The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks you did so far (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
This is perhaps, the most important question I wanted to ask. It's been almost 10 years now and I have performed a lot of magic effects. But at some point I realized I need to keep track of the effects. Because when I saw some other magician do a trick, I recalled myself doing it in the past, but I had almost forgotten that trick! So, I think it's really important to list the best tricks I have performed in years. It makes it easy to get back to those good old tricks once you get bored with the existing one.

Do you keep track of the tricks you did so far? How? Using an excel sheet? Do you categorize your list of tricks into coins, cards and others? Or do you just list them directly?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I don't have a real formal way to keep track of tricks, although I should. Like many, I've forgotten more than I know. This doesn't come from old age so much as it comes from being very enthusiastic and buying everything, but then finding out that it's not your style. Many tricks that I bought years ago may be fine for a casual performance, but they won't work in the real world because it's not examinable, too tough of a reset or whatever.

One thing I have done is keep a practice deck with the name of a different card trick written on every card. Just keep the deck handy when you practice and shuffle and cut to a card, and practice that trick. Of course, you have to know 52 card tricks.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Wow! That's a good one Sir. Thanks a lot for the idea. Smile
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I have 32 years of tricks so no. Tricks themselves are not as important as being a great entertainer. I have so many that I cycle through that I do not have to keep track. I used to keep track years ago of all the tricks I did for my stage shows, and who I did them for etc, but filled up too many notebooks. I have a great memory also. But I usually add a few new effects at a time over a few months to a year, so by the time a repeat client calls, or I have an opening, most if not all of my act is new. Sometimes I only do 4-5 effects on stage and usually 2-3 for restaurants. So I get A LOT of mileage.
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 00:25, pepka wrote:
I don't have a real formal way to keep track of tricks, although I should. Like many, I've forgotten more than I know. This doesn't come from old age so much as it comes from being very enthusiastic and buying everything, but then finding out that it's not your style. Many tricks that I bought years ago may be fine for a casual performance, but they won't work in the real world because it's not examinable, too tough of a reset or whatever.

One thing I have done is keep a practice deck with the name of a different card trick written on every card. Just keep the deck handy when you practice and shuffle and cut to a card, and practice that trick. Of course, you have to know 52 card tricks.

Over the years I have also opened a book to a random trick, or picked out a random DVD and picked a trick to work on, or random number for the trick.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

I have lots of tricks and bad memory. I definitely need to keep track of stuff I did!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I keep track of what effects I own.man its a booklet full.i can always look at it. and decide if I want to use one in a show.
todd
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
I have performed at amusement parks for the last 15 yrs. It's a great idea to keep track of the tricks you do . I recycle many effects after about a 3 to 4 year period. However there are a couple of signature pieces that I leave in often, just because the regulars come to see them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Write a jornal, or better yet it is easy today to keep a video journal.

I have never done tricks I don't use in my act. Magic is and never has been a hobby for me. Only reason I have ever done it was simply for money. So the number of tricks I learned just to learn I can probably count on my fingers.

But a video journal will help you with remembering moves, lines and subtle things quite well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
You know what's sad, I had one effect that was completely my own, just one, sure I have my own version and own handling of a lot of stuff, but I had only one effect that I created myself. I remember that I loved it, but I stopped using it for a while, and BAM, I can't remember it for the life of me, I should have wrote it down somewhere. It wasn't like great or revolutionary, it was pretty simple and probably been done before, but I thought of the idea and the handling myself and I just can't figure it out again, I've even tried to duplicate the conditions that I came up with it in, sleep deprived at 5am, but I cant remember it, so I think Imma start writing down only my favorite effects
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yep, a video journal is a great idea too. I had created 6 of my own strong effects. I had made the video journal of them. @Gary, in the future if you recall the effect you created, ASAP make a video journal, as Danny mentioned. Because we could always refer to DVDs to learn other's tricks. But if we don't have video journal of our original effects, it will be hard for us to recall.

I keep a list of the best tricks only, otherwise it would take me ages to search through the list, what I am looking for!
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
I carry a small Mead spiral bound notebook wherever I go. It has different chapters in it. The chapters range from tricks, philosophy, humor, sleights, lines, etc. All my set routines are in it. Also, whenever I come up with a new idea I write it down on the spot. Sometimes as I'm watching TV if I hear a funny line that can be applied to a routine I'll write it down. If I didn't do this I really would have forgotten more than I know. Doing this really helps In putting routines together.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I have a list of tricks in my case which I don't often do. Sometimes at a gig when I need some new material I go to the list just to remind myself of some effects.
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
I agree with Jumbopenny, actually I am big fan of lists

I have separate lists for *effects I do *effects I have seen that might fit me *my original effects that I do or intending to develop, *personal touches, *repeated mistakes, etc

also I have a ¨Feedback list¨ it contains audience reactions, in other words, every-time when I get strong or weak reactions I write the experience.

another list I started recently is a ¨Progress list¨, every time I feel something important happened during performing a routine, I write it down!
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 22:24, Dima Mystery Artist wrote:
I agree with Jumbopenny, actually I am big fan of lists

I have separate lists for *effects I do *effects I have seen that might fit me *my original effects that I do or intending to develop, *personal touches, *repeated mistakes, etc

also I have a ¨Feedback list¨ it contains audience reactions, in other words, every-time when I get strong or weak reactions I write the experience.

another list I started recently is a ¨Progress list¨, every time I feel something important happened during performing a routine, I write it down!

Must be a lot of work! Smile How do you maintain these lists? using excel sheet?
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Simple word sheet.

yes a lot of work and I constantly change them, with the time I learnt to be more effective.
but it also save time...as I can review reactions and clearly see that routine A ain't strong enough, while people always wonder about routine B, so I can leave the first routine and focus on the second.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

You must be having patience like Tommy Wonder! Good job!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks you did so far (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL