The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Mason's Orient Express (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Rowland,I bought them a few years ago and no box was included. You can write Todd direct and ask him about the set. The coins are of great interest when you hand them out.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1393 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On 2012-09-30 15:36, Zombie Magic wrote:
Rowland,I bought them a few years ago and no box was included. You can write Todd direct and ask him about the set. The coins are of great interest when you hand them out.

Thanks, I am a sucker for well made coin gaffs Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I liked Mark's line about the Chinese coins at the beginning while looking through the hole...

"These are for PEEK-ING"

Cute - I can use that for sure.

I liked the flow of the routine and the intro and exit of the ga*f seemed logical and well done. Only thing I'm not wild about as others mention is I would prefer normal looking coins - at least 2 out of the 3 as with my Johnson set.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2536 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Hate to harp on it but if you are borrowing 3 quarters from a spectator that is one thing however I don't think 3 unfamiliar, unborrowed coins are any more innocent than three examinable colored coins. I think the colored coins look festive and can be used that way. If you have a great story about the foreign coins that generates interest and that works for you, than that’s another thing.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-30 17:35, Xcath1 wrote:
Hate to harp on it but if you are borrowing 3 quarters from a spectator that is one thing however I don't think 3 unfamiliar, unborrowed coins are any more innocent than three examinable colored coins. I think the colored coins look festive and can be used that way. If you have a great story about the foreign coins that generates interest and that works for you, than that’s another thing.

Those are sounds points. Thanks for raising them, Xcath1. I'm a little set in my ways, but am flexible if a good argument is raised.

If the quality is solid on these, I'd be open to trying them.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2551 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Todd's work is amazing. There are also several routines out there that don't require g*****ks. Just a thought.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 11:05, John C wrote:
I like the way mark insults the girl at the end. That's great.

It really was champagne comedy from start to finish wasn't it. If I was the spectator I'd have turned a hose on him before he'd finished his Peking duck 'joke'.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2237 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 01:27, Zuke wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 11:05, John C wrote:
I like the way mark insults the girl at the end. That's great.

It really was champagne comedy from start to finish wasn't it. If I was the spectator I'd have turned a hose on him before he'd finished his Peking duck 'joke'.

LOL!!!
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
244 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
This has replaced my standard CSB set.
Don't get me wrong, I love the standard set, people like the coins, but as they're coins that most audiences are unfamiliar with, they forget the names.
Some people say 'brass', some 'chinese', some 'washer' - sometimes people end up confusing themselves as well as others watching.
Since I've started using Mark's version, there is no hesitation in saying 'blue' 'red' or 'black'.
It makes the trick flow faster, and in my opinion, packs a bigger punch.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1393 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 08:11, TheBentos wrote:
This has replaced my standard CSB set.
Don't get me wrong, I love the standard set, people like the coins, but as they're coins that most audiences are unfamiliar with, they forget the names.
Some people say 'brass', some 'chinese', some 'washer' - sometimes people end up confusing themselves as well as others watching.
Since I've started using Mark's version, there is no hesitation in saying 'blue' 'red' or 'black'.
It makes the trick flow faster, and in my opinion, packs a bigger punch.

I agree,even works with specs that have had a few drinks Smile
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
228 Posts

Profile of Vayron
To avoid confusion with the normal CSB you can say : american coin in one hand and foreign coins in the other hand so the spectators just have to remember 2 elements and not 3.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Marks orient express is of excellant quality.
and his handling of this is superb.i reccomend
this to any one that likes the cbs effect.
todd
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2237 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I always love JB Magic stuff...depending on what you get, (yes, there were a few JB items I didn't care for)
between the almost guaranteed quality, ease of performance of JB effects and Mark's always excellent teaching, you can't go wrong.
I just got this today and I really love it.

I must say that Lassen set is awful pretty!
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1349 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I got this a few weeks ago. I like it and will for sure be using it.
However, The paint job on my coins is not as good as I would have hoped or expected.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Hocus Pocus is having a fourth of July sale! I have wanted Orient Express since I say the Mark Mason Penguin lecture. Sadly it's pretty rare that I can justify spending 100 dollars on a magic effect when I have bills to pay. However because of the sale I got the whole set for 60 dollars including shipping. Just couldn't pass it up. Can't wait!
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I love my set.
Todd
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1808 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
I have a set and this thing is beautiful. But CSB is not a routine "made" for me, I love watching it but not doing it. But the set is "magnifique"
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review Channel, new reviews coming every week ! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
The Todd Lassen set is beautiful! We have all come to expect nothing less. The coins are unique and people will find them quite interesting.

Mark Mason is a worker as well as one of the best dealers out there. This is his attempt to "clarify" the action of a time tested classic. The smallest child quickly notices the color change element making the magic more highly visable. The effect does not have to be presented as a "challange", but if your performing style is comfortable with that, go for it.

The coins are quite decently made, similar quality wise as Johnson Products. I have an old set of the Johnson copper-silver-brass which have served me well. But in dim lighting the lack of "contrast" makes the effect more difficult to follow. The red-blue and black are much easier to follow in same dimly light conditions. I have not experienced any problems with the color chipping or the quality. Unlike most chinese coins manufactured with smooth edges, Mark had the edges of the these coins "milled", making them easier to palm and hiding the gaff better.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Great effect. I have two sets. I actually like the original coins better than the new milled edge version but both are nice
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Mason's Orient Express (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL