We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Topical Humor Sources (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gregg Tobo
View Profile
New user
Denver
64 Posts

Profile of Gregg Tobo
Can anyone recommend a good source of topical humor? I'm looking for original one-liners and quips for today's Headline news.

I have been investigating some Radio Prep services, but many tend to rely heavily on Wierd News (Undigested Tennis Show Found in Teenagers Stomach!), rather than Headline news.

I am developing a memory act in which the audience calls out page numbers from Newsweek magazine, and I tell them what's on each page.

My sense of humor is somewhat underdeveloped, and I'd like to add humor to make a tedious process, more entertaining.

Any suggestions on a source for topical humor?

Thanks,

Gregg Tobo
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I'd recommend watching The Tonight Show - Leno is a master at topical humor, and from watching his style, I've learned to come up with some of my own material when I read the news.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Gregg,
I did a quick Google search and came up with a couple of hits hope they help!
http://halife.com
http://www.praning.com/forum/forumdisplay/f-12.html
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Greg,
You write, "Can anyone recommend a good source of topical humor? I'm looking for original one-liners and quips for today's Headline news."

If anyone recommends a source, then it's NOT original, is it?

Canned patter, and that includes canned comedy, sounds to an audience exactly like what it is: Canned.

Work on your own sense of humor. You say yours in "underdeveloped", which means that you realize it CAN be developed; do so, rather than relying on lines that aren't really funny for anyone other than the originator.

And, if your memory act is, in fact, "tedious" as you say, then work on livening up the presentation.

Finally, if you insist on using canned material, go to a search engine like Google and look up the stuff on your own!
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I agree with Peter canned is just that. Another tip is listen to as many different comedians as pos.
IMHO Jay Leno is far from funny.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
Quote:
On 2003-10-31 08:01, Gregg Tobo wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source of topical humor? I'm looking for original one-liners and quips for today's Headline news.

I have been investigating some Radio Prep services, but many tend to rely heavily on Wierd News (Undigested Tennis Show Found in Teenagers Stomach!), rather than Headline news.

I am developing a memory act in which the audience calls out page numbers from Newsweek magazine, and I tell them what's on each page.

My sense of humor is somewhat underdeveloped, and I'd like to add humor to make a tedious process, more entertaining.

Any suggestions on a source for topical humor?

Thanks,

Gregg Tobo

I would recommend "Sleight Of Mouth by Harry Allen"

you can get it here for $18.00
http://themagicwarehouse.com/booksge7.html#bk8087

Gary
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Wait a minute! Wait a minute!
I want to hear more about the teenager that ate the "tennis show"!
Smile
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
I recommend:
http://www.newsoftheweird.com/
http://www.theonion.com/

Great sources for funny stories... The jokes should just come to you. If you try to make a joke or pun out of every story, you might come up with some pretty good ones on your own.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I am jumping on the magic wagon with the canned patter. Try to avoid it. It is possible to blend it in with your own but original is best.
Get your ideas from news, your life, or whatever.
Keep a note pad handy to jot down notes when you get ideas. They are very easy to forget.
Read books on comedy. There are many out there. Just go to your local library and you will find lots.
Daniel Faith
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
Steve Martin said to put a piece of bologna in each of your shoes. That way when you walk out on stage - you feel funny
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
And remember this . . .

There is a big, big difference between a performer who says funny things . . . and a performer who says things funny!!!

If you've known a joke that made you laugh when you heard it, and made your buddies laugh when you told it to them at a party, but that fell flat when presented to an audience over a microphone, you've experienced that difference.

Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Topical Humor Sources (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL