The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New rubik cube magic trick - RUBIK'S NIGHTMARE by Michael Lam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
This all of a sudden hits my head! I remember seeing this post from Akira Fujii of this guy's raw demo here some time ago. If I remember it right, the rubik's cube was mixed right before he tossed for the visual restore. I remember it being very clean. If this is that one, that's very exciting!

But again, I am not 100% certain. With all respect, I am very bad with Asian faces..
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 10:14, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Also interested in how difficult this is and if there is memory work involved.

I would imagine, though am not certain, that there is a small amount of memory work invloved.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12219 Posts

Profile of John C
As far as the current rubix trick being reviewed :

Rubik's Nightmare is a two-phase professional routine directly from Michael's TV repertoire. Gimmickless. Angle proof. NO you do NOT need to know how to solve a Rubik's cube to learn this. Michael has done his work to sand it down and simplify the process. With multi-angle step by step instruction, you'll be performing Rubik's Nightmare in no time.

don't know about jermays
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3492 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Jermays is the same as this demo shows, no gimmick or memory work but with a kicker ending using a magic square which requires the minimum of memory but very simply as the number is basically forced by the performer with a very logical reason. I guess the difference between the 2 is this one the ending is throwing the cube in the air and solving it.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 09:38, magicjy wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 09:18, John C wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 01:00, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 22:09, MagicMaddy wrote:

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP

Interesting Rubik's Cube twist by Lam. I'm know as the Rubik's Cube magician because of my Rubik's Cube Manipulation Act. However, I do perform a few stand-up talking cube effects. I enjoyed watching the video but it lacks the full routine because of edit breaks and switches Smile

http://www.lybrary.com/rubix-square-p-11......74d7b5dc

Smile

Do you have this Ustaad? Slight of hand? Switching cubes?

Easy? Medium? Beyond my ability?

Here's my review of Luke Jermay's effect if anyone is interested: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2523

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
MBrook3902
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of MBrook3902
Thanks. You just saved me $45
It takes 4 to 6 minutes for the brain to die without oxygen. I can fix anything in that amount of time.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3492 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Different strokes for different folks I guess Caleb, as Jermays version with a couple of my own touches has gone over well for the corporate crowd I've performed it for. I too luv the premise of the cube in presentations.
But anyway that's not the issue were I'm coming from. Do you see a different approach with this new version. As I stated above, "I could be missing something" if someone can see the difference between this and Jermays apart from the toss and solve at the end I'd really like to know. If its an improvement I'd like to buy it.
What's your thoughts on differences Caleb?
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I'm not sure who was the first to come up with the idea to have two cubes match, but I don't think it was Luke Jermay. Most versions I've seen come down to the handling of the one key moment that seems common to all versions I've come across. Luke's presentation does add something new with his presentation with the magic square, but I find the mistakes in the write up inexcusable. Like I mentioned in the review, I'm sure someone could finesse it into a great performance piece, but I just don't think it's a viable magic product to be selling to people at this point.

I also love cube effects so this will be on my "to buy" list no matter what I'm afraid. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if all previous versions are made pretty much obsolete once Greg Wilson releases his work on this plot. I REALLY can't wait for that.

All this talk of Rubik's Cube effects has got me thinking about which ones I may have missed over the years. Here's the ones I've investigated. Are there any other published effects that I'm missing?

Daryl's Enchanted Cube
Instacube
Mark Elsdon's The Last Word
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Predicted
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Remembered
Luke Jermay's Rubix Square
Ed Alonzo's Oral Fixational
Gustavo Raley's Magic Cube

Caleb

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1608 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Dear All,

For those who are query about this effect, I sincerely hope that you will consider to get Michael Lam's Rubiks' Nightmare DVD as I am glad to get this before the world major release of this wonderful effect.

I like the effect because:
- Rubiks cube are common item, even more common than a deck of cards sometimes.
- It use only one non gimmick Rubik's cube for instant restoration, no alternation whatsoever require.
- It is easy to do.
- Visual effect
- Commercial

Michael Lam teaches the walk through step by step, with different camera angle including over the shoulder angle and slow motion to ENSURE that customer will learn how to do this effect with practice.

For your serious consideration before it sold out.

Sincerely,
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3492 Posts

Profile of takeachance
[quote]On 2012-10-24 22:09, Caleb Wiles wrote:

Daryl's Enchanted Cube
Instacube
Mark Elsdon's The Last Word
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Predicted
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Remembered
Luke Jermay's Rubix Square
Ed Alonzo's Oral Fixational
Gustavo Raley's Magic Cube

Ha, LOL, I have the same. Oral fixation is another favorite of mine at the right time and place. I must say your taste is impeccable and you like the plot as much as I do, no doubting that. For the small price and because I'm a cube junkie I'll be picking this up. If there is only one slight improvement, I'll be happy. But at the moment after watching the demo it just seems so, so close. The square and the reason for it as the ending I think is well worth the price of Jermays manuscript. Thanks for the heads up on Wilson Caleb, I'll keep a watch for it.
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
I saw Greg Wilson's a year or so ago. I figured it would be released by now. It's really good.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
872 Posts

Profile of gitty
I bought ONE SECOND CUBE in Japan a few months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLLMFLvmGU
WALTHER
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 17:45, gitty wrote:
I bought ONE SECOND CUBE in Japan a few months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLLMFLvmGU

What do you think of it?
Turpoint
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Turpoint
At 2:10 you can see the whole trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSKsckEd4g
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Thanks for the link Turpoint, as this video is more "revealing"... if ya know what I mean.
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 22:09, Caleb Wiles wrote:
I'm not sure who was the first to come up with the idea to have two cubes match, but I don't think it was Luke Jermay.

The plot was proposed as a challenge in Abracadabra magazine about 30 years ago, with a prize for whoever submitted the best solution. So the first person to publish the premise of a magician and spectator both mixing Rubik's Cubes and having both the cubes match may well have been Donald Bevan, the editor of Abra. Like with this current version, the methods published in Abra at the time relied on at least one of the cubes being miniature size.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 07:04, Caliban wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 22:09, Caleb Wiles wrote:
I'm not sure who was the first to come up with the idea to have two cubes match, but I don't think it was Luke Jermay.

The plot was proposed as a challenge in Abracadabra magazine about 30 years ago, with a prize for whoever submitted the best solution. So the first person to publish the premise of a magician and spectator both mixing Rubik's Cubes and having both the cubes match may well have been Donald Bevan, the editor of Abra. Like with this current version, the methods published in Abra at the time relied on at least one of the cubes being miniature size.

Thanks for the info. I always find it interesting to investigate the history of effects.

Caleb

prestigemagic
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
34 Posts

Profile of prestigemagic
I'm confused guys...the promo and type for this effect states it is Gimmickless yet all the pre-sales say Gimmick and DVD...which is it?, can anyone confirm?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2523 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Always a catch.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2523 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 21:01, Caleb Wiles wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 09:38, magicjy wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 09:18, John C wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 01:00, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 22:09, MagicMaddy wrote:

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP

Interesting Rubik's Cube twist by Lam. I'm know as the Rubik's Cube magician because of my Rubik's Cube Manipulation Act. However, I do perform a few stand-up talking cube effects. I enjoyed watching the video but it lacks the full routine because of edit breaks and switches Smile

http://www.lybrary.com/rubix-square-p-11......74d7b5dc

Smile

Do you have this Ustaad? Slight of hand? Switching cubes?

Easy? Medium? Beyond my ability?

Here's my review of Luke Jermay's effect if anyone is interested: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2523

Caleb

So, what's the verdict, Luke's is not that good.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New rubik cube magic trick - RUBIK'S NIGHTMARE by Michael Lam (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL