The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A Book on Master Payne's Cup and Ball Routine? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TeslaTao
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of TeslaTao
Quote:
For those who haven't seen this routine you can watch it here. http://vimeo.com/17200188

I'm a historian, and the way you take something that's so old and perform it with such beauty and humor is just incredible. It makes the past just come alive, and it literally brought a tear to my eye.
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
Payne, I beleive that when you finish the project many people such as myself will be very happy to purchase a copy.

-Max
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Profile of Mr. Fumblethumb
If you publish on Barnes and Noble or Amazon, you bypass the problems of book publication. You also have some control over price. Everyone who buys a copy has to buy it from you and and can't pass it around or resell their copy.

Not good for H&R Books or those of us who like books. It's also hard to leave something for posterity in the "Cloud".
When I vanished the knife at the end, the lady said;"You just made my day." And she had just made mine.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 21:28, Mr. Fumblethumb wrote:
If you publish on Barnes and Noble or Amazon, you bypass the problems of book publication. You also have some control over price. Everyone who buys a copy has to buy it from you and and can't pass it around or resell their copy.

Not good for H&R Books or those of us who like books. It's also hard to leave something for posterity in the "Cloud".

It is possible to publish with Lulu.com and get distributed by Barnes and Noble or Amazon or...; and Mr. Fumblethumb is right, this allows controlling the pricing all along the chain. Another solution is to go with Lybrary.com which is a pretty fair deal.

Now Curtis Kam went through the Lulu.com process and has some experience that could benefitiate other members here.

The experience that I have with either H&R or Hermetic Press is that they are overloaded with good projects and that it takes between one and two years (at best) for a book to get out... but you are in very good company in both instances.

Another very good (even if less known) way is to go through Gabe Fajuri, who is quick, knowledgeable, pleasant and very honest

That's really a matter of choice on Master Payne's part.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I will go the same route I took for my first book on the perforance of magic "Sometimes the Jokes are Just for Me" and publish them through LULU and Lybrary.com

This allows me to have both a physical and virtual copy of the book available with minimum cash outlay. I also won't end up with a storage unit of inventory that will taje years to sell down. Plus LULU takes care of all the shipping as well.

It would be great if H&R or Hermetic would publish my work(s). But alas I'm too small of a fish for them to take interest, or the monetary risk to publish anything I might write. Steve Minch is a friend of mine so I know how carefully he evaluates the marketability of a book before he considers working on it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I loved the first book, so I will definitely buy the second one.
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Master Payne,

It is an honor to meet you. As a member of the target audience for this book (I do medieval recreation and am thinking upon embarking upon a side-venture in the Renaissance fairs), I thought I would like to add my two cents. Please note that I am new to prestidigitation, but have 30+ years of medieval recreation.

First, the past couple of months I have been looking at various videos of Renaissance Fair magic shows, and I find your performances to be superior. Your character is someone I believe I might actually meet during the Middle Ages/Renaissance. With regards to the book/video, I think having videos of as many of your routines as possible in your MA/R persona (with costume) would be highly valuable to any aspiring medieval/Renaissance jongleur. While the sleights of the MA/R are not different from more modern methods (the timelessness of legerdemain), I think that watching you as the MA/R joungleur would give the aspiring m/R jongleur stylistic instruction that one cannot get from reading a book.

As for the book itself, I think omitting a section on cup and balls would leave the work complete. At the same time, a discussion of cup and balls through history--starting perhaps with the illustrations found in works like Volkman's The Oldest Deception and the routine provided in Hocus Pocus Junior, to more modern routines, would more than justify such an independent work on C&B.

Even if you decide to limit the number of routines in the video, I would love to see more of your MA/R on YouTube. It is both entertaining and inspirational.

Henry le Tregetour
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

With regards to the previous message,

I meant to say that omitting the cups and balls routine from the general Renaissance Fair magic book would leave it INCOMPLETE.

Thanks,

HylTreg
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I agree with Mr. Woolery when he says "Personally, I'd like to see it in the same book with your other medieval magic. Cups and balls is so much the definitive trick of the middle ages (almost any illustration of a medieval conjurer shows him with cups and balls) that leaving this routine out of the book would be making the book incomplete."

Either way, I hope to goodness you'll be kind enough to include some more theory and your unique perspective on magic and creating routines and characters. I'm still reading your last book, and applying concepts here and there for my performances and routines.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1796 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A book on renaissance fairs would be incomplete without a section on the cups and balls. I would hope that such a book, in addition to tricks, would include information on renaissance fairs, how they got started, their history, where they can be found today. I have never been to one. I remember there being one somewhere in my life, but I don't remember where or when.

Payne's personality certainly comes across different, friendly, than what one would expect viewing that scary looking icon. (Looks like he's about to bite your head off!)
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Master Payne:

I really enjoy your book, "Sometimes the Jokes are Just for Me". The way you describe your thinking process of converting tricks to your performance style is particularly interesting.

When you release your book on the cups and balls, I will be one of the first to purchase.

Best,

Leo
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Sorry if I'm a little off topic.

Ray,

I also live in Arkansas (Fayetteville). WRT nearby Ren Faires, Texarkana has one on the first weekend of October, and Muskogee, OK, has one that takes place every weekend in May. The Dallas-Ft. Worth area also has one or two very large fairs that run a month or two each. See the Renaissance Faire Page (www.renfaire.com/‎) for more details. I believe the Texarkana fair is not listed on the page, but it is on the internet.

Henry
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Thanks for the compliments and high praise guys.

The book is coming along. I'm hoping to get pictures and companion video taken at Faire this year and shooting for a holiday release. Though I'm not specifying which holiday.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Hey, Payne-

Just as a little begging from me, if you have it available with video by the Christmas shopping season, I will finally know what to tell my wonderfully supportive wife what to get me. I bet there are a lot of guys here who feel the same. Hint, hint...

That said, if it takes longer to get it right, I'd rather get a better version than one you rushed to complete for a particular deadline. Reluctantly, I have to say that if you need more time than anticipated I would rather wait. Only just, but still.

I still have this love/frustration feeling with your cups and balls. I see it as the epitome of what I'd like to be able to do with the trick, in terms of audience entertainment, but now that I've seen it I worry that any efforts on my part would turn into copying you. If you at least release it in a book and I buy the book, I will feel like I have bought the right to use at least some of your routine without feeling like a thief. Copycat, maybe, but not a thief. ;-)

-Patrick
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Master Payne-

Waiting.

Your humble servant and ardent admirer-

Motley Mage.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Is there anyone out there who could just take a video camera to one of Payne's performances then follow him home and beg for his thoughts about the routines he uses? I would pay cash money for a very basic video if it includes his performing and his thinking.

Holiday release? Please?

Patrick
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
If he came for a holiday to London I'd do it.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:

If he came for a holiday to London I'd do it.

I'll be in London in November for the International Magic Convention
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2014, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Is there anyone out there who could just take a video camera to one of Payne's performances then follow him home and beg for his thoughts about the routines he uses? I would pay cash money for a very basic video if it includes his performing and his thinking.

Holiday release? Please?

Patrick

That would be cool. I would also pay for that.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Shall we 'do it', then, sir? It would be both an admirable time and place in which to achieve such a thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A Book on Master Payne's Cup and Ball Routine? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL