The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blain/Tesla/Live online/Now! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
906 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I believe I would have a better appreciation of the event if I had been there live instead of watching on YouTube.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Glad he made it through alive. Wonder what is next?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
It was visually impressive in person. It was menacing and loud.
I took my 10 year old daughter and I am certain she will remember it the rest of her life.
She "gets" the live event tradition.
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 03:34, Decomposed wrote:
Glad he made it through alive. Wonder what is next?

He said this was his last stunt and that he plans to create a stage show and tour with it.

Personally I really enjoyed following the Electrified stunt, as did my family and girlfriend. In an age of videogames and Kardashians, Blaine's live stunt spectacles are a treat. Looking forward to his next magic special.
Cardmagicdavid
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Cardmagicdavid
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 10:25, Exitmat wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 03:34, Decomposed wrote:
Glad he made it through alive. Wonder what is next?

He said this was his last stunt and that he plans to create a stage show and tour with it.

Personally I really enjoyed following the Electrified stunt, as did my family and girlfriend. In an age of videogames and Kardashians, Blaine's live stunt spectacles are a treat. Looking forward to his next magic special.


He talked about the stage show at EMC I think . Should be cool , bit disappointed there was no tv special for electrified , as I heard he was gonna have a new magic tv show this year ?
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
What's next is a DVD. 10 years of Blaine without the stunts that failed.

In other words, Blaine's next special went straight to DVD?


DD
Cardmagicdavid
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Cardmagicdavid
Here's some info about the dvd - The two-disc set includes the televised specials Vertigo, Drowned Alive, and What is Magic? In addition to the specials there is a disc of special features that includes David's Ted Talk, Swimming with Great White Sharks, footage from David's 44 days with no food only water, and the world record breath hold on "Oprah".

The Vertigo tv special was my favourite he performed some great magic in that special Smile
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 23:41, Magicsquared wrote:
No one was chastising you, you delicate little flower.


Thank you. I am easily bruised but equally quick to bounce back.

Quote:
I don't mind negativity. I don't think everything Blaine has done has worked (the stunt he did for Target a few years ago was a dud, the upside-down thing didn't work out). I just thought it was weird to get bothered by a sponsored stunt like this (and not one of his specials, but actually that's kind of weird too). But hey, I know people like to get worked up about stuff, so have at it.


Thank you again. What I found interesting is that an opinion about what I saw as crappy magic was itself cause for opinions about my opinion. I gotta say they seem to have the same standing to me. And I enjoy both. I want to hear what others think. I want to (sometimes) put in a word myself. If what they think is "Meh," then it does express something about what was supposed to be spectacular. I wish more people would tell me when a new effect talked about here is "Meh" -- so I don't have to buy it and find out for myself.

Quote:
As far as this question you ask: "Can I still be disappointed in people who think it's worth watching? Or is that too negative as well?"

Well, I went and saw it and it was a cool spectacle. People were having a lot of fun, taking tons of pictures, there was live music, people were into it. Can you be disappointed in us? Uhm... okay sure. I hate to break this to you, but nobody cares about your opinion of them.


I care. At least enough to spout off. Isn't that enough? I'm certainly not asking anyone to agree with me. Maybe the video didn't do it justice. As a live performance, the music and the crackling electricity, combined with the obvious sting of ozone in the air... well, that might have made all the difference. I didn't care for it on video. I'm not big on cats either, in case that ever comes up.

It occurs to me that a science background might have given me a bias. Instead of a sense of the mysterious, I get a sense of cool for the phenomenon. I think having Blaine there detracted from the sciency part.

Here's an example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dukkO7c2eUE
Same phenomenon, less than two minutes and no David Blaine.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
692 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
"Crappy magic"? Not "mysterious"? This wasn't a magic trick, it was an endurance stunt. So I'm not sure why you would use those standards for judging it.

My old college pal works for Intel and from what he says they were elated with the response to the whole thing. So take that for what it's worth.

For those who like blaine, here is a short clip showing what it was like being there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NJQNs0FYs&list

For those who don't like blaine, here is him getting zapped in the face:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NJQNs0FYs
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
What happened to that other guy named David Blaine? The magician. He was pretty good.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
I was expecting to see a shower of lightning, more like what was advertised.

I think the public consciousness has this images of Tesla, no suit of armor, in a whole room full of lightning.

At the least, it takes more than a science trick to pull people away from facebook nowadays.


DD
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Nyahhh, I prefer the sponge balls.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 16:55, Don Dasher wrote:
I was expecting to see a shower of lightning, more like what was advertised.

I think the public consciousness has this images of Tesla, no suit of armor, in a whole room full of lightning.

At the least, it takes more than a science trick to pull people away from facebook nowadays.


DD


How true. Not just facebook but society today has so many other avenues to keep them entertained. Hope the days of live entertainment will last a few more years, at least until I get my kids through college.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 16:15, FrenchDrop wrote:
What happened to that other guy named David Blaine? The magician. He was pretty good.


He does endurance stunts now. If you are a fan, you get to endure them too.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
You pick a card. You shuffle it back into the deck. I pull out a card randomly. It's your card. We call that magic. It's a 1 in 52 chance.

A man stands on a 20-foot high, 2-foot round platform, wearing a 27-pound chain mail suit, with 8 tesla coils zapping electricity at him for 3 straight days with no food or sleep, with a bunch of guest musicians playing the electricity(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAE7Iwz1BF0 -- that music isn't coming from speakers, that music is the electricity), while people around the world control the electricity from their home computers. We say there's nothing magical about that. That's "meh." That's "boreing"[sic].

Smash cut to a bunch of magicians sitting around having the same discussion for the past 70 years -- "Why are we so culturally irrelevant?" Perhaps it's because our definition of magic is lacking.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I agree MS. I love to see him doing any stunt where he has to stay standing up for days on end. I think he slept standing up on this one but nonetheless, it was something nice to watch. He does not need the money and his name is still a brand.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 15:32, Joe Roberts wrote:

For those who like blaine, here is a short clip showing what it was like being there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NJQNs0FYs&list

For those who don't like blaine, here is him getting zapped in the face:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NJQNs0FYs


Hey, Joe- Thanks for the links, but the first one shows him getting zapped as well as the second one.

And I highly doubt that it was 1,000,000 volts of electricity. Is that really survivable?
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 15:27, Magicsquared wrote:
You pick a card. You shuffle it back into the deck. I pull out a card randomly. It's your card. We call that magic. It's a 1 in 52 chance.

A man stands on a 20-foot high, 2-foot round platform, wearing a 27-pound chain mail suit, with 8 tesla coils zapping electricity at him for 3 straight days with no food or sleep, with a bunch of guest musicians playing the electricity(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAE7Iwz1BF0 -- that music isn't coming from speakers, that music is the electricity), while people around the world control the electricity from their home computers. We say there's nothing magical about that. That's "meh." That's "boreing"[sic].

Smash cut to a bunch of magicians sitting around having the same discussion for the past 70 years -- "Why are we so culturally irrelevant?" Perhaps it's because our definition of magic is lacking.


Fair criticism. Someone on the cutting edge takes risks when they try new things. I can imagine Houdini's contemporaries complaining, "But all he does is get out of restraints. What's so magical about that?"

But when you explore new terrain, you risk "Meh" in the search for "Wow." For me, all sense of spectacle was lost, watching it in a little YouTube window. I gather it was much more impressive live. And I don't have the attention span it takes to really get into a days-long display of endurance. Props to Blaine for following his muse, it just wasn't for me. How long does a boring card trick last anyhow? Three minutes?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Does the past fad of $15 Plasma Balls, where everybody played with one, diminish the exitement of him being inside a Plasma ball?

Looks like it was fun to be there, boring to follow for any length of time, and did he take potty breaks? Or was that what the chainmail suit for really for? Not that it is any of my business. Just curious.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
692 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 15:59, BatsMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 15:32, Joe Roberts wrote:

For those who like blaine, here is a short clip showing what it was like being there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NJQNs0FYs&list

For those who don't like blaine, here is him getting zapped in the face:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NJQNs0FYs


Hey, Joe- Thanks for the links, but the first one shows him getting zapped as well as the second one.

And I highly doubt that it was 1,000,000 volts of electricity. Is that really survivable?


Whoops, meant this for the first one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwmSCyF5Qyw

Or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA-qVYfSPg4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blain/Tesla/Live online/Now! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL