The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding Coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of desert_gold_hound
I have never had a folding coin and was thinking about adding one to my next order however after looking at the images on one site (not the site I am using) I am having second thoughts. Do all quarters look like this?

I think if I saw this I would see the slit right away.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
First of all, welcome to the Café. secondly, that is a kennedy half dollar - not a quarter. and to answer your question - yes, most all folding coins are made that way and will stand scruteny when handled properly. people have been getting away with these coins for years and years.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Yes your right its a half dollar its a quarter I am ordering.

I will wait until I can buy a video or book on the proper handling. I have purchased a few items without getting proper handling info and just put them in a never to use box. Then I asked on this forum about the good old TT and after buying the video I was amazed at the ability of the TT and now think its my favorite tool.

Thanks again for the info and help.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The quarters are decent as I recall but I like halves better since they stretch the band better which holds it together better and causes it to snap back better. But they may use a smaller band for a quarter (im not sure)

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
You can buy quarter folders in two configurations: two-cut or center-cut. The center-cut quarter simply folds once in the center. Depends on what you plan to do with it. For a Coin In Bottle routine a center-cut folder works fine. Here's a link to the center-cut folder at Mark Mason's site: http://www.jbtvusa.com/j-b-coin-tricks/c......-388.php

Jim
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I have only had one instance of somebody 'seeing' anything when I have done something with my folding half, and it is because I didn't change the band and it broke as I was trying to do coin in bottle.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I use a walking liberty half and keep 2 bands in the groove.

Smile Smile
tm613
View Profile
Regular user
Phila, PA
124 Posts

Profile of tm613
Different sized bands are used
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

OK thanks all. Any advice on book or dvd for these that are resonable priced?
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Modern Coin Magic by Bobo is only $9.95 at Elmwood Magic. It's the best source out there.
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Perfect I ordered the book through my local book store (no shipping). I will order my coin('s) after I receive the book.

I cant wait to glance through it.
Nathan Horne
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased TKO 2.0 and really like how clean you are able to perform the 'coin in bottle' routine. My major problem is that I live in South-Africa so I want to use a Five Rand coin. Unfortunately nobody manufactures these. I came across a site (actually the second site you find when Googling 'making a folding coin').

I spent the whole of yesterday morning trying to find a jeweller to cut the coin for me, but nobody could help. Not sure if they think I'm going to commit a crime with the coin... hehe. Have any of you tried to construct one of these?

Thanks
Jonathan Gold
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
38 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Gold
Get yourself a fine jewler's saw and a small vice and have a go at it yourself. Worst case scenario, you loose the value of the coin.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
When I worked at Magic Masters we sold Johnson Quarter in a bottle. I did the trick about 20 times per day. Borrowed a quarter to start it off. It ends by the coin falling out of the solid bottom of the bottle in the spectators hand that loaned it to you. The handling is pretty simple and I would be willing to share it by PM if anyone is interested.

I also recommend that you use 2 rubber bands on the coin and not just one. This will make it tighter and give some security against breakage.

Also don't worry about the State Quarter issue. Just make sure you don't ever call attention to which state is on either quarter. You can call attention to the year if you like, on the borrowed quarter, that way when you give it back they can verify it is theirs.

It is a great trick if you can borrow a bottle and a quarter. When I worked at Magic Masters the World of Coca-Cola was right near us and they gave away an old glass bottle of coke to everyone taking the tour, it was $3 for the admission fee back then. If I saw a spectator in the crowd with an empty glass coke bottle I always asked to borrow it. We kept one behind the counter but I sold more when borrowed the bottle and the coin.

We also did the Johnson "Cigarette through quarter" we always used a borrowed bill to roll up and push through the quarter. We borrowed the quarter too. The handling is not too different than that of the Quarter in the bottle. It is almost Sleight free.

Both of these are great tricks done with a "borrowed" quarter.
Nathan Horne
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 14:29, JonathanGold wrote:
Get yourself a fine jewler's saw and a small vice and have a go at it yourself. Worst case scenario, you loose the value of the coin.

Cool, I'm sure I can buy one locally. The R5 coin should be easy to modify as it already has a groove running around its edge.
Jonathan Gold
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
38 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Gold
You'll need to deepen the groove a bit, but it will certainly help you line things up.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
One more detail, some craftsmen do the cut alongside the contour of the face appearing on the coin rather than across as can be seen on the photo you show. It's not a major point for performance but a nice detail for the performer/collector as the cuts are even more invisible. So you may want to ask your supplier but don't spend a fortune just on that account
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I agree - they usually call that a "profile cut", even though it isn't always a profile showing! That way the cut is right along the relief line of the head on the coin, thus more difficult to see.

Also, consider that you really shouldn’t be giving anyone a good long look at the folder. Try to keep it moving, even if only slightly. They can see the coin well enough but it is difficult to see cut lines when your eyes are trying to track along the movement of the coin. Keep your normal/real coin - that you will switch to - palmed the whole routine and you can show that more freely, before and after the effect.

Good luck!

Jim
Siekomagic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
76 Posts

Profile of Siekomagic
Nathan

I am also in South Africa and the problem with the new SA R5 coin is the center of the coin. It falls apart so I would suggest using the old R5 coin. Another thing would be to modify the R2 coin as it is the same size a s a quarter. You are welcome to PM me and I have a mate that manufactures them Smile

Hope that helps. you can also find me on my website
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2012-10-03 13:23, desert_gold_hound wrote:

I think if I saw this I would see the slit right away.

When you say slit, are you referring to the groove around the perimeter? Or the cuts at the folds?

Keep in mind that the folds obviously look much better when the coin is flat, and the outside groove shouldn't really be seen.
You keep the coin on a flat plane perpendicular to the line of sight. You wouldn't really hold the coin on edge when showing it anyway.

If it's well-made and handled properly the gimmick should never be detected.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding Coin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL