We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chinese coins for holy moly (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
961 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Has anyone found suitable Chinese coins for the holy moly effect yet? Please let me know. Thanks.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Have you seen this done with Chinese coins? I have only seen it done with metal washers. Perhaps Joker Magic could make you one (jokermagic.com)

Jim
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
You would need a Chinese coin with two holes for the finale, no?
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
961 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@jimhlou

Haven't seen it yet, I was hoping that someone here will point me out to the right direction. I will check jokermagic.com, thanks for suggestion.

@Jimeh

The main problem is to have a chinese coin with no hole, that resembles with the ones with holes.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
You could make your own out of wood. Paint them, and age them. Pass them off as really ancient coins.
Craft stores sometimes have pre-cut wood items, might find some discs that way.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
961 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@professorwhut Great idea sir. Thanks for help Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
That is a great idea. I may make a set for myself.

Jim
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
I didn't know the Holy Moly effect could be done with Chinese coins. I remember watching Jay Sankey's DVD and it only mentioned metal washers.

@ professorwhut, I don't quite see how one could pass wooden coins for metal, regardless of how well they may be painted.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 11:39, thatmatt wrote:
I didn't know the Holy Moly effect could be done with Chinese coins. I remember watching Jay Sankey's DVD and it only mentioned metal washers.

@ professorwhut, I don't quite see how one could pass wooden coins for metal, regardless of how well they may be painted.

Given the effect, the coins wouldn't have to be passed off as wood.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
@thatmattt

I never said anyone should try and pass off wood as metal. That would be ridiculous.

I was simply trying to give the man an easy way to achieve his goal.
Make em out of anything, wood, plastic, stone, cardboard, exiting washers and slugs.
Maybe even paint or etch an actual Holy Moley set.

Good Lord, do we need to put disclaimers after every post we make in the blasted place?

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Geeze, I jusr re-read my post, I meant that in Holey Moley, the props need to have to be passed of as METAL. IMHO, the effect would just as strong with ANY material

@Professorwhut: I feel your pain man
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Viad
I could tell by your post, what you your trying to say.

I have been thinking about actually carving some out of wood.
I have no intention of trying to make them look like metal.

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I would not do the effect with cookie dough. The spectator might think you poke the hole in the disk when they're not looking. However, ANY hard material that required drilling a hole would work - or ceramic disks with the hole molded in.

Jim
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
788 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Chinese coins would actually be a great idea! People generally know that Chinese coins have a hole in the center...I bet some gaff coin makers would help!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Another way could be to fill up the hole in the center of a Chinese coin and paste a tiny square gold tape on each side for one coin. For the other coin use a drill

Now if you decide to go the wooden way, you could give a coin to check and then using the extremely difficult to do Shuttle Pass, switch the metallic coin for the wooden one as the other coin is examined... You could even suggest that you don't hold anything else in your hand by using a Vernon Change Over Palm before doing the Shuttle Pass: this would enable your spectators to see both of your hands to be empty apart from the coin openly displayed when you would still be handling your wooden coin (or your doubly holed coin)...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
I lost my holy moly washers. It is not possible to get new ones through Jay without buying the dvd again. (They do not sell just the gimmicked washers). Any idea where I can get new ones... who might make them?
Thanks!
Tom
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
The silicone that I use to make my molds can handle low melt metal like pewter, and you can buy a small crucible for $50.
I have been thinking about making coins for magicians.

Anyone think it would be worth doing?

Randi
Gabeauer
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Gabeauer
I'm trying to buy HOly Moly, but everyone is out of stock, so I'm trying to make one. I know the outside diameter is almost exactly the same as a half dollar, but I don't know the diameter of the hole. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Gabe Auerbach
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5344 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Have you tried Jay Sankey himself? The trick (with props) is listed on his website. He's added a prop and a phase to the original routine.

https://sankey-magic.myshopify.com/colle......y-moly-1
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
503 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Holy Moly:
OD - 1 1/8" (1.125")
ID - 1/4" (0.25")

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chinese coins for holy moly (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL