The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Elementary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Are others on the Café enjoying the new updated takeon Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson as much as I am?

Johnny Miller is fantastic as Holmes. For me, the Jury is remains out on a female Watson, but the character is still in the early stages of develoment, so I want to give lucy Lu the benefit of the doubt.

I've only watched two episodes ,but have enjoyed what I have seen.

Basil Rathbone and the now deceased PBS Holmes set a high bar in the past

Newcomers however, are stepping up to the plate.

Anyone else care to comment?

Kotah

How about you ? Any comments?

Kota
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
Hi Kotah, I haven't seen the U.S version, but I MUST recomend you the U.K one, in case you haven't seen it...
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 09:41, OnTiltSoon wrote:
Hi Kotah, I haven't seen the U.S version, but I MUST recomend you the U.K one, in case you haven't seen it...

The UK version stars Miller's best mate Domininc Cumberbach, who is very good, and Watson is Tim Canterbury from, amongst other things, "The Office" (UK version)
It also is written by Mark Gatiss, from "The League of Gentlemen" and occasional writer for Dr Who; Mark co-starred with Reece Shearsmith, UK writer and actor who went to bring us the fantastic "Psychoville", and who haunts these pages under the username of papalazarou...

All things are connected in our Bizarre world...
[
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
810 Posts

Profile of lin
"Elementary" is enjoyable, but I think it suffers greatly in comparison to the BBC's "Sherlock"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/

Maybe available on Netflix?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 10:17, docsteve wrote:
Reece Shearsmith ... who haunts these pages under the username of papalazarou

Is that really Reece Shearsmith?? For real? Can it truly be that the venerable Mr Jelly frequents these hallowed halls?
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 10:41, MatCult wrote:
Quote:
Reece Shearsmith ... who haunts these pages under the username of papalazarou

Is that really Reece Shearsmith?? For real? Can it truly be that the venerable Mr Jelly frequents these hallowed halls?

Search his older posts and drool over his superbly gorgeously gothic cabinet of curiosities, filled with many of Outlaw's and Dan Baines' works!

Now I apologise for derailing this slightly - back on track!
[
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Doc Steve, I agree completely. I did see the newest UK Sherlock on you tube clips. Youthful and edgy, Watson was superb as well.

I also loved the PBS Holmes, their Holmes, Jeremy was excellent. he was so definitive in holmes like quirkiness as to be utterly mesmerizing. Watson complimented him perfectly.

I posted this just to see how the rest of you felt.

I cannot say that I have ever watched an actor in the role of sherlock Holmes which I did not enjoy.

Old, middle aged or youthful/ teen the character penned by Doyle always shines through and entertains.

Kotah
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Jeremy Brett owned the role in the 80s on UK television, with the whole production being critically acclaimed, and staying true to the source (something rare in TV and especially movies).

And even Downey Jnr was huge fun in the films - particularly the first.
[
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Murder by decree? plumber and mason and an all-star cast...
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3750 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I have a very soft spot for Sherlock Holmes. I grew up reading and re-reading both the short stories and the novels. When I was in England, I made a point of paying my respects at Doyle's grave.

I was telling my wife last night how much I really loved the Sherlock Holmes world: foggy London, Sherlock exclaiming "The game's afoot!", horse drawn carriages, sinister strangers, the Baker Street Irregulars -- the way Watson would look at Sherlock with perennial-but-genial confusion as he asked how the Great Detective could POSSIBLY know that, the crappy violin playing...the mysterious Moriarty...I ate it up.

Personally I've been disappointed with Elementary. This updated Holmes is so much...less...than the original. While I like the Watson twist, the stories feel more like Murder She Wrote than a mystery you can get your teeth into. I think it's missing the ambiance of the original -- even the very good BBC series. And Sherlock beholden to an offstage father? Nope.

So I decided that I'd just treat it like any other crime/detective drama. Then I saw the show last night...and when the denouement happened I thought...seriously???? The coma killer, huh? Oh boy. (I'm rolling my eyes here...)

Still it COULD get better, right. I mean it HAS to.

I take your point Kotah. I suspect we share a great affection for the Great Detective. I WANT to like Elementary. I just don't. Yet. Smile

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
I'm with you David. Nothing like the original.
The Lone Stranger
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of The Lone Stranger
Finaly get to watch it in the UK on 23rd October when it airs on Sky Living. Will give it a try but must admit the Sherlock Holmes that I grew up with was Jeremy Brett and will in my opinion take a lot to beat his portrayal of the great detective

Regards

Kevin
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
Quote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 09:41, OnTiltSoon wrote:

The UK version stars Miller's best mate Domininc Cumberbach, who is very good, and Watson is Tim Canterbury from, amongst other things, "The Office" (UK version)
It also is written by Mark Gatiss, from "The League of Gentlemen" and occasional writer for Dr Who; Mark co-starred with Reece Shearsmith, UK writer and actor who went to bring us the fantastic "Psychoville", and who haunts these pages under the username of papalazarou...

Benedict Cumberbach LOL....

Im enjoying them, spotted the new LeStrade actor on Dr Who the other night, but took me ages to recognise him. Interesting takes on the stories I found, and very nice use of new technology like GPS, internet blogs, mobile texts etc
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Sister Lozey, I can feel your sense of joy in your words as you speak of these shows

Yes I have seen the UK version and like it very much. And to my mind, Jeremy brett was the ultimate Sherlock Holmes.
I too love the BBC productions. Superb acting and directing, period settings and costumes, each street sne remarkably is as if one has stepped back in time, and isthere with Holmes and Watson from the start of the case to its resolution.

The US setting with Holmes relocated in NY is definitely a stretch I must admit.

But I enjoy the new take in the hands and acting ability of Johnny, lucy and Adrian.

Love it or hate it, the game is still afoot.

Kotah
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
I believe any name could have been used of this modern detective drama.

The venerable name of Arthur Conan Doyle's sleuth was not brought to mind watching this offering, and shows a lack of originality on the part of the writers and producers.

Like so many titles on the silver screen and "boob-tube" today, remakes and ripoffs of successful franchises from years past are the norm. Talented writers in the golden age of Hollywood came up with thousands of original scripts and memorable characters, because that is what they were paid to do. And they took pride in the task. Highly talented actors brought those characters to life.

Today writers and produces show the lazyness that permeates society. Slap an old label on a new product and hope the buyers do not notice. I have read on the MC of some magicians today that treat older effects the same way. And are blasted for it.

Sherlock Holmes was and is a Victorian character, that worked well thru the mid 30's. I recommend modern writers follow Sir Arthur's lead and conceive a 21st century detective. And if it is done well, they may be talking about that character in the 22nd century.

Yr. Obt Svt.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
tom crecelius
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tom crecelius
Hey KOTAH my friend.... how are Ya?
Tom
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I watched the first episode of Elementary. There is no need to watch another. Once again American Television executives don't understand what it takes to make a successful program. They simply see that a show in England was popular. So they assume they can just take a bunch of generic mystery scripts, change the main actors name to Sherlock and it will be just like its UK counterpart.

The BBC's Sherlock was a clever updating of the Holmesian mythos. Reworking the classic tales and characters. Elementary is just unfilmed Monk episodes.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1360 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:

Sorry, have to correct you here - Watson is played (very well) by Martin Freeman - he was in The Office, appeared as Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's Guide and will soon be seen as The Hobbit (unbelievable).

I haven't seen Elementary yet but I'm not looking forward to it. The UK "Sherlock" is a very clever homage to the original of which I'm sure Sir Arthur would have approved. I can also see a distinct resemblance between the Cumberbatch and Downey versions, even though they are set a century apart. I agree with others, though, for a classic Holmes Jeremy Brett's portrayal is definitive.

Barry
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
851 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 06:18, mindmagic wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, have to correct you here - Watson is played (very well) by Martin Freeman - he was in The Office, appeared as Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's Guide and will soon be seen as The Hobbit (unbelievable).

I haven't seen Elementary yet but I'm not looking forward to it. The UK "Sherlock" is a very clever homage to the original of which I'm sure Sir Arthur would have approved. I can also see a distinct resemblance between the Cumberbatch and Downey versions, even though they are set a century apart. I agree with others, though, for a classic Holmes Jeremy Brett's portrayal is definitive.

Barry

The character Martin Freeman plays in 'The Office' is 'Tim Canterbury'. Smile
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1360 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 06:29, Anthony Black wrote:

The character Martin Freeman plays in 'The Office' is 'Tim Canterbury'. Smile

Thanks and apologies! I'm pleased to say I've never watched The Office - I can't stand Ricky Gervais.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Elementary (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL