The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blain/Tesla/Live online/Now! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
Quote:
On 2012-10-06 14:40, Don Dasher wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-06 14:34, r99h wrote:
I might be showing my age here, but I also can't see the point of this. If there is, as he himself says, a risk to the brain being in an electromagnetic field for that long, surely this is irresponsible to his fiancée and daughter?


You and your silly priorities. You forgot about famous. That trumps family, health and common sense.


DD


Of course! I'll have to reprioritise, or maybe never become famous... Smile
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
A bug zapper is more interesting.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
Ironic, isn't it - with sparks flying all around him, this is one thread where no sparks are flying between the posters?
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
The music they are playing currently is "If I Only Had A Brain" from the Wizard of Oz.

Is someone doing that to him through their Ultrabook? If so, that is hilarious and it may get funnier.


DD
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Just tuned in and there is a disembodied head on view -- you can't see anything else --- for all I know he could be sitting on a sofa having a massage.

This is all really a bit weak.

Wonder what the chances are that, just close to the end of the stunt something goes "wrong" and he has to be pulled out --otherwise this is one long bore-fest.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
I expect there will be a twist ending and he will conclude this stunt by jumping over a shark on water skis.



DD
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
While you fall all over yourselves to talk about how disinterested you are in something (a phenomenon I don't quite understand. "I'm not interested in this. I'm going to engage in communication about it."), you may want to keep in mind that this is a sponsored stunt, not a magic show. It's a commercial, essentially. So trashing Blaine over this would be like trashing Henning over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZ5qEZY6OI

But besides that, you're wrong. This thing is pretty cool and compelling in real life.

Darren Aronofsky gets it:

https://twitter.com/DarrenAronofsky/stat......46750209

So do the people gathered there at 3 in the morning:

https://twitter.com/ant_917/status/25483....../photo/1
http://instagram.com/p/QeGDCaiz4B/

So do people half way around the world:
https://twitter.com/nerdnotfool/status/254839881681993728

Are we so jaded that we can just be indifferent to an event that produces imagery like this?

http://instagram.com/p/QeODXFiPxC/

I feel bad for you if that's not "magical" to you.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 03:55, Magicsquared wrote:
While you fall all over yourselves to talk about how disinterested you are in something (a phenomenon I don't quite understand. "I'm not interested in this. I'm going to engage in communication about it."), you may want to keep in mind that this is a sponsored stunt, not a magic show. It's a commercial, essentially. So trashing Blaine over this would be like trashing Henning over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZ5qEZY6OI

But besides that, you're wrong. This thing is pretty cool and compelling in real life.

Darren Aronofsky gets it:

https://twitter.com/DarrenAronofsky/stat......46750209

So do the people gathered there at 3 in the morning:

https://twitter.com/ant_917/status/25483....../photo/1
http://instagram.com/p/QeGDCaiz4B/

So do people half way around the world:
https://twitter.com/nerdnotfool/status/254839881681993728

Are we so jaded that we can just be indifferent to an event that produces imagery like this?

http://instagram.com/p/QeODXFiPxC/

I feel bad for you if that's not "magical" to you.


I like to think I'm talking about it as a critique of whether its decent entertainment or not --and I'll continue to do so regardless of your sniping.

Calling out as evidence of how good its is the number of tweets being made is , to me fairly irrelevant. Twitter being the jibber jabber of people with nothing better to do.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
The Twitter posts aren't exactly spontaneous mind you. You unlock the third camera by posting #ELECTRIFIED to Twitter. It's a gimmick to try to make it go viral and get some actual press.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 04:54, Ray Chelt wrote:

I like to think I'm talking about it as a critique of whether its decent entertainment or not --and I'll continue to do so regardless of your sniping.

Calling out as evidence of how good its is the number of tweets being made is , to me fairly irrelevant. Twitter being the jibber jabber of people with nothing better to do.


First, I never said anything about the number of tweets being made... but nice try! My post talked about how people are enjoying the event, lining up to see it in the middle of the night, and how it's producing some stunning visual imagery. And that we're getting all this from a commercial. If you want to "critique" commercials, knock yourself out.

Second, technology is a mirror, the fact that you see twitter as "the jibber jabber of people with nothing better to do" tells us a lot about YOU, but it doesn't really say much about twitter or people like Derren Brown, David Regal, Max Maven, Stephen Fry, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Tim Heidecker, Steve Martin, or the countless other magicians, comedians, authors, politicians, athletes, scientists and other people who use it to post interesting or entertaining things all the time. Keep thinking you have it all figured out, Ray, it's really working for you.

Quote:
On 2012-10-07 05:04, Don Dasher wrote:
The Twitter posts aren't exactly spontaneous mind you. You unlock the third camera by posting #ELECTRIFIED to Twitter. It's a gimmick to try to make it go viral and get some actual press.


I understand that #electrified is part of the marketing, but all you're saying is that some of the people using that hashtag want to see more of the event, so you can't really say it doesn't reflect a genuine interest in what's going on. Plus, I was talking more about the experience of seeing it live than the people tweeting about it. I haven't watched it online, but it's cool in person. And I don't think they're hurting for "actual press" -- this has been covered everywhere already. There have been about 50,000 news stories about him in the past week.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 14:17, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 04:54, Ray Chelt wrote:

I like to think I'm talking about it as a critique of whether its decent entertainment or not --and I'll continue to do so regardless of your sniping.

Calling out as evidence of how good its is the number of tweets being made is , to me fairly irrelevant. Twitter being the jibber jabber of people with nothing better to do.


First, I never said anything about the number of tweets being made... but nice try! My post talked about how people are enjoying the event, lining up to see it in the middle of the night, and how it's producing some stunning visual imagery. And that we're getting all this from a commercial. If you want to "critique" commercials, knock yourself out.

Second, technology is a mirror, the fact that you see twitter as "the jibber jabber of people with nothing better to do" tells us a lot about YOU, but it doesn't really say much about twitter or people like Derren Brown, David Regal, Max Maven, Stephen Fry, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Tim Heidecker, Steve Martin, or the countless other magicians, comedians, authors, politicians, athletes, scientists and other people who use it to post interesting or entertaining things all the time. Keep thinking you have it all figured out, Ray, it's really working for you.

Quote:
On 2012-10-07 05:04, Don Dasher wrote:
The Twitter posts aren't exactly spontaneous mind you. You unlock the third camera by posting #ELECTRIFIED to Twitter. It's a gimmick to try to make it go viral and get some actual press.


I understand that #electrified is part of the marketing, but all you're saying is that some of the people using that hashtag want to see more of the event, so you can't really say it doesn't reflect a genuine interest in what's going on. Plus, I was talking more about the experience of seeing it live than the people tweeting about it. I haven't watched it online, but it's cool in person. And I don't think they're hurting for "actual press" -- this has been covered everywhere already. There have been about 50,000 news stories about him in the past week.


I wish you all the best in your deep and abiding fascination with "famous" people no matter what they do. Perhaps you could collect their used handkerchiefs as a sign of the awe even their tweets inspire in you.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 14:26, Ray Chelt wrote:

I wish you all the best in your deep and abiding fascination with "famous" people no matter what they do. Perhaps you could collect their used handkerchiefs as a sign of the awe even their tweets inspire in you.


Hmmm.... when did I use the word famous? By the way, I don't even have a twitter account... but again Ray, really, REALLY, nice try. Keep it up, maybe one of your clever japes will land at some point.

I'm not interested in famous people. I have an interest in the world around me (which does, in fact, include people). It's a trait intelligent people have. Sorry that doesn't resonate with you.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 03:55, Magicsquared wrote:
While you fall all over yourselves to talk about how disinterested you are in something (a phenomenon I don't quite understand. "I'm not interested in this. I'm going to engage in communication about it."), you may want to keep in mind that this is a sponsored stunt, not a magic show. It's a commercial, essentially. So trashing Blaine over this would be like trashing Henning over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZ5qEZY6OI

But besides that, you're wrong. This thing is pretty cool and compelling in real life.

Darren Aronofsky gets it:

https://twitter.com/DarrenAronofsky/stat......46750209

So do the people gathered there at 3 in the morning:

https://twitter.com/ant_917/status/25483....../photo/1
http://instagram.com/p/QeGDCaiz4B/

So do people half way around the world:
https://twitter.com/nerdnotfool/status/254839881681993728

Are we so jaded that we can just be indifferent to an event that produces imagery like this?

http://instagram.com/p/QeODXFiPxC/

I feel bad for you if that's not "magical" to you.


Magicsquared, please stop offering intelligent views on the actual world we live in. We're trying to interact in a bubble here and you keep bursting it.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
It is a magical bubble.



DD
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
What ever happened to his underwater special. Was it ever televised?

John
Nothing is better than more.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
The Prestige brought to life.

Thanks Steve.
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Andrew Csirmaz
There is the Rocky music right now, and he seems to sleep. Wow Smile
EDIT: He woke up. As somebody in the comments said, you are not supposed to sleep while that song is on.
Nefesch
View Profile
Special user
El Salvador
612 Posts

Profile of Nefesch
So, it finished
I thought there would be a big finale, but no.
Kind of feel a little disappointed.

Nef
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 03:55, Magicsquared wrote:
While you fall all over yourselves to talk about how disinterested you are in something (a phenomenon I don't quite understand. "I'm not interested in this. I'm going to engage in communication about it."), you may want to keep in mind that this is a sponsored stunt, not a magic show. It's a commercial, essentially.


I for one am properly chastized. Seeing it in the latest and greatest forum, I didn't realize it was a commercial. Seeing Blaine's name attached, I assumed it was magic related. Finding a post on it, I assumed it was up for discussion.

I see now how mistaken I was and will try to avoid expressing my disappointment in the future.

Can I still be disappointed in people who think it's worth watching? Or is that too negative as well?

Edited to add: I guess it's all finished up. I hope someone had the forethought to record a few dozen hours of it for posterity. 3-DVD set, I reckon.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 22:37, writeall wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 03:55, Magicsquared wrote:
While you fall all over yourselves to talk about how disinterested you are in something (a phenomenon I don't quite understand. "I'm not interested in this. I'm going to engage in communication about it."), you may want to keep in mind that this is a sponsored stunt, not a magic show. It's a commercial, essentially.


I for one am properly chastized. Seeing it in the latest and greatest forum, I didn't realize it was a commercial. Seeing Blaine's name attached, I assumed it was magic related. Finding a post on it, I assumed it was up for discussion.

I see now how mistaken I was and will try to avoid expressing my disappointment in the future.

Can I still be disappointed in people who think it's worth watching? Or is that too negative as well?

Edited to add: I guess it's all finished up. I hope someone had the forethought to record a few dozen hours of it for posterity. 3-DVD set, I reckon.


No one was chastising you, you delicate little flower.

I don't mind negativity. I don't think everything Blaine has done has worked (the stunt he did for Target a few years ago was a dud, the upside-down thing didn't work out). I just thought it was weird to get bothered by a sponsored stunt like this (and not one of his specials, but actually that's kind of weird too). But hey, I know people like to get worked up about stuff, so have at it.

As far as this question you ask: "Can I still be disappointed in people who think it's worth watching? Or is that too negative as well?"

Well, I went and saw it and it was a cool spectacle. People were having a lot of fun, taking tons of pictures, there was live music, people were into it. Can you be disappointed in us? Uhm... okay sure. I hate to break this to you, but nobody cares about your opinion of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blain/Tesla/Live online/Now! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL