The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you ask? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 11:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think he meant that you should spell the word right.

I went back and checked. You're right: that's what he meant.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I suspected.

As a person who spells MANY words wrong, I am in tune to that sort of thing!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 20:16, Dannydoyle wrote:
As a person who spells MANY words wrong, I am in tune to that sort of thing!

Well, I, for one, would never mention your spelling gaffes.

;)

(What's nice is that some people here who do have trouble spelling will take a moment to ask. Perhaps that sort of commitment exists in their effort to learn magic as well. One hopes.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just sort of think we are in a light hearted forum is all. Off hand remarks, bad spelling and such. I am lazy so I don't bother to spellcheck anything. When I know I am messing up things I will check.

Often the computer thinks it is smart enough to spell for me and I end up with the wrong word! Go figure LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Again and again, I have been mentioning the point, "My style might not suite you". Is it THAT hard to understand?! :-O
Even Bill Malone, in one of his DVDs "Here we go again" or "On the loose", sorry I forgot which, has mentioned that he directly approaches when the table is in good enjoying mood.

As sirbrad also said, different people might have different styles which might not SUITE ;-) everybody.

We are here to help magic8161. So lets not fight Smile
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Illusionistaxe I'm curious how long have you been doing restaurant magic? How many gigs would you say you have done? Do you really analyze your work or just go with the approach of no one is saying anything to you or making a complaint so its must be OK. I only ask because I know your approach works in certain situations with friendly people or people that already know who you are and are excited to see you but doing it at every table, you must have some very uncomfortable and awkward moments to share with us!

Cheers
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 02:31, illusionistaxe wrote:
Again and again, I have been mentioning the point, "My style might not suite you". Is it THAT hard to understand?! :-O
Even Bill Malone, in one of his DVDs "Here we go again" or "On the loose", sorry I forgot which, has mentioned that he directly approaches when the table is in good enjoying mood.

As sirbrad also said, different people might have different styles which might not SUITE ;-) everybody.

We are here to help magic8161. So lets not fight Smile

Suit.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Themagicguy, I have done 800 gigs over all in the US in the last two years in the cruise ship. So far I had no complaints, instead I got so many positive guest comments that the cruise ship didn't want to replace me with another magician in one particular ship. Believing or not believing is up to you. And yes, I am matured enough to analyse how people would behave to certain approaches. I do hypnosis as well, so I can easily understand psychology of people in any environment. The weird thing is, nobody probably completely read my post in here. I had mentioned: "I do this kind of approach when the table is in a good mood. At silent tables, I always go for the formal approach."

If Jay Sankey or Bill Malone had posted the same here, you guys would have agreed. Since I am not as famous as they are and also I am new to this forum, my statement is powerless. That's how it works! Weird world.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 12:51, illusionistaxe wrote:
Themagicguy, I have done 800 gigs over all in the US in the last two years in the cruise ship. So far I had no complaints, instead I got so many positive guest comments that the cruise ship didn't want to replace me with another magician in one particular ship.

Good for you. (Seriously.)

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 12:51, illusionistaxe wrote:
If Jay Sankey or Bill Malone had posted the same here, you guys would have agreed.

I, for one, would not. It matters not to me whether someone is famous or experienced or successful. If they're wrong, they're wrong. Maybe famous and wrong, maybe experienced and wrong, maybe successful and wrong. But wrong nonetheless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you do 400 shows a year? On cruise ships aparantly? 8 shows a week? Wow congradulations. That is amazing to say the least.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
S2000magician wrote:

I, for one, don't think that it's crazy; I merely think that it's not my style.

Quote:
I, for one, would not. It matters not to me whether someone is famous or experienced or successful. If they're wrong, they're wrong. Maybe famous and wrong, maybe experienced and wrong, maybe successful and wrong. But wrong nonetheless.

I'm too curious, which one is it? Not your style or wrong?
Very well could be both I suppose 'ceptin' for that merely part.

Listen up illusionistaxe, everyone knows that when a group of magicians decide how "it" should be done then it's over, finished, kaput. Doesn't matter about You, that part that is stressed so much in everything we do i.g. put it in your voice, write your own bits, it's all about you not the trick, let your personality shine through, etc. etc.
You have too toss all that out the window when the group has decided. That's why we have forums so the group can settle these matters. In this instance you are clearly outnumbered and therefore wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if you were fired outright first thing in the morning. You may have to give up magic altogether what with your highly offensive tactics concerning approaching people. Maybe something in woodworking, or lawn care that doesn't involve much person to person time.
Just suggestions as to future work...the group hasn't decided yet. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 14:13, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:
S2000magician wrote:

Quote:

Not my style.

I believe that you're reading too much into "wrong". I never said that this approach is wrong, nor that if Sankey or Mallone said to do it that they'd be wrong for advocating it. Merely (there's that word again) that Sankey or Mallone can be wrong, and if they are, then they are. If they said that I should employ the ambush approach, I'd say that that's not my style, but if it works for them, it's fine for them.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:

Not my style.

I believe that you're reading too much into "wrong". I never said that this approach is wrong, nor that if Sankey or Mallone said to do it that they'd be wrong for advocating it. Merely (there's that word again) that Sankey or Mallone can be wrong, and if they are, then they are. If they said that I should employ the ambush approach, I'd say that that's not my style, but if it works for them, it's fine for them.

Any thoughts about running for office cause you got the moves.
Wrong doesn't mean wrong and ambush hasn't a negative connotation. Smile
The flow of conversation led me to think your opinion, and others, on the matter was that it was a bad thing to do.
I sit corrected. It's not good or bad merely (yowza! got one in) a personal style choice.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
HHHmmm....I'll take a stand here. If you don't ask because you subscribe to Sankey's theory that grown adults with families, jobs, bills, etc. are not capable of determining whether or not they would like to be entertained, then I would say your thinking is wrong. They may or may not be QUALIFIED to know what closeup magic is all about. Seriously, who cares if they are or not?

If, however, you do not ask because your style is to WOW them right out of the gate, then I would say it may not be wrong, but it certainly wouldn't fit my style or comfort. Kind of like the expression...better to ask forgiveness rather than wait for permission.

If you ask and they say no, for whatever reason, who cares...move on to the next table/group.
If, however, you don't ask and just start performing, you run the risk of annoying, insulting, or any number of things that end in "ing".

Just ask!!
And I would vote for S2000 only if his platform was "the polite side of politics". We could use some of that.

Merely,

patrick
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 17:02, patrick flanagan wrote:
And I would vote for S2000 only if his platform was "the polite side of politics".

LOL!

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 17:02, patrick flanagan wrote:
Merely,

patrick

Touché.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
The weird thing is, nobody probably completely read my post in here. I had mentioned: "I do this kind of approach when the table is in a good mood. At silent tables, I always go for the formal approach."

OK makes sense now. I agree with your approach. I just couldn't imagine doing it at every table.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 14:13, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:
S2000magician wrote:

Quote:

Very well could be both I suppose 'ceptin' for that merely part.

Listen up illusionistaxe, everyone knows that when a group of magicians decide how "it" should be done then it's over, finished, kaput. Doesn't matter about You, that part that is stressed so much in everything we do i.g. put it in your voice, write your own bits, it's all about you not the trick, let your personality shine through, etc. etc.
You have too toss all that out the window when the group has decided. That's why we have forums so the group can settle these matters. In this instance you are clearly outnumbered and therefore wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if you were fired outright first thing in the morning. You may have to give up magic altogether what with your highly offensive tactics concerning approaching people. Maybe something in woodworking, or lawn care that doesn't involve much person to person time.
Just suggestions as to future work...the group hasn't decided yet. Smile

First of all, everyone has different opinions. Some say it's wrong and some say it's "not my style" which means they don't think it's wrong, it's just that it's not their style and some magicians like Sankey or Malone would agree with this. So I don't pay much heed to what the forum settles with. I pay heed to what works for me and the crowd. Plus secondly, if you think that this approach makes me an amateur magician, then you better start getting back to kindergarten, because, you first of all, don't know how to respect other's opinion and also you don't have any rights to suggest me to quit magic. Show some respect in your posts to other magicians. I wouldn't be surprised if you are kicked out of magic Café sooner or later. Look at other magicians. Even if they didn't agree with my approach, they weren't insulting. If that's your character, then I can imagine at what level your magic stands! I am not here to say my opinion WILL work for you. I am here to show my opinion, with a thought that it might be helpful to the guy who posted this topic.

So, brother. Mind your words.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 20:34, themagicguy wrote:
Quote:
The weird thing is, nobody probably completely read my post in here. I had mentioned: "I do this kind of approach when the table is in a good mood. At silent tables, I always go for the formal approach."

OK makes sense now. I agree with your approach. I just couldn't imagine doing it at every table.

Finalllyyyy...somebody is listening! Smile Thanks!
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 13:30, Dannydoyle wrote:
So you do 400 shows a year? On cruise ships aparantly? 8 shows a week? Wow congradulations. That is amazing to say the least.

Yep...even I am surprised that I have done so many! haha. The cruise ship has new guests every week or sometimes every 4 or 5 days. Depends on the itinerary of the ship. Really good platform for close up workers!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I for one would like to have 800 shows defined a bit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you ask? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL