The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Did the Skinner 3 card monte today and.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Question...

Are you pulling these cards from a wallet? If so, there's your problem. Solution. Remove these cards from a deck of of cards. People will assume they're normal since they came from a deck they've already handled. No need to dedicate an entire deck for this one trick, just ring in the cards via Gamblers Cop, and then shuffle them into the deck. Then spread thru and remove them one by one. Problem solved! Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say I have never been a fan of "packet tricks" for exactly the reason Christopher says.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
About 40 years ago I used to carry 4 aces ( regular aces ) in an envelope envelope that I wrote on in large letters with a stencil template: MAGIC TRICK: MIRACLE ACES

I would do Twisting The Aces and The Last Trick Of Dr. Jacob Daley and watch them try to peel the cards, etc.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 00:16, Zombie Magic wrote:
About 40 years ago I used to carry 4 aces ( regular aces ) in an envelope envelope that I wrote on in large letters with a stencil template: MAGIC TRICK: MIRACLE ACES

I would do Twisting The Aces and The Last Trick Of Dr. Jacob Daley and watch them try to peel the cards, etc.

NOW THAT is funny! A nice follow up after they have tried to peal the cards would be to switch them for gimmicked aces and do something beyond the beyond with cards they just inspected! lol
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2012-10-20 13:18, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well I also am not a fan of an audience member constantly being wrong. Tough sell.

But you REALLY said that if they touch the cards "the magic will wear off"? To an adult?

Lets get by using that line for a moment and think about the situation it set up. They have been losing and being wrong. Then you give them an opportunity to mess it up and tell them how to do it. I am not shocked they took the opportunity.

That's hilarious.
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Adding on to what Christopher suggests, just leave the gimmicked card in the deck the entire time or in the card box. It is only one additional card. If you are doing a free choice selection just make sure to control it to the top or the bottom of the deck. If you put the cards away and the gimmick is in the box then you just have to take everything out again.
When I perform my handling of 3 Card Monte, the final phase occurs actually in my hands, no need for a table. I have done it in their hands too, with their hands as the "table" as they cannot flip a card without dropping the packet. Let me also preface that I never open with 3 card monte...

Cheers,

Justin
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
There are two gimmicks in Skinner's version...
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 22:59, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 22:32, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
As soon as you approach a table . . . and pull out a deck (or even a packet) of cards, you are already creating a challenge in the eyes of your audience . . . .

That's an interesting observation.

I don't believe that it's true. Some people might in some situations create a challenge, but universally? I'm skeptical.

Do you have some meat to add to these bones?

I can certainly attempt to. First, I want to change one word from the above quote: "eyes" will be changed to "minds".

Unless someone lives in a city that is just plum full of magicians and they see magic every single day, as noted by Danny, most people are pretty much singly familiar with "pick a card" effects, where cards are concerned. In the minds of those spectators, what do magicians do 98% of the time when they have someone pick a card, when all is said and done? They 'lose the card in the deck and then they find it again'. It does not matter how they lose it and find it.

That whole circumstance, between the selection, remembering, losing and rediscovery of a card, is at least some sort of challenge between you and the participant - even if it is not played as such. This is why some spectators will try and foul you up by forgetting their card, lying about the identity of their chosen card, not admitting to it when you actually do find it, etc. They test you. "Can I beat this magician? Is he/she for real"? This does not just apply strictly to cards and card magic, but I would say that when your average layperson thinks about magic, they think of 'card tricks'. The social status of magic and magicians varies around the globe and exactly which "level" they occupy depends upon the society and the culture in any given area. In some areas they are

I use the word 'challenge' because to probably 80%+ (not an exact figure - I am guessing at a ballpark percentage here) of the general population, magic is a psychological game or a puzzle - something to be solved. To others, it is simply a true and believable mystery - something that cannot be explained so simply. The social status of magic and magicians varies around the globe and exactly which "level" they occupy depends upon the society and the culture in any given area. In some cultures/societies/countries they are revered and in others they are very low on the totem pole.

I hope this makes sense and helps further explain what I meant.
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
I like the keep the cards in the card box. that way it looks normal and, you can pull the 2 cards out and the spectator can pick the third as long as its black. Nice.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 11:36, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 22:59, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 22:32, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
As soon as you approach a table . . . and pull out a deck (or even a packet) of cards, you are already creating a challenge in the eyes of your audience . . . .

That's an interesting observation.

I don't believe that it's true. Some people might in some situations create a challenge, but universally? I'm skeptical.

Do you have some meat to add to these bones?

I can certainly attempt to. First, I want to change one word from the above quote: "eyes" will be changed to "minds".

Unless someone lives in a city that is just plum full of magicians and they see magic every single day, as noted by Danny, most people are pretty much singly familiar with "pick a card" effects, where cards are concerned. In the minds of those spectators, what do magicians do 98% of the time when they have someone pick a card, when all is said and done? They 'lose the card in the deck and then they find it again'. It does not matter how they lose it and find it.

That whole circumstance, between the selection, remembering, losing and rediscovery of a card, is at least some sort of challenge between you and the participant - even if it is not played as such. This is why some spectators will try and foul you up by forgetting their card, lying about the identity of their chosen card, not admitting to it when you actually do find it, etc. They test you. "Can I beat this magician? Is he/she for real"? This does not just apply strictly to cards and card magic, but I would say that when your average layperson thinks about magic, they think of 'card tricks'. The social status of magic and magicians varies around the globe and exactly which "level" they occupy depends upon the society and the culture in any given area. In some areas they are

I use the word 'challenge' because to probably 80%+ (not an exact figure - I am guessing at a ballpark percentage here) of the general population, magic is a psychological game or a puzzle - something to be solved. To others, it is simply a true and believable mystery - something that cannot be explained so simply. The social status of magic and magicians varies around the globe and exactly which "level" they occupy depends upon the society and the culture in any given area. In some cultures/societies/countries they are revered and in others they are very low on the totem pole.

I hope this makes sense and helps further explain what I meant.

It does. But what I read suggests that it's the audience creating the challenge, not the magician.

I can speak from little more than my own experience. I occasionally encounter a spectator who wants to make a challenge out of magic, but only occasionally; it's a rarity for me. Perhaps the fact that I seldom do anything incorporating the you-pick-a-card-I-lose-your-card-I-find-your-card motif has a lot to do with that.

In any case, we can agree that it's not universal.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 12:20, S2000magician wrote:
...It does. But what I read suggests that it's the audience creating the challenge, not the magician.

That is it exactly. It is a stigma magicians may or may not have to deal with *because* of the pre-concieved notions that any given audience/audience member may or may not have about magicians.

Quote:
I can speak from little more than my own experience. I occasionally encounter a spectator who wants to make a challenge out of magic, but only occasionally; it's a rarity for me. Perhaps the fact that I seldom do anything incorporating the you-pick-a-card-I-lose-your-card-I-find-your-card motif has a lot to do with that.

Same for me as well.

Quote:
In any case, we can agree that it's not universal.

Completely agree!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
This is why some spectators will try and foul you up by . . . lying about the identity of their chosen card . . . .

One of the funniest moments I've ever had performing came during the first phase of Larry Jennings' The Visitor: I looked at the card that (I'd claimed) had jumped between the red queens, looked at the woman who had chosen it (who was feigning innocence at that point), and simply said that, "Mary wasn't being quite truthful about the color of her card." Followed by roars, finger-pointing, he-got-yous, and so on.

We relish these moments.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 16:35, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
This is why some spectators will try and foul you up by . . . lying about the identity of their chosen card . . . .

One of the funniest moments I've ever had performing came during the first phase of Larry Jennings' The Visitor: I looked at the card that (I'd claimed) had jumped between the red queens, looked at the woman who had chosen it (who was feigning innocence at that point), and simply said that, "Mary wasn't being quite truthful about the color of her card." Followed by roars, finger-pointing, he-got-yous, and so on.

We relish these moments.

Now that is hilarious! This is the kind of stuff you cannot make up or write.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Did the Skinner 3 card monte today and.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL