The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » 3 Card Joe by Joe Monti (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I recently for a Birthday gift received 3 Card Joe by Joe Monti. I didn't see it coming and was completely taken by surprise as I had no idea my wife was actually listening to me when she asked me what I was interested in "magic wise".

Anyway, upon opening the package I was impressed with how professional the packaging was and how extremely well the Jumbo cards were made. I was equally impressed with the teaching manner of Joe. It was worth every penny my wife spent on it on my behalf LOL)!

However, as mostly a close-up guy, I'm taking some small steps towards performing some stand-up. I would love to hear from anyone who is "CURRENTLY" using 3 Card Joe in their set. I'm very much interested in anyone's feed back as to their opinion of this effect, good or not so good.
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
I saw it on WPR and it pretty much looked like Skinner's. I'm a big fan of monte effects and maybe I'm damaged by being a magician but I thought the gaffs just stared me right in the face. I mean, of course it would fly by some laymen, but isn't it obvious to most people?

I love that the effect can be done in a parlor or stage setting but the fact that the cards are so big also makes the turning quite obvious. Or is it just me?

There was another giant monte effect up for review a couple of months ago but the fact that a DB was used were painfully obvious as well... Can't remember the name of that effect...

Anyway, I really would like to have a 3CM for stage/parlor but I'm still waiting for "the one".
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
The set I received is the 8"x12" size and with what little playing with them I've done so far, I've not found the size to be a problem.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Saw it on a review program; too obvious to me also, but difficult to look at it w/ layman's eyes. Probably be neat in a children's show as part of a longer routine. I certainly would not repeat it too many times as that will pretty much give away the subterfuge.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
safuto
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of safuto
Thank you guys for asking the right questions. To watch the proper performance please see it done in front of a huge TV audience at http://www.3cardjoe.com. BTW it's not Skinners Monti at all. The gaffed cards are very different. Skinner was a friend of mine.
Much appreciation for your inquiries.
Joe Monti
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Ok, I have to admit it looked waaay better in your hands Joe Smile

Goes to show that any trick comes down to showmanship. Great job! Smile
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who is "currently" using 3 Card Joe in their Stand-up/Cabaret set. Interested in what you have to say about it, either good or bad.

Thanks to everyone for looking and possibly responding.
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Here's the WPR on "Three Card Prince" by Harry Anderson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTicbzNk1Rw

Nice kicker ending but 3 card Joe seems to have better presentational options to me. Still on the fence though... Anymore reviews?
www.jensmagi.se
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2379 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I only got this a dew days ago and can say it is very good.

I've adapted the routine moves a little so its the same moves all the way through making it much easier to learn (not that its hard).

I've always like this type of routine but all the different moves and counts has always meant I never ended up using them, this is much better one set of moves can take you through the whole routine.

I've not performed it live yet but will be in the run up to Christmas I'll do it as Joe does and recommends to start with them find my own way.

I also have this on my shop website as a special order which normally takes about a week from order for UK customers.

http://www.paulharrispresents.co.uk/new-......ion.html

This is the version I'm using but the smaller version is also on the site if you have smaller hands!

http://www.paulharrispresents.co.uk/new-......ion.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » 3 Card Joe by Joe Monti (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL