We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Victorian era coin gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corey Toews
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Corey Toews
I'm wondering if anybody who has an expansive knowlage of coins would be able to point me in the right direction of common sizes of coins from the late 1800's to the early 1900's? I'm involved with a local steampunk group and would like to try to find a Canadian coin and a British coin dated 1888 for a routine idea involving scotch and soda gaff.

Any advise would be appreciated.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
856 Posts

Profile of boydy
UK Victorian pennies are standard uk penny size. I got various custom sets made from Lassen and if you check his blog there are Victorian penny gaffs that come up regularly.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Hey, Corey, Visit a coin shop. They can fill you in. And Welcome to the Magic Café!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2646 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 01:32, Corey Toews wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody who has an expansive knowlage of coins would be able to point me in the right direction of common sizes of coins from the late 1800's to the early 1900's? I'm involved with a local steampunk group and would like to try to find a Canadian coin and a British coin dated 1888 for a routine idea involving scotch and soda gaff.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Corey,

Popular British Coins in use during the 19th Century were as follows:

1. Quarter farthing, third farthing, half farthing, farthing - copper in colour, very rare and all around the sizes of a U.S. penny

2. Half penny - copper, roughly the size of a quarter dollar

3. Penny - copper, roughly the size of a half dollar, and Victorian Pennies are still very cheap. A set of four Victorian Pennies, with an expanded shell, are around £20

4. Three half pence - silver, and around the size of a dime

5. Groat - which was 4 pence - very rare - never even seen one!

6. Sixpence - silver and around the size of a dime

7. Shilling - silver around the size of a quarter dollar

8. Florin/two shilling/two bob - silver, between the sizes of a quarter and half dollar

9. Crown - silver, around the size of a Morgan Dollar but 19th Century Crowns are very rare and therefore expensive

10. Half Crown - silver, around the size of a Half Dollar (but a little thicker)

11. Third Guinea - silver, extremely rare as they were only minted during the reign of George III

12. Half Sovereign - gold, various sizes from quarter to half holler, but since become a bullion coin

Well that's about it - these were our regular coins in use.

Just to add that there are some British Magic Dealers now supplying gaffs, primarily with Victorian Pennies (due to their smooth, dark patina) and silver Half Crowns.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Barry,

What a wonderful reference for British coins. Thank you.

I have a Lassen EX shell set with Victorian pennies. I don't really use it, but pull it out from time to time to admire what a beautiful coin it is. Dark, smooth, beautiful.

Sometimes I think of selling this set in order to finance other magic purchases, but as soon as I pull this set out and look at the beauty of the coins, I change my mind.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2646 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-10-29 14:48, Sammy J. wrote:
Barry,

What a wonderful reference for British coins. Thank you.

I have a Lassen EX shell set with Victorian pennies. I don't really use it, but pull it out from time to time to admire what a beautiful coin it is. Dark, smooth, beautiful.

Sometimes I think of selling this set in order to finance other magic purchases, but as soon as I pull this set out and look at the beauty of the coins, I change my mind.

Sammy

Thanks Sammy for your kind words.

All I'd say is that you don't realise you are missing something until it's gone and, when you buy something that you 'think' you want, it often immediately loses it's attraction. Smile
Barry Allen

Joe Riding

bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On 2012-10-29 21:10, Merc Man wrote:

All I'd say is that you don't realise you are missing something until it's gone and, when you buy something that you 'think' you want, it often immediately loses it's attraction. Smile

that's so true my friend
todd
Corey Toews
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Corey Toews
Thanks for the excellent reference Barry! (If I may call you Barry) I spent most of this morning researching coins and prices and I think that a Shilling/Canadian quarter gaff may be the most affordable. I immediately rejected using a Candadian half dollar/English penny when I found that a half dollar from that period would run $400 CAD in "Very Good" condition.

And Sammy, thanks for reminding me of Todd Lasson. I came across his site early on but could never remember his name after and of course I did'n't bookmark it.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2012-10-29 05:58, Merc Man wrote:

Just to add that there are some British Magic Dealers now supplying gaffs, primarily with Victorian Pennies (due to their smooth, dark patina) and silver Half Crowns.

Hi Barry,
Who's doing gaffs in silver half crowns? This would be really useful for me as I wouldn't need to get custom ones made.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
If this is steampunk you're talking about. why limit yourself to coins? You caould do some interesting effects with cogs and gears.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Corey Toews
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Corey Toews
Darn you Payne! Not like I needed any further ideas! Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to combine a version of the misers dream with the Vampire illusion using an autonomaton head and throwing gears into it.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I like the idea of doing a misers dream with gears and cogs to assemble an automaton with
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1104 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On 2012-10-31 08:36, Neal Alexander wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-29 05:58, Merc Man wrote:

Hi Barry,
Who's doing gaffs in silver half crowns? This would be really useful for me as I wouldn't need to get custom ones made.

Neil,

http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/Fa......ins.html

Scroll down & you'll see some half crown gaffs. I don't know how good they are though.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1468 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Those half crowns are pretty good, I have a set myself.
They are clad though.
"But there isn't a door"
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2646 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Russell has kindly given you the link.

Just to add, check out ebaY for split coins in Old Penny and Half Crown too - there's a seller on there that advertises them quite regularly with a low starting bid.

Not sure of the quality, as I don't use splits.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding

volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Hopping halves in half crown and pennies: http://www.hocuspocusmagic.com/shop-category.php?cat=17

A few other fun things there too.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Thanks Russell and Barry.
I hadn't seen those before.
They're not Sterling silver though, pity. My half crowns are Victorian.
That site looks pretty good though. Plenty of UK gaffed coins.
Would be handy to have a £2 flipper. Wonder if they are gravity flippers. I imagine it would say if they were.
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of wafflesthemagician
I would actually suggest the Victorian English Penny. It's close enough to the same size of an american half dollar, and you can probably pick one up at your local silver/gold dealer for less than a dollar, or for ~$10 for a good quality one. The early Canadian half dollars (If you're lucky enough to get one) are actually just a little smaller than the Victorian English Penny, so those two would work well together. Good luck finding one though, because even if you find one, they're pretty rare & pricey. I'm guessing, if you find one of circulated quality, its melt value would be about $12. But seeing as its Canadian, I'm guessing that you'd probably expect to pay somewhere around at least ~$50 for the old ones, or upwards of ~$200, for a good quality one. Also, you would need two of the bigger coins (English Penny), to get the gaff made. This makes your shopping list look something like: Two English Pennies from the late 1800's with matching patina: ~$20. One Canadian Half Dollar from the late 1800's: ~$50-200. Don't forget getting someone to make the gaff for you: Price will vary, depending on who makes it for you). Note: there is already a version that uses an English Penny, and a Voyageur Dollar called "Rye & Coke", of which Roy Kueppers sells for $49, in case you're too lazy to hunt things down.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27088 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You might like the two gaffed coin tricks in Hoffmann's More Magic in the multiplying money section.
On the punk side you might explore the Laurie Ireland tricks where a handful of coins change.
Steve Dusheck has some solid work along those lines in his lecture DVD.
The much to explore in fiction if you read ETA Hoffman and fritz lieber.
Best of luck in your explorations,
J
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Corey Toews
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Corey Toews
Well, I found a local coin store that has a pair of Canadian 50 cent coins dated 1888 today. One is in fine condition for $500 CAD and the other is Very Good for $1500 CAD.

Sigh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Victorian era coin gaffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL