The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A Book on Master Payne's Cup and Ball Routine? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1760 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Payne:

Your cups and balls routine is superb...one of THE best cups and balls routines I have ever seen in my life. Congratulations!

To answer your questions:

I would think it would make sense to offer this routine as BOTH a standalone manuscript/Digital Download which you can later re-package and then later redistribute as a chapter in your planned book.

That way you can get some mileage out of it and magicians can have two different purchase options at two different price points.

The cups and balls are certainly important enough in the history of magic to warrant this, and your routine has enough twists and turns to offer a unique performance advantage to workers.

Best of luck on your new book...I look forward to seeing it.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 12:17, Bapu wrote:

So if you do write a book, I hope it is filled with the philosophy, conclusions, best practices, etc, resulting from your years of experience and thought concerning the perfection of your craft. Don't teach me how to p*lm and ball. Instead, show me how to "send it off to distant Pluto". Teach me how to tell a story, when to pause, when to cajole a bit, when to give a wink to a child. Teach me how to be a magician Master Payne, teach me how to be a magician.

Now that would be a book I would pay some serious $$$ for. Smile

I'm with this. I'd buy a performance theory book from you in a minute. Or a bible, whichever you write first.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 21:15, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

I'm with this. I'd buy a performance theory book from you in a minute. Or a bible, whichever you write first.

I've already written a book on part of my performance theory. It's available here

http://www.lulu.com/shop/master-payne/so......010.html

It is my thoughts on the performance of magic as well as the creativity matrix I use to create new presentations. It includes several of my routines as examples of my thinking. I'm still working on the Bible. I know how it ends. I'm just having trouble working out the begining.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Wonderful routine! My vote is both printed and dvd formats.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Didn't you also made a filmed lecture on certain topics that your book for sure covers? Is that marketed?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Master Payne, I agree with Lawrence, FatHatter, and all the rest of your fans. I have watched your performance repeatedly and continue to be entertained. I have your Sometimes the Jokes...and found it invaluable. I would snap up a longer work on general magic or the cups, or both. And a DVD package with them.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I'm going to buy the book (the one on lulu) one of the following months.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-10-06 14:55, Lawrence O wrote:
Didn't you also made a filmed lecture on certain topics that your book for sure covers? Is that marketed?

The talk is called "Why do we Repeat ourselve" and can be found on Jeff McBride's Magic and Meaning PEP Talk Page http://www.magicalwisdom.com/infopages/view/mm_talks
tom crecelius
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tom crecelius
Master Payne..... I love the routines, the costumes, and the presentation. Insight from you as well as Bill Palmer or any performer that has done this for years and knows the ins and outs of it is very valuable to anyone wanting to try it out. Experience is the best teacher and YOU, SIR (pun intended there) know your stuff. Best of luck and keep us infomed of how, when, cost, and such.....
Tom
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
I am looking forward to the new book on Mediaeval\Renaissance performing. Please let us on the Café know when you release that one.

-Max
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2012-10-06 18:44, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-06 14:55, Lawrence O wrote:

The talk is called "Why do we Repeat ourselve" and can be found on Jeff McBride's Magic and Meaning PEP Talk Page http://www.magicalwisdom.com/infopages/view/mm_talks

I remember another one in a less flamboyant stage with a board where the topics were written and about, if my memory serve well, scripting(?) magic ...with do and don't

The filming wasn't as crisp as the one that you generously extended, but the thinking was
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 09:45, Lawrence O wrote:

I remember another one in a less flamboyant stage with a board where the topics were written and about, if my memory serve well, scripting(?) magic ...with do and don't

The filming wasn't as crisp as the one that you generously extended, but the thinking was

I don't do "less flamboyant" Smile

The one you are describing doesn't sound familiar to me and I can't recall doing one focused on scripting. But if there is one out there of me like you describe I'd like to see it as well Smile
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 21:33, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 21:15, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

I've already written a book on part of my performance theory. It's available here

http://www.lulu.com/shop/master-payne/so......010.html

It is my thoughts on the performance of magic as well as the creativity matrix I use to create new presentations. It includes several of my routines as examples of my thinking. I'm still working on the Bible. I know how it ends. I'm just having trouble working out the begining.

Hi Payne:

Long time no see!

I can help you out with your Bible problem. "In the beginning God...." Smile

And sign me up for a complimentary copy of you C&B while you're at it. And please autograph it for me.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
"less flamboyant" was only referring to the stage offered to the firy words that set ablaze your audiences Smile
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
If you publish this I know I will put it into my Ren Faire act. Smile

Publishing - the gift of immortality.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2714 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Payne I say go for it. I'd say put it in the book with the other items however.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Payne, I'm surprised you're asking! Your C&B routine and performance are both excellent. I think more people should be aware of your magic and humor and of you as a performer. Yes, there is a market to purchase whatever material you're willing to share in whatever format you choose.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Thus the thread raised a question worth repeating: Master Payne are you going to publish your routine or leave us in pain?
:)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-18 07:33, Lawrence O wrote:
Thus the thread raised a question worth repeating: Master Payne are you going to publish your routine or leave us in pain?
:)

I've begun work on the project with next April as my deadline. Whether I have it completed bythen or not is the question. I am a slow writer. It took me Twenty minutes just to type this response.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I will be one of the people who buys this Smile.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A Book on Master Payne's Cup and Ball Routine? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL