We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How long? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Basically what I need to know is how long a show I should be doing at festivals.

I've done one so far and I had to scrap part of my show right there because somehow in preparing for that day I had forgotten that most of my audience would be kids, and kids can't keep up with card tricks. anyway, with the card tricks I could pretty much just do card tricks till I got a crowd built and then move into the rest of my show, but without them I'm gonna time my show.

So what I really need to know is how long of a show you think I should do at the next one (coming up on the 13th) I thought doing a shorter show would be best at a festival, but then I've heard others say a longer show. anyway I'm gonna shut up now and let you guys share you're opinions, seeing as you are the experienced ones.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
15 mins is about the max you can expect an audience to pay attention. This includes draw, set AND hat.

You've already learned the hard way that cards = death of attention on the street(s)... unless it's something short and visual. Color changes, haunted deck... packet tricks work well.

Good luck!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Haha yeah, I had planned all of my card tricks to be fairly visual, but even that wouldn't cut it for me at the festival, because all the really young kids just don't understand the concept of a deck of cards... anyway thanks for the help with the time, and yeah, deffinately learned that, at least in festivals, cards won't cut it at all. would love to try them on the street outside of festivals, but I live nowhere near a city haha
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
I guess I'm a little curious if the festival hired you or not. They may have something in mind if they're paying you. Otherwise, if you're just busking, 10 to 15 should be ok. After a while your show may get longer, but that might take some time.

Personally, I'd shy away from the card tricks, especially if you're attracting a young audience. They seem to like the simple stuff.

Keep at it. Let the audience teach you.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Not hired, actually at the last one I didn't even ask permission to be there because apparently they don't understand the internet, I couldn't find any info on who was running it so I just showed up and did my thing. this next one I'm doing is in my home town, so I'm just gonna show up again haha.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I'll echo Ekuth's thoughts. Unless you're a honed, steely-eyed busker, and I am not a honed, steely-eyed busker, but I do have aspirations to same, I'd keep my show to 12 to 16 minutes.

I've tried 20-plus minute shows, and eight-or-so-minute shows, and found the 12- to 16-minute show gains me more hat, and that's as good a judge as I can think of to point out if I'm on the right track.

That's my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
$.02 doesn't buy you a full opinion anymore, please insert $2 and try again lol. seriously though thanks, everybody seems to agree on something arround 10-15 minutes
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Kozmo explains this well in his "Tales From the Street" DVD.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Ropes - professors nightmare style - fiber optics, Silk Vanish, other visual, non-card effects. I recommend anything but card tricks. 10-15 minutes is the most!
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
So maybe I am missing something but if your working for tips your magic should be directed to the folks that pay. There are a ton of good performers doing cards on the street....but they do them for the adults....kids don't have jobs...don't change your show for children unless that is what your paid for....and a solid 12 to 15 min. show will take you anywhere.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Aye, they kids parents pay typically!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Children are the road to the money in the parent's pockets.
They are also the road to the true reward of our art; that look of wonder.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I figure theres a lot of kids there who have parents with money, as well as plenty of people who have their own money, so I'm aiming for stuff that kids can understand, but adults can be entertained by.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
A point of caution - don't let yourself get turned into a baby sitting service. Parents may think they can run and do something quick while the kids are busy. You are correct - keep the adults entertained. But keep them close.

On a few occasssions I've had some totally obnoxious kids (under 10 years old) that badly needed some lessons in social skills right up front. They were loud and unruly. They grab your stuff and don't understand 'no.' A complete disruption for every one. The parents were no where to be found. They were probably happy to get rid of them for a little while. And those kids certainly don't tip.

Situations like that always reinforces for me why I never do kid shows.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Yea Pizpor, I've had the old drop 'em off the magi will babysit. As soon as I finish that show, I pack up and take a break and move to another spot. The parents are upset when they return and their "angels" have been misbehaving but so what. I have also stopped a show and yelled at the parents that were leaving "Hey you forgot your kid." The crowd loves it but the guilty ones don't.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
What do you think this is ... A creche?
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Yikes, I definitely don't wanna be a babysitter, hope nobody does that, if I noticed it I'd be the first to stop and say something to them. I'd rather have them walk away with their kid than leave the kid there and go do something else, I'm losing a tip either way right?
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
In festival context, they could appear just like in this video... first show in the morning, Edu start the show, imagine dozens of them apearing... I couldn't tell them to go away... so lets start the show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......Q7VrPaD8

Edu
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Great job Eduardo!
I ESPECIALLY liked how you adapted by lowering your performance pad,
so everyone could sit and also view everything that you were doing.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 19:45, Devious wrote:
Great job Eduardo!
I ESPECIALLY liked how you adapted by lowering your performance pad,
so everyone could sit and also view everything that you were doing.

Devious, that detail I learned from Peter Wardell... this guy, is the REAL DEAL in magic, performing, busking... now I understand why everyone call him MASTER... Luís de Matos staff told me that years ago, in Lisbon, by the Street Magic World Festival he did a incredible 2 hours show, the audience freaked out... any material or lecture from him is precious...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How long? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL