The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you ask? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
TomLondon
View Profile
New user
London, England
2 Posts

Profile of TomLondon
I work nightclubs all the time and actually take a rather strange route to getting my audience engaged.
I will literally walk up, shake everyones hand, "Hi, I'm Tom nice to meet you, how do you do (smile), have you seen this before?" (pointing at my hand). I will then begin performing extreme burn or crack on with a 'pick a card' trick.
I have done this thousands of times and it works a charm, even better on celebrities! I think it naturally makes laymen intrigued into what I am showing them, almost curious as to what they are being shown and surprised when they discover the magic at the end of the routine.
Depending on who I approach, I may throw in 'Im the magician tonight' if they appear to be defensive, that always clears things up.
Tom London M.M.C (Member of The Magic Circle)
Professional Close-Up magician based in London,UK.
http://www.magiciantomlondon.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is all about boundries if you ask me. I respect others boundries.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I've not worked any restaurants but from performing elsewhere I've found that if you don't ask you come off really weird, I mean think about it, put yourself in the spectators place. Some random person walks up to you, steals your attention away from whatever you're doing, and then starts doing some weird magic, just seems rude. Walk up to the people, introduce yourself, tell them you do magic and ask to show them, I always say something like "can I show you something really fast?" because it seems to me that people are often apprehensive, because really, a random guy just walked up to them and said he wants to show them magic. And not to dis myself but if looks were apples I'd the one that fell off the tree a couple days ago, but by saying it's going to be "really fast" they generally think "why not, if it's only gonna take a second" Then I hit them with something relatively fast and strong, I'm not talking fire wallet, I'm talking like 2CM or some other simple card trick, something that gets them physically involved but won't take long. From there any idiot can read their expression, some people are not gonna be that interested, others are gonnna get really into it, if they get into it I go through the rest of my routine, if they don't then I leave, I've showed them what I had to offer and they've made a decision. Naturally if they're into it I don't have to ask to show them more, but if they don't seem so into it I see nothing wrong with asking if they would like to see another, some people are harder to read than others, occasionally I'll hit somebody that I legitimately cannot tell weither or not they're enjoying it , all the more reason to ask.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I ask if I am not waved over. Even Blaine asks in his montone voice "Can I show you something?" Although he would probably get more yeses if he said magic as opposed to "something". Jay Sankey says not to ask on his Restaurant and Bar DVD I believe, and says that they are "not qualified to answer that question". He walks up with a straw and just goes into the routine, holding up scissors saying "Don't anybody move or the straw gets it!" Maybe this works for his crazy style but I also am not sure he actually does restaurants for a living. I think his living is mostly selling magic to magicians. But I think asking is the best thing to do because not everyone is in the mood for magic.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 06:54, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
So you are hired to do magic. you walk up to a table and ask:"do like to see some magic?" they say:"NO!" so you leave.you walk up to a table and ask:"do like to see some magic?" they say:"NO!" so you leave.you walk up to a table and ask:"do like to see some magic?" they say:"NO!" so you leave.etc etc. in the end you are not working for you money.

so haw do you deal with that situation?

Get another hobby and job. Maybe apply for dishwasher at that same restaurant because magic is not your thing. Unless you have a REALLY unlucky day or people are out to get you. But I kinda doubt that would actually happen unless something is seriously wrong with you.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 01:40, illusionistaxe wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 06:54, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
So you are hired to do magic. you walk up to a table and ask:"do like to see some magic?" they say:"NO!" so you leave.you walk up to a table and ask:"do like to see some magic?" they say:"NO!" so you leave.you walk up to a table and ask:"do like to see some magic?" they say:"NO!" so you leave.etc etc. in the end you are not working for you money.

so haw do you deal with that situation?

Simple! you never ask them that question. Instead you start off with an opener. Example:

This is my favourites. I ask for a change. Whatever they say, I ask them "No no....wait....I needed change for...." I do the bill switch "...a 100?". At this point, they are like "What?!". Then, I continue "....or it would be more helpful if you could give me a change for a 500?". I do the double bill switch actually. By this time they are gobsmacked! LOVE IT!

Then I proceed to say "Hello" with a big smile and tell them doing magic is my hobby and IF THEY RESPOND WELL (99% of the time, they will)I directly jump to my next question "Do you play cards?"
Again, I never ask, "Do you wanna see a magic?". TRUST me, I have used many methods similar to this. 99% tables covered and more importantly they enjoy. Smile

Read my post http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=5&5 on the methods I created to approach strangers elsewhere other than the restaurants.

That is ramming magic down their throats, and putting the spotlight on YOU not them which is never a good idea. What if they just got back from a funeral do think they are in the mood for some forced magic? It may or may not help their mood but that is not the point. Some may get it and play along but in the long run I would never do that. People who have a "choice" are less likely to resist and heckle you, and may even complain about you. It is not worth the risk.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 00:16, sirbrad wrote:
I ask if I am not waved over. Even Blaine asks in his montone voice "Can I show you something?" Although he would probably get more yeses if he said magic as opposed to "something". Jay Sankey says not to ask on his Restaurant and Bar DVD I believe, and says that they are "not qualified to answer that question". He walks up with a straw and just goes into the routine, holding up scissors saying "Don't anybody move or the straw gets it!" Maybe this works for his crazy style but I also am not sure he actually does restaurants for a living. I think his living is mostly selling magic to magicians. But I think asking is the best thing to do because not everyone is in the mood for magic.

Jay Sankey and Tommy Wonder advised the same. "Never ask them if they want to see some magic". Even David Stone, in his Real Secrets of Magic, pretends to pick a coin by a table and ask them if it's theirs by doing a false transfer. People have not seen the kind of magic we do. They might think magicians are for kids. But once they witness it, they would be happy that you came buy.

And yeah, I know you guys are against my approach which is similar to Jay Sankey's. But from the audience point of view, what do they see? They saw me asking for a change and then I changed my mind and asked them if they have a change for another note and once more I changed my mind and finally I asked change for another note. Again, as I said before, I do this kind of approach when the table is in a good mood. At silent tables, I always go for the formal approach.

I know you guys think it's crazy. My style might not suite you. IF and you think this approach MIGHT suite you, then just try it once, just once. Let me know how it went for you guys.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
It isn't my style to not ask, so I will stick with what I have been doing for so many years as it has worked. If it is working for you with no complaints then stick with it. I still think passive is better than aggessive in that atmosphere, and more professional.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 00:45, illusionistaxe wrote:
I know you guys think it's crazy.

I, for one, don't think that it's crazy; I merely think that it's not my style.

Quote:
My style might not suite you.

It might not even suit me.

;)
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 02:26, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
I know you guys think it's crazy.

I, for one, don't think that it's crazy; I merely think that it's not my style.

Quote:
My style might not suite you.

It might not even suit me.

;)

You should buy the book Sleight of Mouth by Harry Allen. You will find many such one liners. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think he meant that you should spell the word right. Tunnel vision huh?

Not qualified to answer? I have always thought that was one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. (And I dare say this is a VERY competitive title!)

I am not qualified to know if I want to be interupted? SERIOUSLY? I am paying for my meal and I am not qualified to know if I want someone to bother me while I am trying to make points with this girl and I think watching some dopey magic guy run through his scales with his cards will hurt my chances? I am not qualified?

In reality YOU are the one not qualified in that situation. You don't know the mood of the table. YOU have no idea what they are talking about or why or if THEY WANT TO SEE YOU. How arrogant is that attitude?

Nobody is more qualified than the guy paying his bill to know what he does or does not want. That is what qualifies them.

I bet if you ask most owners or managers they think the guy paying his bill is fairly qualified. Is he not qualifed to make his decision about dinner just because he never tasted one of the meals? He came in for a steak, but fish is on special and he never tasted it. He is not qualified to answer which he wants and they just bring him fish?

Oh no.

If you don't want to ask, don't ask. No biggie. But the whole "not being qualified to answer" is arrogant.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Sankey does not think they are qualified because they most likely have not seen magic in that kind of intimate setting close-up, so they do not know what to expect or how they will feel afterwards. He feels they are not qualified to judge whether or not they like it until they have seen it. Some may think it will be silly or stupid and not give it a chance. But I think they are qualified to know if they actually want to be entertained. Sankey does not care he just dives in.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 11:48, Dannydoyle wrote:

But the whole "not being qualified to answer" is arrogant.

You should add it to your act then, would fit right in. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Really? Childish insults? Seriously that is all you have?

Prety much sums it up thank you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
Nobody is more qualified than the guy paying his bill to know what he does or does not want. That is what qualifies them.

That's how a Professional views the situation.

This not asking because "they aren't qualified to answer if they want to see magic or not" is nonsense. I have been an eyewitness to this approach and I can tell you I have seen someone become angry at the interruption.

Some people are too polite to speak up. It doesn't mean that this rude approach is lost on them and that they don't discuss it later. And they may not return because of it.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Take it up with Sankey, but hey what does he know? Whatever works for him works, and no amount of theorizing by people on here is going to change that. Do what works for you not what others think you should do.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I always ask, but Sankey says "Within the first 5 seconds of approaching a table there better be magic." "I have held long-term contracts as a house magicians in over a dozen restaurants and bars."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcWdZj6cqO8
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:

I think watching some dopey magic guy run through his scales with his cards will hurt my chances? I am not qualified?

If you don't want to ask, don't ask. No biggie. But the whole "not being qualified to answer" is arrogant.

Did you just insult yourself? Or are you implying that all other magicians are dopey except for the great Danny? Or are you implying that you do not do restaurant magic which actually seems to be the case? I don't see any "childish insults" I simply made a joke because I knew how angry and irate it would make you. But the shoe fits pretty well.

Sure I can do a lot better than that, but would not waste my time as I have a life outside the Café, and writing 30 paragraphs a day why everyone sucks and how great my advice is, and those who follow it "will get far", and those who ignore it are "dopey". I don't have that kind of time as I actually perform for a living, not make it a goal see "Eternal Order" under my name in 3 years. I don't have those insecurity issues either fortunately. So in closing whatever works for YOU use it. Nothing is written in stone in the real world and there are a lot of variables that constantly change, and you just need to adapt to your environment.

I always ask as it opens more potential barriers, and customers are more willing to watch if they have a choice, and not as standoffish if you just start showing them magic. But I am not going to "insult" others who do it either, that is their business.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am sure someone will be along to help you with just how wrong you are about whether or not I have actually worked.

Taking quotes out of context and posting them does not make you witty.

You seem fixated about number of posts for some reason. Don't worry just keep insulting me and telling me I don't do restaurant work. Lets see how that pans out for you.

It really does not make me irate, quite the opposite. It is funny just how many wrong impressions you actually have.

For example I am starting to doubt you have any years experience. Heck I am doubting you are 30 at all. But keep insulting me if it works for you and somehow this proves you are whatever.

Also member since 2005. NOT 3 years but again why should a fact stop you from being nasty?

Also just so it is clear your insults are childish. They are intended to make me angry. Isn't that the very point of childish insults? Oh well obviously you suffer from an irony impairment.

I am saying showing up and not asking prior to just doing magic is rude. I have no way to use a language any more simple than this. You agree aparantly, yet wish to hurl insults. Not certain why.

I just don't want to take part. I am sure as a busy full time professional you have better things to do than to sit online and insult one so unworthy as myself. I will sit in the corner till you are done.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 17:16, sirbrad wrote:
. . . are you implying that you do not do restaurant magic which actually seems to be the case?

Danny's worked restaurants.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you ask? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL