The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Good quality zombie ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of asgar
I want to pick a good but not so expensive zombie ball with a gimmick that can be bent?Also How can I make my own gimmick?Thank you guys.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
If you already know what the gimmicks look like, making them is rather easy. You might need to visit a hardware to get the appropriate materials.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of asgar
I could not find any.Maybe I have to check other shops too.there are some spokes there which are thicker than cycle spoke.Another thing is I have a straight gimmick.Did any famous magician use a straight one ?
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21955 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, famous magician used regular and custom designed gimmicks. There are many thoughts on this in magic. It actually is a personal thing for each performer and what he wants to accomplish.

Neil Foster started out on an oriental fan, thus the more standard gimmick. Tommy Wonder wanted to create the illusion of hoovering, thus his design.

Just remember, whichever you chose may limit your choices for other moves or your ability to create other maneuvers.

There has not been created yet a gimmick that will do everything.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I think all the gimmicks have merit...just depends on what you want to do with them. As Bill has alread stated, there hasn't been one invented yet that will meet all needs. If you can come up with one...you will become a wealthy man!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 21:51, Mike Maturen wrote:
I think all the gimmicks have merit...just depends on what you want to do with them. As Bill has alread stated, there hasn't been one invented yet that will meet all needs. If you can come up with one...you will become a wealthy man!

Well Mike, he won't be wealthy but he will be rewarded.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sagar
Number one. I have a collection of Zombies. Some have lights, some are veryt interesting and diverse. For the best general purpose zombie I would recommend the Vernet because it's very difficult to dent, when it drops. That brings me to the secant point.

Number two. A gimmick is a gimmick and a ball is a ball ( meaning that its up to the performer to make the effect come to life and the best performers have a relationship with the prop more akin to puppeteer or marionette. The prop needs to take on a life of it's own. So what difference does it make weather you have "this" ball or "that" gimmick unless you have the theatrical ability to do the effect justice... Therefore because most balls become dented, you get a new one. The initial post suggests that you want an inexpensive product which by itself does not matter on this effectmad the thinking process that inexpensive is good.

All I can say is that whenever we bought new costly lighting or staging, we had a new selling point that helped us book more shows.
While I grew up in a magic shop I learned that's it's better to buy the correct prop or illusion even if I think I can make it myself. Mo one books shows by saying they built everything in their garage, it just sounds cheap.

Perhaps I read into the post incorrectly and if that's the case I apologize but I'm pretty sure the following homily is correct. "sucsess breeds sucsess and people like doing business with other successful people"

Respectfully,
Jay
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I always suggest that people begin with a regular, straight gimmick. I used one for years, and still use it a lot when teaching. Most things you ever need to know can be done with it and a good Zombie performance has more to do with detaching your movements from that of the ball than anything the gimmick will ever do.

That said, various bends and modifications are fantastic for adding a move or two, and sometimes more. Often they limit some moves, but make others easier or more deceptive. Once you master the regular gimmick though, you are better equipped to shift over to anything else and use it with the same detached smoothness.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Very True, Ian. I forgot that this is magic we are speaking about...LOL!

Quote:
On 2012-09-28 22:59, magicians wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 21:51, Mike Maturen wrote:

Well Mike, he won't be wealthy but he will be rewarded.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I agree with Jeb. I was remiss in not pointing that out. All I have ever used is a straight gimmick. I know that several folks have put a slight arc in theirs in order to accomplish a few more moves in a deceptive manner.

Jeb has also created a gimmick that most folks speak very positively about. I have never seen or used it, so I cannot comment on that one...but what I have read has been very positive. Perhapbs Jeb can shed a bit more light on it.

Quote:
On 2012-09-29 05:17, Jeb Sherrill wrote:
I always suggest that people begin with a regular, straight gimmick. I used one for years, and still use it a lot when teaching. Most things you ever need to know can be done with it and a good Zombie performance has more to do with detaching your movements from that of the ball than anything the gimmick will ever do.

That said, various bends and modifications are fantastic for adding a move or two, and sometimes more. Often they limit some moves, but make others easier or more deceptive. Once you master the regular gimmick though, you are better equipped to shift over to anything else and use it with the same detached smoothness.

Jeb
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 15:24, asgar wrote:
I want to pick a good but not so expensive zombie ball with a gimmick that can be bent?Also How can I make my own gimmick?Thank you guys.

You just need a mallable wire like a copper coat hangar. You can wind it for the thumb and bed it in curves or right angles. Then encase it in black cloth tubing. or encase it first, then bend.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 12:01, magicians wrote:
Then encase it in black cloth tubing.

a.k.a. shoelace. Smile Mostly, I just paint mine. And yes, coat hanger wires are what I've used for years. You'll learn a few little tricks about making them if you do it a few times and then use the gimmick for awhile. You can also solder the wire to a short length of tubing, if you prefer a tube to a coil. Don't be afraid to start over to improve your model. They are super cheap to make.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks, Michael. I have always had an issue with the pressure on my finurt after a while. I may try making one with a bigger coil, or a tube as you have suggested. I have also seen some with a rather sharp curve in them. When I receive my WGM--Zombie DVD today or tomorrow, I assume that one might be covered ion that program. I am also saving up to get Jeb's series as well...then I should be pretty well-c0vered!

Now to find some really inexpensive DVD's on the linking rings, which I have NEVER performed smoothly. I LOVE Copperfield's routine...but obviousy don't want to copy that. I have the Comedy Linking Rings booklet, but have yet to get it out and start the work.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I like to use the two finger gimmick, I have one with a flash finale on it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21955 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
General Grant makes high quality 2 finger gimmicks in different sizes, you can get a price list from him by emailing ggmagic@aol.com they are only $17.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks guys!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Marno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Marno
I have a control problem with my zombie that I can only describe as "too bouncy". Is the 2-finger gimmick the sort of thing meant to help with this?
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I have never seen a commercial gimmick that could actually be used.

(I'm not including Jeb's Dream Gimmick in that list, I'm sure its of very high quality, although currently hard to find.)

So you are going to have to make your own. I love my gimmick that use a TT. The ball moves almost completely independent of the hands.

The vernet false fingers are too small for me, sometimes the 2 finger gimmick is made with tubes.

Another issue is the length. Any gimmick that centers to the middle of the cloth should be a little long across the top of the cloth.

I've also never seen a commercial foulard that was worth a darn! I'm sure there is one out there, but not that comes with a ball.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I'm still using the gaff that came with my Tannen's Zombie in 1980. Didn't care much for the ball, so I got an Ickle Pickle in '83. While the difference was slight, I preferred the Tannen's gaff. In all these years I've changed the cork and covering exactly once. This gaff fits my finger perfectly and this is the key to the whole thing. It's worth the time to adjust the coil to perfectly conform to you.

I really don't know much specifically about Jeb's, but I only hear good things about it. I'm sure it's great and worth the money you'd spend for it. The Tommy Wonder approach is certainly the "thinking man's" Zombie. But when all is said and done, it is still possible to do an excellent routine with "stock" equipment.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Marno,

If you're Zombie ball is too bouncy then it's probably too heavy for the gimmick provided, and/or too long. Bill's advice of making your own gimmick is probably your best bet. Just use your present gimmick as a template, (assuming the length fits your foulard) and create a new one using a heavier gauge wire. Bend the wire at the cork end to a 45 degree angle and drive it straight through the cork instead of attaching it with staple or screw as so many manufacturers do. You'll have a very stable gimmick.

The two finger, Grant gimmick is good, but it's more for adding strength to your control hand, (i.e. two fingers are stronger than one).

On the Dream Gimmick, I do apologize for its scarcity. I stopped selling them a few years back because they took too much time to make for the %40 of retail I got from jobbers like Murphey's. I do still sell them custom, but I charge more to keep them out of the hands of the purely curious.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Good quality zombie ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL