The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blain/Tesla/Live online/Now! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 17:25, writeall wrote:

Fair criticism. Someone on the cutting edge takes risks when they try new things. I can imagine Houdini's contemporaries complaining, "But all he does is get out of restraints. What's so magical about that?"

But when you explore new terrain, you risk "Meh" in the search for "Wow." For me, all sense of spectacle was lost, watching it in a little YouTube window. I gather it was much more impressive live. And I don't have the attention span it takes to really get into a days-long display of endurance. Props to Blaine for following his muse, it just wasn't for me. How long does a boring card trick last anyhow? Three minutes?

Yes, three minutes for a boring card trick. But this only took 30 seconds to appreciate (if it's the type of thing you appreciate). There's no narrative to an endurance stunt, you don't have to watch it like a show. But that's okay, it just wasn't for you. That's valid.

And you're right. Houdini used to perform the straight jacket escape behind a curtain. It didn't capture people's imaginations until he performed it out in the open. If houdini_74 had logged onto the magic Café in 1900 and said, "I think I might perform the straight jacket escape in plain sight for all to see." He would have gotten a lot of "That's not magic" and "boring" and "when are you going to do the King of Kards stuff? That's what I like. And that's what crowds like."

The universe of magic has fuzzy boundaries, and houdini pushed those boundaries to include escape artists. Maybe 100 years from now it will be generally accepted that an endurance artist is a form of a magician. To me, it's amazing and seems in impossible. So for, things like this are magical. It's funny, because WE say it's not magic, but so many in the public try to find out the "secret" to these stunts; he sneaks out of the box in the middle of the night or that's a hologram of him in the ice, etc.

However, the argument may be moot as he announced that this was his last endurance stunt. So who knows what will come next. Whatever it is, I can guarantee you a certain percentage of people here will hate it? How do I know?

Early Blaine - "He's just doing tricks right off the shelf at the magic store. Anyone can do those tricks. He sucks."
Mid-period Blaine - "That stuff is all set up. The jewelry store window was totally gimmicked! Nobody can do those tricks. He sucks."
Later Blaine - "He's standing on a pole? Why isn't he doing tricks? He sucks."
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 15:59, BatsMagic wrote:
And I highly doubt that it was 1,000,000 volts of electricity. Is that really survivable?

Yes, if the amps are low enough. There's a saying: "It's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps." Voltage just measures the potential difference between two points; amperes (or amps) measure the actual current as a function of electrical charge passing a given point per unit of time.

Think of it like water from a fire hose. There might be 3,000 gallons in the pumper truck, but that's no indication of what will happen when the hose is turned on you. If the nozzle is opened a crack, you're going to get wet; if it's opened all the way, you're going end up on your butt a block away. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
The interactive element to this stunt coupled with the beauty of the image that was created is simply amazing. A true piece of modern art. I hope that Magicians in general can look at what is being created here and see that lines are being blurred, boundaries pushed and that there is something in all of this that is far greater reaching than just a simple secret.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 18:44, FrenchDrop wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 15:59, BatsMagic wrote:
And I highly doubt that it was 1,000,000 volts of electricity. Is that really survivable?

Yes, if the amps are low enough. There's a saying: "It's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps." Voltage just measures the potential difference between two points; amperes (or amps) measure the actual current as a function of electrical charge passing a given point per unit of time.

Think of it like water from a fire hose. There might be 3,000 gallons in the pumper truck, but that's no indication of what will happen when the hose is turned on you. If the nozzle is opened a crack, you're going to get wet; if it's opened all the way, you're going end up on your butt a block away. Smile

Thanks, French. So they were really just playing with words the way magicians always play with words. It was hard to believe that 1,000,000 volts were actually zapping him. A tree trimmer was killed in my city a few months ago when he contacted a power line. I'm sure he did not get zapped by anywhere near 1,000,000 volts of power (or did he?), but yet he's dead. I'm pretty sure that Blaine is not crazy enough to play that closely with death.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
So Blaine said no more endurance stunts?
End of an era, that. Another great milestone in the entertainment arts joins the honored few we revere across the mists of time. No one dances like Gene Kelly, or makes a violin like Stradivarius; Houdini is long gone and so is Vernon. It's all about Blaine's legacy now. I can tell my grandchildren I once saw him live, online.

Wanna see a card trick?
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 21:27, BatsMagic wrote:
Thanks, French. So they were really just playing with words the way magicians always play with words. It was hard to believe that 1,000,000 volts were actually zapping him. A tree trimmer was killed in my city a few months ago when he contacted a power line. I'm sure he did not get zapped by anywhere near 1,000,000 volts of power (or did he?), but yet he's dead. I'm pretty sure that Blaine is not crazy enough to play that closely with death.

It definitely doesn't take anywhere near 1,000,000 volts to kill someone. Electric chairs used for executions generally used less than 3,000 volts, but the amps might have been as high as 20.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blain/Tesla/Live online/Now! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL