The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Warming up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
I'm interested in knowing how you all warm up before you perform and/or practice. Do you do any particular vocal exercises? If so, what do you do? For how long is your warm up? Do you avoid any particular drinks and/or food? Do you drink tea, hot water with lemon, or something else?
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I drink nothing with ice in it and I always use lemon drops or a hard candy before and after a show.
Do not use a soar throat drop the chemicals in it will do you damage in the long run.
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Jay Johnson once told me that a vent's voice should be treated like that of a professional singer. I don't drink milky drinks before a performance it creates too much mucus in your vocal chords. I like to sip warm herbal tea, I do mouth and tongue stretching doing a "waaah" sound as I stretch. Always drink lots of water it keeps you from dehydrating.
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Ronn Lucas once told me that he drinks a warm diet coke before a show.. He said it helped especially with prepping himself for the distant voice - which he does differently than most.. With his technique, you could do the distant voice even with a cold or flu..
Myself, I tend not to drink anything before a show.. As I don't want to get natures call during a performance, but I often suck on a fishermans friend before a show
(that's a brand of lozenge if anyone is confused)..
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Thanks for the responses, guys. The reason I ask is that lately I have noticed that my voice is taking quite a beating. I teach every day from 9:00-4:00, and on a few nights a week, I continue to teach until 10:00PM. As I want to get back into performing more, I want my voice to be in much better shape. When I went through acting training, I learned some pretty extensive vocal exercises, which I think will still serve me.

Damien, when I was in school, all the actor wannabes, including me, sucked down Fisherman's Friends and Evian water! Brings back memories. I may get some Fisherman's Friends. Thanks for the reminder.

In his book, Al Stevens recommends warm water with lemon juice. And I know some performers recommend the spray Entertainer's Secret, but I am a bit weary of it. Does anyone here know anything about it? See site:

http://entertainerssecretthroatspray.com/

I'm also thinking about getting the book "The Voice Book". Does anyone know about it? Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Voice-Book-Pro......r_sims_t

Thanks again for your input!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Warming up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL