We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Greg Rostami's iForce with Dai Vernon's Out of Sight, Out of Mind? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jason Simonds
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola, FL
269 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
I had a thought the other day on combining these two tricks.

If you are not familiar with Dai Vernon's Out of Sight, Out of Mind you can find it in More Inner Secrets of Card Magic, page 14. Also, Card College V., page 1318. R. Paul Wilson has a lot of great insight on this as well in his Out of Your Mind. If you prefer video, it is on Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 5.

Here is what I'm considering for the effect, the spectator is shown some cards and is asked to picture one of the cards in their mind. The performer attempts to read the spectator's mind but is not quite sure. Nevertheless, the performer makes a prediction on the phone, but then continues on with Dai Vernon's handling of the cards -- The deck is shuffled and the performer explains that he is going to show the cards again. The performer asks the spectator to keep picturing their card, but when they see their card to say, in their head, "That's my card", but of course, don't say it out loud. After they've seen their card, the deck is again shuffled and the performer slowly takes cards from the top of the deck without looking at their faces until he'll stop at a card and tell the spectator "I think I have your card. I think this is it." The spectator is asked to name his card. At this point, there is a double reveal. The performer can flip the phone over and show that he did make the correct prediction. And the performer can show that they actually did stop at the spectator's thought of card.

For those familiar with Dai Vernon's effect, would this double reveal be too much? It's already a strong effect on it's own. Maybe I'll give it a go later today and see.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2712 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi Jason,

I'm not too familiar with Out of Sight, but I always like mixing methods with iForce.

I would love to know more about it.
Greg Rostami
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola, FL
269 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
The original trick is impromptu and can be done with any cards, so the significant change to Out of Sight, Out of Mind is you'd need to have a memorized 8 card stack. The original handling displays 9 cards, but only displaying 8 would probably not harm the effect. You could even display 9 cards and show that your original prediction was indeed wrong if they happen to choose that as their thought of card. Or have some other out for the 9th card.

My current problem is I haven't used your app since I changed phones this past April. I didn't re-install apps I didn't use very often and while I love iForce; it is extremely clever. I just didn't have a use for it at the time. I just re-installed it so I need to practice some more with your app before I'll be comfortable performing this. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Greg Rostami's iForce with Dai Vernon's Out of Sight, Out of Mind? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL