The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you ask? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Noon 12 to 1:30 in the dining room and every evening perform 6 to 10 in the dining room and at night around 11 put up a close up show for 30 to 45 minutes in the bar. Enough said!
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1422 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
400 a year? That's more than Copperfield... impressive.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 00:47, illusionistaxe wrote:
Noon 12 to 1:30 in the dining room and every evening perform 6 to 10 in the dining room and at night around 11 put up a close up show for 30 to 45 minutes in the bar. Enough said!

Yea I suspected it was something like that LOL.

It seems odd for a ship to use the exact same show every night of the year.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Otherwise, it would have been guinness world record if I made 800 shows in 2 years. Smile It was a fantastic job profile though.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the only problem is it sort of punches a hole in your credability huh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Certainly not. Living in the ship itself is a struggle and also performing in hospitality industry for 2 years without negative feedback is something which I can brag about. I am not talking about gigs here, talking about experience in those 800 shows. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Whatever, I am just glad we got a true total of what 800 shows means LOL.

With that logic, Christopher Lyle has done 50,000 shows!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Was expecting the magic Café to be fun. Looks like some people just can't live without spoiling the fun. Not worth my time. Think what you wanna think. Goodbye.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

And yeah, if an egotist person who sits at the Café 24/7 and talks rubbish, is given the title "Eternal order", then wouldn't even dream of that title under me! haha...just a thought passed. No offense. goodbye
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 19:20, TomLondon wrote:
I work nightclubs all the time and actually take a rather strange route to getting my audience engaged.
I will literally walk up, shake everyones hand, "Hi, I'm Tom nice to meet you, how do you do (smile), have you seen this before?" (pointing at my hand). I will then begin performing extreme burn or crack on with a 'pick a card' trick.
I have done this thousands of times and it works a charm, even better on celebrities! I think it naturally makes laymen intrigued into what I am showing them, almost curious as to what they are being shown and surprised when they discover the magic at the end of the routine.
Depending on who I approach, I may throw in 'Im the magician tonight' if they appear to be defensive, that always clears things up.

I wanted to touch on this a bit.

In my experience the night club atmosphere is 180 degrees different from a restaurant situation. Even a bar situation is a bit different. In a night club it is intended to be a social atmosphere, people go there to meet others, have fun, party and some sort of entertainment would not be an interuption.

In a restaurant it is a much more closes circle of sorts. You are there to enjoy your time with the people you have shown up with or planned to be with. So the dynamic is quite different. Especially if you are working in higher end places.

This is why when people are in a restaurant setting it makes more sense to me personally if you ask first. Better yet GET asked. As was said earlier it is all about first impressions.

Also needless to say one idea is not right, or wrong, or MORE right or MORE wrong. It is about style. The idea of a discussion is to accept other ideas, and express your own. Just because I advocate this approach and do not like suprise magic, does not mean I think the plan is less valid.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 11:09, illusionistaxe wrote:
And yeah, if an egotist person who sits at the Café 24/7 and talks rubbish, is given the title "Eternal order", then wouldn't even dream of that title under me! haha...just a thought passed. No offense. goodbye

Yea just because I do the math on outrageous claims I am a jerk LOL. Yea no offense. If we use your math I have done about 50,000 shows like Christopher.

Ok your claim is nonsense and just a kid trying to inflaite his importance with very little experience. No offense.

All I did was try to figure out 800 shows in 2 years. My bad. Now it is your job to come back with something mean to say because you got asked about the number and want to make it seem like I am an ogre. Then you find some stuff about me on the internet and say "oh yea see here" and then you find other things and on and on. That is my favorite part.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-25 11:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 11:09, illusionistaxe wrote:

Yea just because I do the math on outrageous claims I am a jerk LOL. Yea no offense. If we use your math I have done about 50,000 shows like Christopher.

Ok your claim is nonsense and just a kid trying to inflaite his importance with very little experience. No offense.

All I did was try to figure out 800 shows in 2 years. My bad. Now it is your job to come back with something mean to say because you got asked about the number and want to make it seem like I am an ogre. Then you find some stuff about me on the internet and say "oh yea see here" and then you find other things and on and on. That is my favorite part.

Looks like you are really experienced in screwing others. now, you can even predict what will happen next in this post. you might be more experienced than me but don't expect me to do cheap, immature stuff like u! ETERNAL ORDER!! You must be kidding me. huh!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Generally after people say "goodbye" that is when they leave LOL.

And if you want to take the high road, you need to do it prior to name calling.

Incidently I am an experienced bs detector. You confuse that as screwing with others.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
---George Bernard Shaw

If you substitute "screwing with people" for the word "cynicism" in the quote it applies to your last post. Are we done now?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
O YEAH, WELL I DO ABOUT 24 SHOWS IN ONLY TWO HOURS!! You see, at a restaurant I walk up to a table, I do 3-5 min of magic, as a show then I walk away, and go to another table to do another show. If you do the math 60min in one hour divided by 5min per show is about 12 shows an hour. Two hours at the restaurant means I do about 24 shows in two hours. I WIN!

Maybe I should start a new group, I will call it "The Eternal Order of awesome magicians performing outrageous numbers of amazing magic shows in an outlandish amount of time." or TEOOAMPONOAMSIAOAOT for short. Please Mods update my member status.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 11:15, Dannydoyle wrote:

In my experience the night club atmosphere is 180 degrees different from a restaurant situation. Even a bar situation is a bit different. In a night club it is intended to be a social atmosphere, people go there to meet others, have fun, party and some sort of entertainment would not be an interuption.

In a restaurant it is a much more closes circle of sorts. You are there to enjoy your time with the people you have shown up with or planned to be with. So the dynamic is quite different. Especially if you are working in higher end places.

This is why when people are in a restaurant setting it makes more sense to me personally if you ask first. Better yet GET asked. As was said earlier it is all about first impressions.

Also needless to say one idea is not right, or wrong, or MORE right or MORE wrong. It is about style. The idea of a discussion is to accept other ideas, and express your own. Just because I advocate this approach and do not like suprise magic, does not mean I think the plan is less valid.

I wanted to add my own observation.

When my father died, the sons and daughters (and spouses) went to a restaurant when we returned from the cemetery and burial. I am one of seven siblings, so our group was more than a dozen adults. We were mourning in our own way. We sat around reminiscing and telling stories about our dad – he was a character and we all had something to say – he had his own catch phrases, engaged in aggravating conduct on a consistent basis, and we all had funny stories to tell. We were laughing, and everyone was talking. To all the world, we probably looked like the “fun” table. But we were paying our respects, saying good-bye and remembering our father.

We were not in a nightclub, bar, comedy club, etc. We were in a restaurant. Believe me, if some jerk imposed himself on our party with some flaming wallet, I would have been having some very stern words with the restaurant management.

So, I agree with Danny Doyle. In certain venues (and restaurants are among those venues), it is probably best to be asked, second best to ask, and probably offensive not to ask. In other venues, anything goes. You have to know where you are.

0pus
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 00:00, illusionistaxe wrote:

First of all, everyone has different opinions. Some say it's wrong and some say it's "not my style" which means they don't think it's wrong, it's just that it's not their style and some magicians like Sankey or Malone would agree with this. So I don't pay much heed to what the forum settles with. I pay heed to what works for me and the crowd. Plus secondly, if you think that this approach makes me an amateur magician, then you better start getting back to kindergarten, because, you first of all, don't know how to respect other's opinion and also you don't have any rights to suggest me to quit magic. Show some respect in your posts to other magicians. I wouldn't be surprised if you are kicked out of magic Café sooner or later. Look at other magicians. Even if they didn't agree with my approach, they weren't insulting. If that's your character, then I can imagine at what level your magic stands! I am not here to say my opinion WILL work for you. I am here to show my opinion, with a thought that it might be helpful to the guy who posted this topic.

So, brother. Mind your words.

There is this thing called humor and it takes many forms and translates poorly to the Interweb Tubes.
Like Grandfather in Little Big Man said, "sometimes the magic works...sometimes it doesn't."
The little winky thing at the end was to help everyone to know the score.
Not sure where you got the amateur part as I was leaning on the forum not you. You might notice over time how someone, such as yourself, will bring something up and everyone will decide it's not kosher when most times it is a personal thing like I dunno, maybe insult humor ala Gazzo. It works well for him and not so much for most others. That was the point Sir.(<--- sign of respect) I have no reason to doubt your approach or success as a performer.
Did not intend to offend, insult, or otherwise cause you I.B.S. I'm sure you won't be shot at sun up. Smile
P.S. I have no brothers. Sisters? Oh yeah I got sisters coming out the... never mind.
Magicdjdon
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Magicdjdon
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 08:34, magic8161 wrote:
When you walk up to a table do you Ask if thsy would like to see some magic? or do you just say hi and start your routine.

Never let the customer have a chance to say No. Immediately start your routine. If they are not receptive, thank them gracefully and move to another table, most likely they will call you back. More importantly, your first table is your most important one. If everyone laughs and claps, other tables will want you.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 17:25, Magicdjdon wrote:

Never let the customer have a chance to say No. Immediately start your routine. If they are not receptive, thank them gracefully and move to another table, most likely they will call you back. More importantly, your first table is your most important one. If everyone laughs and claps, other tables will want you.

Tables always want me. Just last week I walked through a woodshop, the tables couldn't keep their big brown eyes off of me. ONE OF THEM EVEN TRIED TRIPPING ME TO GET MY ATTENTION! But I was just like NO WAY TABLES! I'M FAITHFUL TO MY MAHOGANY NIGHTSTAND! Sure, it broke their hardwood hearts, but I couldn't let them go on thinking I was something I'm not. -end horrible joke-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Never let them have a chance to say no?

Sounds like textbook customer service to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 19:46, Dannydoyle wrote:
Never let them have a chance to say no?

Sounds like textbook customer service to me.

Text book customer service is doing the right thing for the customer. Aggressive sales tactics is never giving them the option to say no.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you ask? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL