The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » SHUTTERBUG (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Excellent idea, Doc. The more the merrier. The most stimlating discussion I've had in magic. Thanks guys.

Marc
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I posted a new version of the poem on the Outlaw forum (The Poem Redux). Hope Rick doesn't mind the rewrite.

* The acrostic message more clearly identifies the killer - I view the acrostic (acronym) as the killer's signature
* More taunting and insulting to Detect1ve Lew1s
* The meter and number of syllables is more fluid I hope and all of the lines rhyme

I am rewriting the poem on 4 separate artifacts. Perhaps the image will give you a clue as to the nature of my arts and crafts project Smile

Tim

Click here to view attached image.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 16:14, mcharisse wrote:
Excellent idea, Doc. The more the merrier. The most stimlating discussion I've had in magic. Thanks guys.

Marc

Purchased.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 01:08, konjurer wrote:
I posted a new version of the poem on the Outlaw forum (The Poem Redux). Hope Rick doesn't mind the rewrite.

* The acrostic message more clearly identifies the killer - I view the acrostic (acronym) as the killer's signature
* The meter and number of syllables is more fluid I hope and all of the lines rhyme

I am rewriting the poem on 4 separate artifacts. Perhaps the image will give you a clue as to the nature of my arts and crafts project Smile

Tim

No problem.

BTW has anyone looked at the first letter of each line of the poem?
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Y'know what I like about this effect as well... it doesn't have to be supernatural at all. Not at all.

However, I will make it so for me as I find adding supernatural is what makes me present things more intensely...

What also has been bubbling in my mind is making this a TWIN PEAKS style presentation. Who killed Laura Palmer????? Has there been weird things that have been happening in this town for years... centuries... ancient aboriginal tales of the spirits of the fog... the Dark Lodge...

You could even make this a bit lighthearted (dodges thrown firebrand)... by making the party invitees agents of the FBI, police, etc...

One last idea - a recent murder took place in the same area that has similar aspects... in fact... a pattern is there... and the clues to solve the current murder involve solving the old one... before the killer strikes again!

(How can the killer kill every 70 years? cuz its supernatural Smile)...

Anyway - lots of ways to spin this... but I am going to do an old style Twin Peaks party for this for sure... and add in the 15th tech photo as I posted at OUTLAW and other additions...

Cue the Angelo B Music...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bu47aWv0Fo
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 05:41, Roth wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 01:08, konjurer wrote:

Tim

No problem.

BTW has anyone looked at the first letter of each line of the poem?

Yes, it's awesome. That is what I was referring to...

An "acrostic" is a message in the first letter of each line. I enhanced the acrostic within my version to convey a more direct message - what I referred to as the signiture of the killer. See my attached image to my post above and you can see the tweaked acrostic on the right hand side of the image.

:)
Clever stuff goes here!
Xizzy
View Profile
Regular user
Italy!
166 Posts

Profile of Xizzy
Hello all!
I'm new to this kind of magic, so be patient Smile

I don't understand how this piece work. Is this like a role playing game with the performer acting as a master?

What kind of "magic effect" is going do perform?

What is covered in the instructions (if there are any) and what it's left out?

I found this product very very interesting.

Thanks!
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I didn't understand what I was buying when I purchased Shutterbug. The Outlaw Effects web site explains the props you get. The props are beautiful. Be aware that the plot takes place in the United States.

So what is Shutterbug you ask? Shutterbug provides a basic routine and props. There is a "main" effect where your spectator is led to a key piece of evidence. This "revelation" is made by walking in the path of the killer...a trail of photographic breadcrumbs. Tantalizing clues left behind by a sociopath with a camera.

You are provided a story about a missing woman, a suspect, a detective and at least one crime (maybe more). But, no clear conclusion to the story is provided! You are free to let the spectators solve the mystery the story...or not.

There is at least one other secret in the poem that, if scripted correctly, could be very creepy and fun. Rick referred to it a couple posts back.

I believe Shutterbug could be presented as a murder mystery, or something darker or more paranormal. This could be a 10 minute routine or it could take you all evening if you choose to construct an elaborate routine and add your own props.

Shutterbug is not easily made into a stage effect and nor walk around in a restaurant. It will require some table space or a way to display the photos. In my opinion, this is more of a dinner party event or a parlor routine. I think the audience would be rather small for this to work.

That's my take...hope it helps!

Tim
Clever stuff goes here!
Xizzy
View Profile
Regular user
Italy!
166 Posts

Profile of Xizzy
Thank you Tim, you are raising the curtain a bit.

I made a living with murder parties years ago and this offers share some characteristics to classic murder parties.
But some are so strange to that world that made this product unusable for that kind of evenings.

Two for all: the reduced audience and the unclear ending.

Mystery lovers wants a culprit. It's a requirement.

But I still don't understand the magic effect. Is it some kind of force?

You rightly specified that the story is based in US. I'm in Italy, so it would be helpful if the props have little to no text.

Thank you! I'm really intrigued!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
The ending can be made clear - or not. its a performer's choice.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
And the ending can be more detective story or supernatural effect, again, performer's choice.

Marc
Xizzy
View Profile
Regular user
Italy!
166 Posts

Profile of Xizzy
I must resist...

Purchased!
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 14:32, Xizzy wrote:
I must resist...

Purchased!

Head over to the OutlawEffects forum as soon as you get this. There is a good conversation going on there in the Shutterbug sub-forum.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Xizzy you won't be disappointed - if you take your time - you'll see it has numerous presentation aspects - from mood setting - murder mystery fun to supernatural horror and more

Join the discussion and have fun
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1002 Posts

Profile of kcalB
I need to make time to get over there.
SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I do not have this yet,but may I ask?
Can the photos,be added to a old photo album,then removed to go into play?
Or,would this affect presentation? (not asking exposure!)

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yes they can
And that can work really well to so you can build the story and show thr backs when you want
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of gmeister
There's been some excellent comments here by those who REALLY understand Shutterbug (or are starting to), however they've only scratched the surface.

There's much more to come--much, much more--but not yet, not yet.

RIP Mary.

Or not.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Not sure where I should post this, but it just occurred to me that the way I want to do this is to turn the photos away from me and build the TC diagram from that point of view rather than with me looking at them face up.
If that's what others have already thought through better than me I apologize for being the big dummy, but I gotta say that really really just rocked my world and altered my fundamental understanding of this trick.

Posted more on forum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » SHUTTERBUG (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL