The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Hook them at a Moment's Notice! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
What tricks do you usually show to people you want to APPROACH and want to get hooked to your magic?

I'm sure there are those tricks that you HAVE TO do to keep someone interested in you before you might actually proceed to your "a-list" of magic in your routine. What are they?

Any tips on choosing STARTERS when performing for strangers, friends or basically anybody for as long as you wanna START something...at a moment's notice.

Thanks! Smile
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Something visual is good. Recognize the need to rely not just on "the trick" but "the presentation" and, therefore, the personality you let them see as you approach.

Without any props, I would do Gregory Wilson's three-quarter across.
AutoX
View Profile
New user
British Columbia
59 Posts

Profile of AutoX
If you’re looking for attention getting, the Ambitious Card routine is pretty good (although you need a pack of cards with you.)

Also, if you’re into Blaine-style magic, the arm-twisting routine is good.
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
253 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
I think if you want to get your audience into you, you have to have to open with something that lets them know they are seeing something special. I would recommend a production of a coin into a nice one-coin flurry with a complete vanish, but that is my style. It depends of your style of performing, but I would not recommend bringing out a deck of cards right away and going into your favorite card trick. I would save that for the end and do your strongest card trick. What I have seen to work best is to open up with an impromptu effect with a common object like a business card or money and then get into the other stuff, at least that is my view on it. Thanks,

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I start and finish with my A material.

Anything you use to "hook" your spectator should be from your A material. After all, isn't that why it's in your A list???

For an opener I like Chicago Surprise by Whit Hayden. It makes a great opener! I also do a bit I call my small opener that hits them real big. You can pm me if you want to know more.
Daniel Faith
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
I LOVE to start with the ambitious card, but for some reason, I'm kind of worried that people might look down on me even before I start my routine because I'm going to show them some "lame trick with cards."

But I guess I can always start it with "have you ever heard of a card trick that uses a marker?" Smile
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Crazyman handcuffs is a good one, its short, its visual and it can happen in their hands. Coin production or coin flurry is also a good choice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Hook them at a Moment's Notice! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.48 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL