The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » thumb tie routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Afternoon all!

As many of you will know from my other posts, I'm a juggler who incorporates bits of magic into some routines. Well, I'm no escapologist but I've been made aware of various thumb-tie routines. Are they any good— in terms of effect rather than presentation?

Here's a question. Can a spectator hold an object while the magician passes his tied thumbs apparently through it?

If your answer is likely to reveal a method, please PM me.

Slainte
ML
Smile
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi ML,

Yes. One really nice move (I think Willard performed) is to have the spectator stand facing you. You raise your arms up and have them put their right arm through both of yours and place it onto your right shoulder. Tell them to press down hard and don't let go, effectively trapping your tied hands around their arm.

You can then take your hands, which are above his/her arm, and pull them straight down through their arm and free. Performed correctly, they will not see the method.

Some magicians have had the spectator hold a broad sword upright, and they pass their hands through the blade towards the spectator. Again, performed correctly, they will not see the method.

Joe Marotta
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Thanks, Joe, that is what I wanted to hear. I had an idea incorporating this with my knife juggling routine.

Are there recommended books/ pamphlets/ props for this?

Slainte
ML
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
618 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Hi,

Mac King has a very good routine using this effect!!! You should check it!
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Read:
Tarbell vol 4— 16 thumb tie gems.

These books contain 30 different methods and routines. My current book collection contains about 60 different methods.

The effect is strong in the right hands.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi ML,

To Dan Kirsch's suggested book list let me add Micky Hades' New Expanded Encyclopedia of Escapes and the original version, The Encyclopedia of Escapes by McLaury. The former is a remake of the latter. There are 5 versions of the thumb tie in them.

No doubt, there are MANY magic books that include a version of the thumb tie in them. You can tie your thumbs with brown cord used to tie up packages, or string, or even electricians tape! Many choices and styles to choose from.

You can find another discussion about thumb ties in general at this location in the Café:
Forum Index
Rings, Strings and Things
Is it thumb ties?

How is your thumb tie routine coming along?

Let us know how it goes for you.

Joe Marotta
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Thanks Joe. My routine is coming along fine— it is part of a larger juggling/magic/comedy act and is going to take a while to get just right. I promise to video it when ready and let you guys be the first to see it!

Slainte
ML
:stout:
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I have been looking into thumb ties the last couple of weeks. There is a good video of a Japanese magician online doing this trick.

Click Here!

I don't look good in robes Smile and I probably should not play with knives. Smile I know, maybe something with a folding chair. Nah, that's been done too.

He is very skillful at the thumb tie.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Thanks for the link. I've now got my thumb tie routine going. It's great stuff— thanks to those who helped me put it together (you know who you are)!

ML
jcs013
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of jcs013
Tarbell also has some good thumb ties.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » thumb tie routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL