The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Trying to find a closer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find a closer for one of my restaurant routines. I'm out of practice with the restaurant business (been a year or two) but I'm excited to try and get back into it.

The routine I'm trying to get a closer for is:

3 card monte
Multiple Selection
*unknown*

The 3cm is performed as a a game to see how they are paying attention. When the final phase hits and the ace is on the other side of the table I said "perfect you guys are going to be easy!" as a joke and have fun with the Multiple Selection effect. Depends on how many but if there are two many people I shorten it to 3 people with a surprise revelation (ending with my business card in their hand).

What I'm looking for is something to put the cards away to close without cards or at least not be a card routine (restoration effects would be okay) but I would prefer something highly visual, quick and not be centered with cards. I'm not a coin guy and I don't have a lot of space for reset.

I was thinking of Four Quarters or something with borrowed items (although I don't own it yet). I've been going through everything I have or know but I keep feeling like it's a "blah" ending to the routine. I'd like to end this on a really high note.

Any suggestions on some closer ideas for a set like this? Advice is appreciated.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Silk to wallet, in the news, invisible deck, needle thru balloon
I always do a hybrid close-up parlour.

Visual is sponge bunny routine with many many bunnies.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Invisible deck, Metal bend, sponge balls, bill to marker (Richard Sanders), chop cup with final load. You can use anything with a surprise ending as a closer.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
If you do fork bending you can give them the fork at the end. it plays huge and leaves them with an item to take home and show friends. every time they see that fork they remember you and the restaurant. that is marketing at its best.

sponge balls plays better as an opener but can be set as a closer depending on your final load. some TT work will do great if it is for children or adults. for instance signed torn and restored sugar packet. salt vanish and reproduction from spectaters sleeve or from the napkin. gold fish production in a glass of water.

bill to cigarette, bill to dinner roll, bill to lemon.

I do a misers dream routine with a glass from the table some times as a closer. there is so much out there to work with its hard to give you a set here it is. find an item that will fit your style and rework it to hit harder as a closer.

hope this helps.

Michael
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Hey,
how about "Bill to an impossible place"?

I can imagine why you are struggling with it...3CM+M.selection takes relatively long time (2 multi-phases routines).
have you though about finding a quick opener, follow by 3CM and finish with a multiple selection? (i think this is a good closer).
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I usually close with a trick that involves their signature moving to a card with a different back, or having two signed selections fuse into one card. Tricks where a spectator's signature moves (or appears to) are very powerful.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
I think I'm going to close it quick with a ring to impossible location. Put the vanish of the ring in the middle and reveal at the end. What do you guys think about that?

Because of the other two routine being longer and maybe having limited time that would let me wrap it up fast.

Thanks for the help again everyone!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 09:44, smullins wrote:
Put the vanish of the ring in the middle and reveal at the end. What do you guys think about that?

My only problem with that is I often find the impact can be lessened - if the ring is produced immediatly from the impossible location then there was no time or chance to get it there.
Just my thoughts...
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I could be way off here, but youre doing two card effects, I think it could kill the flow of your routine to do a ring on string. May I recomend one of the 10,000 variations of a color changing deck. or ring in an omni deck?
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Looks like everything keeps coming back to the cards... Maybe just a really big finish to the multiple selection seems to be the solution thus far. Maybe card to envelope?

Richard Pinner's PET looked pretty good. Any other versions of signed card to envelope to check out?

It doesn't have to be signed I could also force and "vanish" the card from the deck.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Signed card to kennedy mystery box and/or a torn and restored card effect
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1498 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Close with the multiple selection... that is strong magic
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
You could end with ring on rope if you can use the rope some how during one of your pervious effects, it woukd be a nice way to link it all together.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
Look at Morgan Strebler's "twisted metal". I ALWAYS use this as a closer when possible. I do add some humor too it... but it's very mystical the idea of "fork bending". Especially since the Matrix. But that one has such a beautiful give away. People where I live drive around with a bent up fork on their car dash! A reputation builder for certain!
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
I always hear magi talking about bending flatware while tablehopping, but I've always thought that might set a bad example (ie you leave the table and the guests start bending their spoons just to see if they can, etc).

I'd imagine the management would not like seeing guests walking out of the place with bent silverware in hand.

I understand its a very organic trick in the restaurant environment, but seems in bad taste?

Anyone want to comment on this?

I love doing metal bending, but very reluctant to do it tablehopping...

Best,
Jim
LotaBowl.com

The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.

Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Quote:
On 2012-10-18 15:15, jimvines wrote:
I always hear magi talking about bending flatware while tablehopping, but I've always thought that might set a bad example (ie you leave the table and the guests start bending their spoons just to see if they can, etc).

hey Jim, have it ever happen to you?
if you love bending metal and think it is strong, why not give it a try? if your assumption about people's reaction is correct you can always stop doing it, but until you tried it, it is just a thought in your mind.

\D
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
Quote:
On 2012-10-18 15:15, jimvines wrote:

I think the most important part here is to warn the managers working. When I first started my first restaurant; a manager talked to me about bending their silverware. All I had to do was show her my case full of forks. I see your point; but since then I have just told the management about my trick. I actually use it as the first trick I show then when "auditioning" for them. Most of the servers and managers have followed me to watch that trick specifically. Also... one manager thought it was really funny because before the bus boys knew about it.... they went to the manager and she had to explain. If your in a kid oriented restaurant ( though I see adults do this too!!!) it really creates a good atmosphere watching the kids waving and blowing on their forks! Plus... at least half of the managers and servers carry a fork I bent for them in their car. That's my two cents.
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
Hi Smullins,

Consider Sweet by Diamond Jim Tyler. This may fit well with what you are trying to accomplish. In this routine you borrow a coin from one of the patrons, have them initial it and then vanish it. Continue with your performance (one both of your effects) and then take a sugar pack off of the table, tear it open and inside is their signed coin.

Here's a link to our review that will give you a little more information if you are not familiar with the effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g4oOpxmDKY

Mark
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1581 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Pressure is a great closer. Quick and very visual. You can even leave them with their phone in the balloon.

Patrick
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1581 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Also easy to carry. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Trying to find a closer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL