The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » My review of a SAD night in Hamburg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Looch is one of a small minority of mentalists who specialize in close up walk around mentalism. Having enjoyed his book and DVD set I was keen to see what his latest work has to offer.

Until a sort while ago this e-book was only released to a small minority having been developed to support his lecture in Hamburg (hence the title). Even without Looch by your side to talk you through the forty eight pages of this work I found it a very pleasant read and one which was concise enough for even a novice performer to understand.

It is very obvious that this material is the result of countless real world performances for paying audiences. In short Looch has learned his craft the hard way and has documented his findings so that we can benefit from the fruits of his labor.

The main focal point of this work is to provide the reader with a working set template which will require very little pocket space and yet still play strong enough for the most challenging of audiences. The cliche packs small and plays big is certainly very apt here and 'm happy to report that this work delivers on both these counts

Looch opens with a discussion on the use of business cards in a mentalism. This provides a lot of food for thought and his insights offer new avenues of thought that would never have even crossed my mind. Topics here include how to hand out your business cards and how best to utilize them within performance.

Looch then details the select items (tools of the trade) that he carries upon his person for his walk around set. His revelations pertaining to the use of Post-it notes (with a nod to Julian (Bev) Moore) and his application of said items is fantastic. This routine is both fully illustrated and explained.

Any seasoned mentalist will agree that Mentalism by its very nature generally lacks the visual appeal that is so often found within its magic counterpart. This becomes important when the performer wishes to engage a larger crowd or draw an interest from other tables/guests. Looch offers some very practical methods and insights into how to make mentalism more visual and the techniques taught here are superb best of all these can easily be adapted to fit almost any routine you may be currently performing.

Next Looch discuses ideas for creating a working set which is flexible enough to be cut short due unforeseen events. Once again Looch displays a knowledge that can only be learned from experience, Looch even offers the reader a couple of example sets to help to clarify his point.

Next comes the meat of the material in which Looch walks us through one of his own personal sets. These including full patter, presentation and methodology. I can honestly say that this set contains some knockout material which includes:

Two spectators correctly intuiting a two digit number that you have written down in advance.
Reading the body language of several spectators to determine their names.
Predicting various choices that your spectator will make ahead of time.
Identifying and describing an unspoken memory that the spectator is concentrating on.
A realistic method for revealing the name of a selected card.

Despite having already received great value for may money I was further thrilled to read his thoughts on the "Spectator as mind reader" plot, how to choose your spectators, layering your methods for maximum impact, dealing with chance and coincidence and the e-book finally ends with an idea that is so devious even Sherlock Holmes wouldn't be able to fathom.

I'm sure you will have realized that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this work. It very much encapsulates Looches S.A.D (Simple and Direct) approach to mentalism and offers the reader a wide variety of insights into tried and tested methods for the close up mentalist.
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
Very much agree with this review. And what's really great is that Looch's packhorse principle means that these notes are equally useful to those of us performing professionally and those who perform casually but don't want to leave the house with pockets loaded with stuff 'just in case'.

They're a simple, direct goddam bargain.
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Thanks Harris0n, that's my first official in depth review of a marketed item.

I've just got hold of his other ebook titled 4.8 which I've been informed is his newer offering. It seems that he wrote the Hamburg notes in 2009 (Not that this makes the slightest difference). Ill review this latest work when I've digested the material Smile

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
120 Posts

Profile of timlic
Michael,

I totally agree with your thoughts. I literally read through the notes last night and didn't find myself getting distracted or my attention span disappearing (which happens a lot!!)

I find Looch's writing very conversational as if he's speaking TO you, not AT you. This, I like!

I found a lot of little gems in the 48 pages - It's not just effect after effect, there's some great tips in there.

Good work Looch!
BenCummings
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of BenCummings
Just to chime in and echo what the others have said ... I found the "thinking" process behind this routine to be wonderful. If you've been around mentalism for some time, after awhile you begin to de-emphasize the "methods" (eg. how tricks are done), and you really appreciate the subtleties, the nuances, and things like pacing ands routining of a mentalism act. That is what you have here. A really nicely routined act and solid thinking behind the process. Nice job Looch.

For what it's worth...
Ben Cummings
Conversations With Mind Readers - Crawl inside the minds of 32 of the greatest<br> mentalists on the planet. After a decades absence, it's available again on a limited basis:

http://conversationswithmindreaders.com
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Thank you gentleman, wonderful feedback ! I appreciate the time you've taken to review my notes Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I also think these notes are top notch.They are the first set of lecture notes I have ever purchased and really don't need to buy any other notes from anyone as these have everything I need in them!!

Kieran
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I already owned 4.8 so was going to give these notes a miss.
Boy am I glad I didn't!

As well as some great solid effects, and hints on how to come up with others, the thinking on how to structure a set is brilliant.
As is his thoughts on business card "management".

It's quite obvious that Loochy boy has worked out in the real world and knows what he's talking (writing) about.

Any one who does or intends to do close-up mentalism should read these notes.

Steve
snm
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of snm
Where can these be bought?
Patrick2409
View Profile
New user
Germany
60 Posts

Profile of Patrick2409
Check Looch's signature on his post above. There he provided the link to his page.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
But its password protected... Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Jheffs recently reviewed these notes here: http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/sadnigh.html
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Preston, England
382 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
Just received these notes and I have to say they're excellent.

Not only are the routines strong but the other information given is extremely useful to anyone venturing into the field of close up mentalism.

I'm very happy with this purchase and I'll definitely be using some of the ideas. On the strength of some of the information inside I also bought Mr Moores Post It Note book, which is also extremely useful for the close up and walk around mentalist.

Tony
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
I recently won both 4.8 mins and The Hamburg notes in Looch's christmas competition and all I can say is.......FML!

This is not "creative mentalism" with interesting twists..... These are not groundbreaking routines with clever, bold thinking..... In fact these notes are unlike anything else you would consider buying.

The Hamburg notes outline an approach to close up performance that is designed to SYSTEMATICALLY and EFFICIENTLY amaze people in a close up environment. Looch's route to achieving the outcome of "audience entertainment/amazement" is to keep it simple and direct.

Taking a SAD approach is about delivering close up mentalism that allows you to be in complete control of the environment and to be able to deliver amazement, whatever the conditions.

In these notes you will learn:

- How to get the most out of simple, invisible props - NW, B****T I***X, Business cards, Post it notes etc

- how to structure your sets for maximum impact regardless of interruptions

- Business card tips that will enable you to generate leads whilst performing

- A criteria for selecting openings that enable you to capture 100% attention of the participants

- Thinking how to turn your routines into visual spectacles that will have everyone in the room wanting to see more

- How to deliver entertainment to 200+ people a night with a handfull of invisible props

The notes are also packed with some of Looch's top material that illustrates the SAD approach. This is the material Looch has used gig after gig to pay the bills and get rebooked. What's really interesting about this material is that in principle its stuff every mentalist should and probably does know. There's nothing overly difficult about the material and nor would it be considered "risky or bold" This is about approaching mentalism from the mind set of "How can I deliver amazement to every guest a paying client has in the most efficient manner possible"

In "4.8 mins" looch goes on to detail a close up routine that has been designed with the table hopping mentalist in mind. This is a routine that has been polished in the real world under tight contraints. It is about delivering on the expectations of paying clients and ensuring that their guests will be amazed by the mindreader. This routine combines the best effects in mentalism in the most efficient manner Ive ever read and leaves the audience stunned.

By taking the approach in Looch's notes you could easily put together a world class close up set that enable you deliver maximum entertainment, get booked and get rebooked.

To get the notes you will need to visit Looch's product page:

http://www.looch.co.uk/products

You will need the password which you can get by PMing Looch directly.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
How much crossover is there between both these lecture notes and his Your Thoughts Are Mine DVD and SAD book that Alakazam put out?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
The 4.8 min notes review in this thread is being discussed here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=60#9

Very little cross over, nod to Pocketwatch gets mentioned in both, that's about it.
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
Thanks very much Looch
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
I never read other reviews prior to writing my own. It's interesting how in fact we all here agree on some aspects of Looch's work, but also to see that we tend to highlight some aspects rather than others according to our personal backgrounds, sensitivity, interests.
Here is my take on SAD night in Hamburg.

*****The rationale*****
Wayne Looch Bolsover is one of the most interesting young professionals in Mentalism around. His specialty is walkaround gigs, and close-up mentalism, and in this field –which is not a mainstream one- he can claim to have a great experience, and a great level of insight. Looch is a nice and unassuming person, and in his books he shares with a great degree of simplicity what he thinks and what he does with his audiences. There is a great deal to learn from his thinking also if one does not do the same things –particularly in S.A.D. night in Hamburg, you’ll find –effects apart- a wealth of important advice about important *professional* aspects of the craft.
Attitude is everything –attitude coupled with habitude. A professional is preceded not only by his name, but also immediately by the way he appears and behaves *before* doing anything. Attitude must become also a habitude –to do things in an ordered manner, and not to leave anything important to chance. Which does not mean to be rigid –Looch’s approach is a ‘jazzing’ one, but instead means not to be shaggy in one’s basic way of framing things.

*****Structure and content*****
In these notes, there are many effects. Strong and workables ones. But the very great interest of the book lies mostly in the methodological notes, to which the main part of the pages are dedicated.
The first part is dedicated to the economic principle of ‘how to not’ become a packhorse –that is: to have on self only what will be needed for that occasion. It’s in itself a great lesson even if you don’t do what Looch does (as is my case, for instance): here you learn an attitude, which you can transfer onto your way of doing things.

There is then a very interesting discussion about how, and when (and if) to use one’s / borrowed / no / business cards in Mentalism (or whether one’s BC should be given more importance than that of a billet).
Many other tips follow, the most interesting being IMO an analysis about how to create logically ordered routines (a thing too often forgotten also by accomplished pros). Looch does not talk that much about narrative, but rather about congruency –in a very convincing way.

A praise for a visual approach to Mentalism follow, and a nice discussion about the concepts of chance and coincidence (and about how to milk on certain occasions). Then, there come the routines –very nice stuff, and very well explained.

Then, at pgs. 39-40 you will find another gem: Looch’s take on a much discussed topic, that of the mutual exclusivity or the possible mixing of the psychic and psychological approaches to Mentalism. And it’s two pages of pure food for thought.

*****Pros and cons of the book*****
No cons. Buy it, there is really a lot to learn from this chap. Professionalism in the first –then many other things. Congrats, Wayne.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Like the rest of the group, I can't sung the praises of this release enough. Of special note, for me, is the memories routine. This brought me back to the initial joy of outlaw effects kioku (a similar premise, totally different method). Yet again, this exemplifies Looch's approach to all of his work. Such minimal effort from a technical standpoint allows you to focus on making a connection with your spectators in a meaningful way. For me, this has always been one of the hurdles of close-up mentalism. It's sometimes difficult to make an instant connection with a spectator. Memories allows you that opportunity to make the connection, for me, this was one of the standouts of the entire book. Looch also mentions this has been expanded upon, and an even stronger version is in the works, like everything else he puts out, I'll be right in line to pick it up.

I cannot recommend this (and his 4.8 notes) enough. The thinking that goes into structure and his efforts to rid himself of the "packhorse problem" has been one of the biggest influences to my rent walkaround work. It's unfortunate that I don't live in England, because if I did, I'd gladly buy Looch a few pints as thanks!

If you are considering the avenue of close up, walkaround mentalism - you need this and 4.8 in your library,
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Hi guys
Thanks so much for your positive praise for these notes. I am going to be lecturing on some of the effects and theory in these notesmfor Penguin Live next Sunday (17th Feb) if you have something you would like me to touch on during the lecture from this release please let me know ASAP!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » My review of a SAD night in Hamburg (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL