The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Depressed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I just found my very first business card EVER! Circa 1985...

Then I did the math. This was almost 28 years ago. Smile

Feeling very old...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
That card is 28 years old and looks better than some I've seen recently!

You're young at heart. I know 20 year olds that act 75.
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 22:56, Zombie Magic wrote:

And a lot of (us) 50 year olds that act 14!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 22:44, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Feeling very old...

Beats the alternative.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-22 16:39, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Feeling very old...

Beats the alternative.

I don't know...I'd rather feel very young.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 08:37, that'sJustWrong! wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 22:56, Zombie Magic wrote:

And a lot of (us) 50 year olds that act 14!

You been talking to my wife again?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Time to grow some hair back and maybe snag some of those things skimming over the top, Christopher. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
So have you noticed the conspiracy with the newspapers and mirror companies? The print is much smaller in the papers than it was 28 years ago and the reflection in the mirror appear a lot older than the person looking into the mirror really is.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 17:16, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 16:39, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Feeling very old...

Beats the alternative.

I don't know...I'd rather feel very young.

The alternative isn't feeling young; it's being dead.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Cool Christopher. This would make an excellent study in marketing. Put a pic of your current card. I bet it's a lot different. I studied graphic arts in high school and college. With the advent of DIY desktop publishing, it's not uncommon to have guys do their own cards. I would often have someone, (usually a younger kid) hand me his card and he'd be proud that he did it himself. I don't hold back and tell him "Yeah, that's what it looks like." The ubiquitous rabbit in the hat clip art is something that is just done to death by performers....and I bet 90+% of them don't even produce a rabbit from a hat!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Simple and to the point is best. Too many flashy "photoshop" cards today that makes it look like the person is more of a photo editor than an entertainer. I do a few different styles myself. I just have my character on the front and my tagline, and on th eback I list more of what I do. Enough to get the point the across and still leave some mystery. But every card I used got me calls so that is all that matters. What magicians think of my card is irrelevant, so I don't post it.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 00:30, pepka wrote:
The ubiquitous rabbit in the hat clip art is something that is just done to death by performers....and I bet 90+% of them don't even produce a rabbit from a hat!

There's a good chance they don't even know how it's done!
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
I have been in the magic business all of my life. I have never liked the old cards that have the traditional rabbit coming out of the hat. I also know that marketing is constantly changing. I have what I consider a cool business card. However many times I am still asked "Hey do you pull a rabbit out of a hat" . Go figure
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Hocuspocusjay23, it is amazing how often that gets asked. With all the "street magic" that has been on TV in recent years, they ask about the rabbit out of the hat. Even if they never actually have ever seen the trick.

When I was much younger, I use to keep a sponge rabbit in my hat and would do it when asked that question. But, it actually only played like the "Pride and Joy" gag, so I stopped.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
My first magic business card dates back to 1965 and I just turned 68 today. They say a woman is as old as she feels and a man isn't old until 'he stops feeling'. No matter how hard you try... you won't catch up to me. My card is 47 years old. I'm actually doing a 3 hour magic event this Thursday, Oct. 25th.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I once did a show for a father/daughter Valentine's Day party. I ended the show by producing a guinea pig from my top hat.

After the show, one of the dads came up to me and said that if I'd produced a rabbit he wouldn't have been particularly impressed, but the guinea pig impressed him: he wanted to know how I kept it quiet throughout the whole show.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 19:31, hocuspocusjay23 wrote:
"Hey do you pull a rabbit out of a hat"

I tried it once but all I got was a little hair.
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:

Then I did the math. This was almost 28 years ago. Smile

Feeling very old...

28 years?!?!? How old were you when you started, 2?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I tell them I was having a bad hair day.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 02:25, Zuke wrote:

28 years?!?!? How old were you when you started, 2?

It depends on what you consider "started?"

My first "official" gig was when I was 8 years old. I performed strolling magic at a fast food chicken restaurant called Golden Skillet. I wasn't paid anything, and I got the gig b/c I had been playing around with magic for a few years up to this point and my father wanted to support that passion and give me an outlet. Dad had a friend who managed GS and asked him if he'd let me come in on Saturday's and do magic for people during lunch time. It gave my dad an excuse to get out and get a free lunch while I worked...lol!

I was 9 years old in 1985 and people kept asking me if I had a business card which I didn't. So my mother took me to one of the old "brick and mortar printing shops" (remember those?) and we searched thru a big book of clip art till I found one I liked. A couple of weeks later, I had my first business card. I remember being so excited to have one. It made me feel so grown up. I couldn't wait to get back to GS to perform to pass out my card to people. I felt like I was a real entertainer at that point.

Truth be told, I really feel sorry for those who had to endure my magic at my young age. I would usually perform a rabbit paddle, ball vase, and a draw box. I would borrow a quarter from them and make it vanish in the drawer box. I would never make it "re-appear" so I banked a quarter every time I did the trick....LOL! People didn't seem to mind.

So to answer your question, I got my first "magic trick" when I was 4 years old at The State Fair of Virginia and played with magic for a few years and then booked my first restaurant when I was 8, got my first card at 9, and began doing my friends birthday parties and nursing homes when I was 10.

This little walk down memory lane has been brought to you by the number 7 and the letter F.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Depressed! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL