The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Creativity/protecting ideas etc (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
In the midst of designing and producing my first board game, I came across this posting which I thought could also apply to magic:

"As an aside: People just getting started in creative endeavors often become obsessed with "protecting" their ideas, much to their own detriment as they screw themselves out of opportunities because of this fear. I'm going to give you the single greatest piece of advice a creative person can get:

"Good ideas are a dime a dozen. You will have a billion great creative ideas in your lifetime, far more than you could ever pursue if you lived to be a thousand."

Nobody wants to steal your idea, ideas are a dime a dozen. Nobody is stalking the internet looking for board games to steal. The big game companies don't even know you exist. Nobody wants your idea, and even if they did you have a hundred better ones rumbling around your subconscious. You shouldn't be worrying about protecting IP, you should be trying to build an audience. These two goals often work at cross purposes so you're really better off just forgetting all the legal BS and focus on being awesome."

Although not exactly the same, it's just food for thought.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Um... not sure about part of that.

about establishing a brand and an audience ... can't hurt to have friends and fans.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Creativity/protecting ideas etc (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL