The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Color doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
taddo
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of taddo
I have been wanting to use a couple colored doves in my act, not all but a couple. I just think it registers better with the audience if your doing a transition type effect. I have been talked out of it by several of my peers for different reasons from white birds look bigger, more beautiful, and that coloring is a pain and most of all it looks freakish.
I think it looks really cool! Of course there comes a point when you have to make your own decisions but I respect their opinions. I know some of the guys here on the Café use them. what are your thoughts. keep in mind my act revolves around feathers and I am in black tails but not traditional by any means. I would like to do a color changing feather to dove toss in my begininng for one example.

taddo
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5035 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Taddo, this subject has been discussed several times here in this forum. I've attached a link for you. This has my method for coloring doves which is entirely safe for the birds.

www.themagiccafe.com
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
I use colored doves and I'll be honest it really is a pain to keep up with it. But since you're only doing a few it shouldn't be too bad. Just keep the colored birds seperate from your white doves because the color will rup off on the white birds and tint them which makes them look dirty. So be careful about that, and just use a method that you know is safe and really take your time with it too. Don't get frustrated, the birds don't really like it and they'll show it one way or another. Good luck,

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Regardless of how safe it actually is, a lot of audiences think it is cruel to dye animals. I used to have a blue rabbit and audiences thought I was mean!
sperris
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Well I think it is different for birds because a lot of times the audience doesn't really know what kind of bird it is if they're colored. That's because it is not uncommon for birds to be different bright colors. Its when you start getting several colors on one bird (and I've seen it done and it always looks terrible) that the audience starts to wonder. Maybe since rabits are not blue they didn't like it.

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
Paul Mazzoni
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Paul Mazzoni
I was also thinking about coloring my birds and I think that they look pretty cool. In my act I am looking for a method to do a color changing dove. Does anyone know where I can find one preferably on video but print would be ok too.
thanks
sperris
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
I use a color changing dove that is my own original handling where the dove changes color with no cover, unfortunately there's already some poor imitations, but I got the rights to use the idea of changing a dove's color by James Celin. He was the guy who originally did some nice color changes, but with cover. However I went to him to get permission to use the idea. If you're going to do a color changing dove you should try to originate your own handeling and do some homework on the history of dove principals and steals to create your own version. But always ask permission when creating something like this to make sure you don't step on anyone's toes. Good luck!

sperris Smile

PS Paul, where around Chicago do you live? I just moved to Schaumburg, if you want to get together and Jam on some dove stuff drop me a line!
DANSPERRY.COM
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I've seen several performers use dyed doves and was not impressed as I knew they were white doves. However! I took my guests to a variety show and they were impressed with the performer's production of the "blue" bird and the "yellow" bird" and the "red" bird and on and on.

Left a big impression on them.

I prefer the production of white doves against dark clothes and dark background.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Coloring doves is impressive. The problem is that it is like bringing a lady a new piece of jewelry every time you see her. You’ll have to keep it up or stay away a long time.

It also limits the use of the bird. I keep about a hundred white doves for magic. It only takes six to do my usual show. But I am very picky about which birds I use in any show because I feel my audience judges me on the condition of the doves in my care. Since I also write Dove Hotline on the Internet I am probably a little paranoid about any criticism of my birds. They must be perfect, if that is at all possible. If I colored some of them it would reduce my choices of which birds I could use on a given day. So I just don’t color them. There certainly are some great routines that would not be as effective if the birds did not come out in colors. However, they just don’t fit my act.

Besides, at my age the white doves match my hair!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Can you use uv paint on doves?

mike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5035 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I wouldn't recommend using paint on the doves. The chemicals in paint wouldn't be good for the skin or the oil on their feathers.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I just take some food coloring, two tablespoons of vinegar, and a cup of water. Put it in a spray bottle and spray the bird down. After that I take cotton swabs and rub it in. Keep putting coats on after the bird dries to see if it's the color you would like.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
So you can not use glow in the dark uv to die the doves? Even if you water it down?

Mike
sperris
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
NO WAY MAN! I wouldn't use the UV stuff, don't forget that these are LIVE ANIMALS and not props. I dye my doves but if I ever saw that I'd hassel you until my voice went out, that's just wrong.

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Don't use anything you wouldn't put in your own mouth, and remember that too much of anything is poison.

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5035 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, Think how you'd feel walking around all day, everyday, with your skin painted. Besides being uncomfortable, it's not a safe thing to do.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Mike if your looking for a glow in the dark effect for your birds just use a black light, the birds natural oils, also them being white, shine tremendously. I produce a bird on a dancing cane ( of course not while it's dancing Smile) under a black light, and the audience loves it.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
See that's why I asked before I tried it. that's what I thought. I really did not want to give it a try util I asked someone else.

Yes they will glow under black light. But only one color. Was looking for a way to have them glow in diffrent colors.

But it looks like you can't do it.

Thanks for you help,
Mike
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Oh I understand. That's actually a really good idea, too bad there isn't some kind of coloring that would do that.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
White doves under black light is really pretty. Granted it is only one color. Remember also that the doves' depth perception works poorly under that light too. You may not want to fly them.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Color doves (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL