The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Mason's Orient Express (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mark did this at his Penguin LIVE lecture and now has released it. It's Mark's handling for copper/silver brass.

http://www.jbtv.co.uk/new-items/orient-e......-722.php

Performance clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0iYneBlw......embedded
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5519 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
It's a high quality set as you would expect from Mark, and his teaching is clear and easy to follow as usual.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
I like the way mark insults the girl at the end. That's great.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2536 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I picked up a set. It turns out it can be done without the insults if that is to your taste. I never liked the challenge apects of the "classic" Copper/Silver/Brass routine.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of rowland
I picked up a set at Blackpool good routine and very well made. The colours definitely make it easier for people to follow especially if they have had a few drinks !! A good routine for walk around.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6020 Posts

Profile of motown
It's an interesting idea and nice presentation. The one negative for me is that the coins seem more like magic coins because of the colors and less real than the normal CSB set.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Because of lighting, color blindness, etc. these wouldn't be for me. I think a stark coin contrast is best for where I perform this.

My Lassen set never fails me:

Image
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2536 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The do look like magic coins which is what I call them. They are of course examinable at he start and end of the routine. At any rate, different
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
The whole point of this (As Mark explained in his lecture)is that you don't have to explain the coins.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I've had this for years and still say it's the best CSB routine out there
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 12:36, Xcath1 wrote:
I picked up a set. It turns out it can be done without the insults if that is to your taste. I never liked the challenge apects of the "classic" Copper/Silver/Brass routine.


But isn't saying oh you're wrong again and then insult at the end result by saying oh so you're not so perseptive. Its more of a challenge than csb. I mean csb is a classic in magic for a reason and not because it's a bad trick.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6020 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 21:46, MagicMaddy wrote:
The whole point of this (As Mark explained in his lecture)is that you don't have to explain the coins.
If that's the point then why not make them different pieces of colored metal, tokens for instance, instead of fake looking Chinese coins. Personally, I would have preferred them being something other then Chinese coins. With real coins you don't have to be concerned with the paint coming off.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've always found that people are interested in the coins and the countries they come from.
corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of corindaman
I returned my set becuase the paint was chipping off and I did only use them for practice for a very short time. Also, and maybe its just me, they 'scream' gimmicked magic coins. Far better off using a few sleights and ordinary coins.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On 2012-09-30 03:22, corindaman wrote:
I returned my set becuase the paint was chipping off and I did only use them for practice for a very short time. Also, and maybe its just me, they 'scream' gimmicked magic coins. Far better off using a few sleights and ordinary coins.


I never refer to these as coins but call them tokens, the way the routine is structured with the coins being handed out at the start and they can be examined at the end I think the routine is pretty clean and gets just as good a reaction from lay people as a similar routine I used to do with coins, I never judge a routine now until I have performed it to an audience. I bet most of us have a routine where the reaction to it from lay people has surprised us.
Sorry you had problems with your "coins" mine are still fine at the moment fingers crossed Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2536 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The “new” coins in which the painted area is recessed may be less susceptible to chipping although I never had the older set and have not had these long enough to really comment. I get what people are saying about the “gimmicked” appearance of the colored coins, I think it is personal. I have a Johnson and Lassen set as well with “regular coins.” I got this to try something different and I just feel there is something fun about the colors.

It is pretty expensive for what you get in my opinion but that is also a personal decision.

Regarding the challenge aspect of the routine, it has nothing to do with the coins. I have just avoided the “what is in your hand, no you’re wrong” patter (as popularized by Doc Eason and Mason) and moved to a “look what these magic coins can do” sort of thing.
magic 1990
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magic 1990
Mark Mason is awesome..his work is beyond great
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 21:02, Zombie Magic wrote:
Because of lighting, color blindness, etc. these wouldn't be for me. I think a stark coin contrast is best for where I perform this.

My Lassen set never fails me:

Image



That looks a lovely set of coins Smile Did they come in the box?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Mason's Orient Express (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL