The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Europe busking Visa (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

raymond.truong
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of raymond.truong
Hello folks

I am looking to busk my way through Europe.
I am yet to find out the laws of work visas in certain countries with regards to busking. If any of you have information about this it would be greatly appreciated. I've looked HARD and found nothing.

I've read you don't need a visa for a lot of countries, just not on an official website.

Was hoping some of you know about the visa busking laws for some countries within Europe.

Thank you all.

-Raymond
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Hey Raymond!

First off, good luck! Europe can be a lot of fun for street performers. My guess is that it will be difficult to find a single resource with answers to all of your visa/permit questions, but this is a good place to start.

The short answer is: it depends on the country. And even more specifically, the city you're in. A lot of places, you won't need a work visa at all (most of them, in fact). You can usually get by without even a permit depending on the pitch you want. I can only speak for the cities I've worked in, but here are the run-downs:

1) Madrid: The Retiro (the big central park) is a lot of fun and has good foot traffic on the weekends. I never needed a permit and it will do you well to go out first to watch the different shows and how they play in all the different pitches. A couple of the guys that have half circle and full circle shows use great management techniques to build their edges.

2) Barcelona: The ramblas are a good tourist spot, but be warned: "Variety Acts" have been pushed into two small pitches RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER. Also, some of the guys that work it regularly have figured out an unofficial "schedule" they stick to, but if you go talk to them, you can find a time to share the area. No amplification here, and after dark a lot of the rules go out the window. Also, Guell Park has a few funky performing spots (not sure what regulations are because I never saw any officials).

3) Paris: Montmartre has good (somewhat small) pitches for the most part (excluding the larger ones by the stairs at Sacre Coure). Check around the periphery. There are a lot of variety performers claiming their little corners, and I never witnessed any trouble with authorities as long as we were being generally respectful and not clogging up the flow of tourists. I did a few small shows near Notre Dame and Saint Michel; it all depends what's happening on a given day.

4) London: The main Coven Garden Pitch requires not only a large act, but a permit. Magic Corner still plays well (it was under construction last time I was there, but I assume that's long over), and there's a basic rotation that usually happens on a first-come basis. The other good pitch I worked was the South Bank just past the London Eye. Same deal with a rotation. Sometimes the music of the breakdancers can be loud to fight against depending on how close you end up to them. There are a few really good spots here, and I'd recommend getting there early to snag one before a human statue grabs it for the day. Never had any problem with authorities without a license here.

I hope this helps - let us know if you have more questions!

Evan
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Hi , Good Luck on the trip Yes U.k is easy many places to busk magic cornor covent garden ,southbank london eye , cambridge , brighton, bath ,bristol , in fact any were is good for small side walk shows...good luck send me a email if you come over
http://www.magiciansinlondon.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Europe busking Visa (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL