We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » David Roth's Custom Coin Box Set vs. Johnson Products' boxes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

murray
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of murray
Anybody in a position to compare quality, ease of use, etc. of David Roth's Custom Coin Box Set (available, e.g., from Fantasma Magic) with comparable boxes made by Johnson Products -- or others, e.g., Tango Magic. The Roth set in question consists of an Okito box, a Boston box, and what's called a "new coin box" (whatever that is).
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5061 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have 3 Buddah Boxes that work wonderfully 1 plain 1 slotted and 1 with coin inset on bottom making it appear full. The nice thing about Buddah Boxes is they are curved outward making many moves easier
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Also take a look at dayton magic, they have all the jim zee boxes.

these include just about every type of box and they come in dollar sizes
manreb
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of manreb
The major difference between Roth and the two you mention is the lip (shelf) and the box’s inside diameter. The inside diameter permits the use of an [. The Zee box also permits this. The self allows you to perform some of Davis classic moves, never having used a Zee box I cannot comment. Otherwise you can use the other boxes for almost anything. You will have to adjust for weight and the lip on the lid.
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
I have found the Jim Zee boxes and the Roth boxes to be almost identical. Haveing used both.
The Johnson boxes are smaller and have more definite squared edges. I use the Johnson and the Jim Zee (Zachary) boxes all the time in my walk around and restaurant gigs.
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5318 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
The "New" box mentioned in the ad for Roth's boxes is simply a slot box. Not so new anymore but I am guessing that wording is from the original ad.

Jim
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Another difference is the Zee boxes are the only ones mentioned that also come in dollar size, right?
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
772 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Roth, hands down.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
946 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I have both. David Roth's set is much better.
magicbart
View Profile
New user
Chambly, Québec, Canada
84 Posts

Profile of magicbart
David Roth's set !!

Two thumbs up !
What your brain can imagine, you can create it. Dont wait, just do it.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
If I'm not mistaken, I think that Jim Zee made Roth's boxes. I'm not a 100% sure on that. But I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Anybody ?

Roth, Jim's and Johnson's boxes all work great,and all of Roth's routines can be done with any of these boxes, but as with anything some might require a little more practice. I prefer the Buddah Boxes for my routines, only because the lid fits the box better, which makes a few of my sleights are easier.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5318 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-10-13 09:01, mystre71 wrote:
Roth, Jim's and Johnson's boxes all work great,and all of Roth's routines can be done with any of these boxes, but as with anything some might require a little more practice.

Joe

Not quite true. Only the Jim Zee and Roth boxes can accept half $ expanded shells. The others cannot. Not a problem if you never use a shell with your coin boxes, but critical if you do.

Thanks!

Jim
tm613
View Profile
Regular user
Phila, PA
124 Posts

Profile of tm613
Quote:
On 2012-10-13 12:10, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-13 09:01, mystre71 wrote:
Roth, Jim's and Johnson's boxes all work great,and all of Roth's routines can be done with any of these boxes, but as with anything some might require a little more practice.

Joe

Not quite true. Only the Jim Zee and Roth boxes can accept half $ expanded shells. The others cannot. Not a problem if you never use a shell with your coin boxes, but critical if you do.

Thanks!

Jim

Adding to this , there is no Johnson slot box

With Jim zee boxes you can buy individual boxes. Roth's comes as a set
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Sorry about that guys. I wasn't thinking about the E.shell, had my mind on the rim stack stuff when I posted.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
I believe David Roth's set was made by another well-known craftsman, not Jim Zee, but can't recall the name right now. Possibly Roy Kueppers. I have Jim Zee's, and, David Roth's sets. David Roth's set seems to work best for me, as, it seems to have a slightly smaller diameter, but, I haven't compared them with a micrometer. Even the ones I make are a bit large for my hands, but, I've become used to them from so much handling. I do not have a set of Johnson's.

Michael
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5061 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Checked my Buddah boxes and they do not accomadate a [
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1135 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
While I "grew up" on the Johnson boxes, I would not recommend them now primarily because they do not accept shells and the lid is a very tight fit (they are, after all, precision made). That said, they are a good starter box if you just want to play around with the classic routines. I use the Roth box and Jim Zee boxes almost exclusively now. Both makes are very good boxes and offer a variety of designs. As mentioned above, the edge width is one of the primary differences, but also the lid depth. The Roth box has a longer, narrower edge, which I'm not a big fan of for one of my primary moves of hiding a coin in the lid. The Zee boxes lids are shallower and have a beveled edge which makes the aforementioned lid moves easier. HOWEVER, some people like a deeper lid - some like a shallower lid. Hows that for muddying the waters? Smile

As far as aethetics, it's too bad the Buddha boxes don't accept a shell, because they are a very pretty design. I use their Boston box for Chad Long's reverse assembly routine.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 09:54, wandmgc8 wrote:
I believe David Roth's set was made by another well-known craftsman, not Jim Zee, but can't recall the name right now. Possibly Roy Kueppers...
Michael

Roy Kueppers is currently the official manufacturer of the Roth set. You can see the ad here: http://www.roykueppers.com

I have a large collection of coin boxes myself, including all of those mentioned above. As for the workability, the Roth set (even the pre-Kueppers sets) win hands-down on an overall aspect. Besides the Roth set, Roy also does an excellent job in making coin boxes.

That is not to say that the other sets do not have their own unique and great characteristics, but for my style and what I do with different routines, Roth is tops. The Johnson boxes have a really nice weight to them, which I like for certain things. The Jim Zee boxes with their edges, which are more square, also have an advantage in some situations.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I've ended up with most coin boxes. The most important characteristic I've found is that the lid should have a loose fit. The Johnson box you can pick up by the lid if you like, what's that about. This trips you up when you want to drop the box bottom and it hangs with the lid.

The Buddha boxes are nice. Was unaware that they don't hold a S----. Time to break out the Sun and Moon coins. Those are regular size.

P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » David Roth's Custom Coin Box Set vs. Johnson Products' boxes? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL