The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Branding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Let me ask you a few questions?

1. Who is that magician who wears a plaid suit?
2. Who is the comic who wears black rimmed glasses?
3. Who is vent who has the puppet of a dead terrorist?
4. Who are the magicians that have has the little guy that doesn't ever speak?
5. Who is that magician that looks like Marilyn Manson?

My guess is that everyone on this forum can answer these 5 questions. My guess is that the majority of laymen who enjoy entertainment can answer most of or all of these questions too. Why?

B*R*A*N*D*I*N*G

Sadly, the attention span of our current society (I include myself in this) is about the size of a gnat. You could say your name a million times and people just won't remember it. Case and point...last year someone told me they saw a magician at their banquet several years back and he kept repeating his name and fist pumping the entire time while he said it. They thought it was really annoying but funny all the same. I asked if his name was Bill Malone and they couldn't remember. A world class amazing funny man and they couldn't even remember who the entertainer was. So even if you're "BILL MA-LONE" the audience will likely never remember your name.

This seems to be the standard. How many times has someone told you that they saw this awesome magician and yet they cannot remember their name? Imagine if it's one laymen speaking to another laymen? The conversation may go like this:

A: I was wanting to book a magic act for my next event...know of anyone?
B: We booked someone last year and he was great!
A: Really? Who?
B: I don't remember his name...but he was really good!
A: Meh!

If you haven't thought of a way to "brand" yourself then I think you're missing the big picture. Your magic isn't enough. I believe that everyone needs some kind of "gimmick" to get folks to remember you. Me, my gimmick is "the guy in the yellow suit!" People may not remember my name but they will remember "the guy in the yellow suit." My goal is to have someone google that and my website pops up.

Here is my brand

or on a very hot day...

I hate the color yellow, but it's a guaranteed way to not only command all attention when I walk into a room, but also to be memorable. People might have seen magic before both good and bad. I doubt they've ever seen a guy in a yellow suit before.

...also

My biz cards match my brand

...as does my soon to be redone website: Rough draft not live yet: http://www.christopherlyle.com/new

Food for thought!

BTW...the answer to the above are:

1. Mac King
2. Drew Carey
3. Jeff Dunham
4. Penn & Teller
5. Dan Sperry
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
You're so right, Chris!

Because being a magician isn't my primary occupation, I've approached this idea from the opposite perspective:

When people need an instructor for a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) review course, they don't ask for "that guy who really explained bond duration well"; they ask for the magician, or for the guy in the Aussie cowboy hat.

When people need an instructor for (or consultant in) project risk management, they don't ask for "that guy who who really knows how to put together a Monte Carlo simulation model"; they ask for the magician, the guy in the Aussie cowboy hat, or the guy with the Hot Wheels cars.

(Several years ago a company was looking for someone who could help them put together a CFA course curriculum, so they phoned the local university and the local CFA society. Within thirty minutes I got phone calls from three people telling me that he had contacted them; everyone told him that I was the person to whom he wanted to talk. Why did they all remember me (by name)? The hat, and the magic.)

(By the way, I didn't get Dan Sperry. Sigh. Smile )
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

So your Brand IS that your a magician in your primary line of work. That's great. What about the working pros out there. How do you brand yourself?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Criss Angel is also accepted in place of Dan Sperry. Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-12 00:35, Christopher Lyle wrote:

Whew!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Christopher, what a great post to get everyone thinking and your photos/business card are fantastic.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1422 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Great to see you back here Christopher! You were missed. Smile I don't brand myself, though I've been thinking about starting to.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I agree with Zombie; your posts are always practical as well as thought provoking.

And I make it a policy never to argue with a man in a yellow zoot suit. It's safer that way... Smile

Seriously though, I applaud you for a well thought out and informative post on an area we magicians are probably chronically remiss at.
Any contact with the public, performing or not, is a potential client... standing out can be tough.
I like your simple approach: direct, flashy, comic/humorous and memorable.

Bravo!

P.S. I, for one, would love to see some photos of your 'balloon twisting genius'... who's with me?
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-10-12 00:47, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Whew!

Double Whew!

This branding that I chose started when I was working at a large Halloween haunt. Our show on the stage had actually done so well that we were pulling too many people to the stage and the haunted trail would bottle neck later at night. The management wanted me to work in the crowd at certain times to draw people more toward the entrance to the trail. fearing I would simply disappear into the darkness amomg a few thousand other people, I decided to create a character that would be seen quickly and easy enough to define. The top hat, the funny glasses (which are ironically now in style), the polka dot tie (which now has larger polka dots), the little dude on my shoulder, and the fire book.

The book became a trademark. So I heard myself described as the dude with the book, but also that Amish dude, the Monopoly guy, or that big guy with the ponytail. Whatever term they used, it became easy for someone to identify me. The venue began promoting me as The Illusionist, and that was fine, too.

I decided to use that character for all my stage shows and some walk-around (except for corporate work). My hair is much grayer than this old photo shows, but the character has remained, and still creates interest.

It's not exactly young and cutting edge, but it smacks of magician to a bunch of laymen. That works when it comes to paying the bills.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-12 02:34, Ekuth wrote:

P.S. I, for one, would love to see some photos of your 'balloon twisting genius'... who's with me?

Here's a few. To see more, go here: http://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p377/......%20Lyle/

In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-12 06:36, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-12 00:47, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Whew!

Double Whew!

This branding that I chose started when I was working at a large Halloween haunt. Our show on the stage had actually done so well that we were pulling too many people to the stage and the haunted trail would bottle neck later at night. The management wanted me to work in the crowd at certain times to draw people more toward the entrance to the trail. fearing I would simply disappear into the darkness amomg a few thousand other people, I decided to create a character that would be seen quickly and easy enough to define. The top hat, the funny glasses (which are ironically now in style), the polka dot tie (which now has larger polka dots), the little dude on my shoulder, and the fire book.

The book became a trademark. So I heard myself described as the dude with the book, but also that Amish dude, the Monopoly guy, or that big guy with the ponytail. Whatever term they used, it became easy for someone to identify me. The venue began promoting me as The Illusionist, and that was fine, too.

I decided to use that character for all my stage shows and some walk-around (except for corporate work). My hair is much grayer than this old photo shows, but the character has remained, and still creates interest.

It's not exactly young and cutting edge, but it smacks of magician to a bunch of laymen. That works when it comes to paying the bills.

http://themagiccompany.com/firebookportrait.jpg

Love it Michael! Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-12 02:12, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
Great to see you back here Christopher! You were missed. Smile I don't brand myself, though I've been thinking about starting to.

Thanks Aaron, tho' truth be told I was never really gone...Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Lol I got branded by location, I'm from Boston and living in wa. my red sox cap is very recognizable here
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Holy... sweet... mother of balloons.

Sirrah, I tip my top hat to your twisting expertise. Being a twister myself, I can appreciate the immense time and talent that went into those wonderful creations!

Bravissimo!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Great post!

my brand is my accent, I was born in Ukraine and 2 years ago I've moved to Argentina, so I speak spanish with a funny accent.
pretty show I cannot be confused with any other magician around Smile
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Christopher,

I am certainly not an expert, but in my life experience I have never seen cooler balloon creations than what you have shown us.

Thanks,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Chris: how long's it take you to twist one of these masterpieces?

(I have - or, rather, my lovely wife - has an idea.)
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
Chris: how long's it take you to twist one of these masterpieces?

(I have - or, rather, my lovely wife - has an idea.)

About 30 minutes give or take...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
You are one talented guy Christopher. Outstanding stuff.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
972 Posts

Profile of helder
Extraordinary Chris, the best I have seen. Really good. Thanks for sharing. Smile
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Branding (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL