We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21861 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Does anyone think this would be a good Manipulation Box to set on a table base? I sometimes question the hinged lid sticking up, but for the New Hand Fan DVD it would be an advantage. Being it has feet, a flange could be attached to the bottom of a table base, and when off it will still set level because of the feet. A cloth cover could be used as well. Also do to the hanging file holder rails, a half board can set on the rails in either direction, or a box for props.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vaultz-Locking......14915243
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If this the the look that you are going for this box will work well. You could do the Jeff McBride thing and simply sit it on a table or stool. Or you could put a flange on the bottom and add a base (Eureka or the Viking or whatever). You will probably want to reinforce the bottom if you go with the flange-stand.

The hinged lid is no real worry, again McBride exploits a hinged lid on one of his videos. You can build a number of holders for steals and prop organization in it.

I think that this is a nice start point that has some features (rails, lid, etc) that will allow you to customize it to exactly fit the need of your manipulation act.

Nice find Bill.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Derfomiundz Ivy
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Derfomiundz Ivy
I was thinking of getting something similar. I have one of the same brand but for cameras, it fits 2 bicycle decks perfectly, just a fancy way to carry decks. . I'm actually looking for something of the same size but cabinet size. Any of you know where I can find something similar but of cabinet size with wheels and good price? It would be great for keeping and perform with my juggling stuff and other magic props.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Maybe you'll find something on their website.

http://www.vaultz.net/products
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bill, I use a Vaultz Box so I think it is a good choice! As someone mentioned, it's all about the look of your stage, props, etc.
Mister Mystery
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Since you asked for opinions...

If as Regan quotes "It's all about the look of your stage, props, etc"--I would think that--even with some kind of drape over the box--the box under discussion would look a little tacky. In contrast, think about how classy the box on Richard Ross's table looks in his FISM act:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Vk0mX2zgk
That box looks like a family heirloom.

A table made from a file chest storage box might be fine for a magician who does birthday party shows, a talk act, or a comedy act--but I think in a manipulation act it looks rather unwieldy and... well, non-magical.

But again, in a comedy act... I could see a magician coming out in a business suit wearing a name tag--and he pulls the name tag off and suddenly it becomes a fan of name tags that he tosses into the file box. Or his assistant could come out holding a legal-sized manila file folder and the magician tosses name tags into it a la Cardini and Swan. Then he segues into giant linking paper clips.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be facetious. This is my honest opinion.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21861 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As Tony Marks and others like Mr. Electric used square box tables, I thought getting something from the common market would be a good substitute for the box table. As far as looking like a file box, well without file folders, I don't think it makes the connection with a little added decoration, like the performer's name.

This of course would be on a 3 leg single support table legs.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In regard to the file box table, Bill comments: "...without file folders, I don't think it makes the connection with a little added decoration, like the performer's name."
Good point. Adding the performer's name or advertising logo to the front of the box dresses the box up a little. Note Levent's table in this videoclip from "Masters of Illusion":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1CuB5B8eZ8
Many exponents of promotion/advertising in magic suggest keeping your name foremost in the audience's mind, and having it visible during the entire act is an excellent way to do that.

On a file cabinet, maybe a fan of jumbo cards could cover the small frame where a label card is usually inserted--or an advertising cut as used often on magicians' business cards and brochures. The logo I designed for my own business card is attached here. The wand and the fan of cards help identify me as a card manipulator.

(I later simplified the spelling of my name to "NARVEZ" because the second "A" confused people into pronouncing my name as "Navarez." "Narvez" I felt was more in line with familiar Hispanic names ending in "-ez" like "Chavez" and "Gomez" and "Alvarez." I'm not sure my Dad was happy about the change, though he never said anything about it..)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Click here to view attached image.
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL