly holds the shown object. As you transfer the wallet to the other hand, you bring the hidden object into view and are now hiding the other object under the closed wallet.

It reminds me a lot of the Jinx Switch.

Any help is appreciated!
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Not sure what the origins are (considering the simplicity it probably predates modern magic), but you are correct that it was used by Paul Harris in the 'counterfeit spectator' effect from AoA volume 2. There might be some additional info in the footnotes.

Good luck.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Larry Jennings used this to switch decks. As the wallet was opened from right to left, the item went under the wallet. When closed left to right the new item came into view. The wallet and deck were placed together in the back pocket for a clean up.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
The move (or, more accurately, "tactic") in question can't be accurately credited - it's simply too old and too elementary. Much like Tilt, but I digress!
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 19:46, jhostler wrote:
Much like Tilt

Here we go...
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Quote:
The move (or, more accurately, "tactic") in question can't be accurately credited - it's simply too old and too elementary. Much like Tilt, but I digress!

I understand what you mean, but I don't think this is an example. (Nor is Tilt...)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:

The question of early references in print is valid though.

Got one for the depth perception illusion that predates the Victor book?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Yeah, that's better phrasing. I am looking for the earliest references in print.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's called "The Zombie Switch". I came up with it years ago after seeing it on a video, so I changed the name as many creators do these days. If you use it, please credit me.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Smile That's what I'm hoping not to do!
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 20:55, jprace wrote:
Quote:

I understand what you mean, but I don't think this is an example. (Nor is Tilt...)

We'll have to agree to disagree on both counts! But I'm sure the *documented* history of this move can be traced back to some very, very old billet-type switches - i.e., those wherein the switch is covered by a notepad or envelope rather than a wallet. There are of course earlier antecedents utilizing handkerchiefs and assorted objects (balls etc.). Really, any “move” wherein one item is switched for another as a covering object is passed from hand to hand could apply.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I agree that the origins of this are too old to find. But the first print reference might be discovered.

I just chimed in, however, to mention that I used to do this in my college days to switch the gaffed knife for a real one in a color changing knife routine. To justify using my wallet I would demonstrate that the knife would change color by rapping it down onto the top of the wallet. Then, as I put my wallet away, I'd use this techinique to switch the knives.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with a credit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL