The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2012 entrée: Christopher Taylor » » Creative Process » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Hey friend,

What inspires you to explore different technologies and mold them into new magic or mental effects? Can you give everyone a peek into your creative process?
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Patrick: Nice of you to drop in. In my first book, INSIDE OUT, I discussed the process I go through in creating an effect (see below). I really do always start with the effect(s) in mind. When it comes to electronics, they only come into play when I feel the are the best way to achieve my desired effect. By best, I mean that a significant theatrical advantage is gained by the technology. On those rare occasions when I think I have come across a new approach or a first in technology that could have applications I have not seen yet (such as Real Ghost, Equinox, Solstice) I give others who's creativity I admire, the opportunity to play with the device and work the other way on finding applications; the Outside-In, approach, so to speak. Those often include Ran Pink, Mozique, Andrew Gerard, Neil Scryer, Tony Criss, Colin Mcleaod and Matt Johnson. Oh yes, and you, Patrick. Smile

From INSIDE OUT:
I began with some concept drawn from nature or metaphysics that I was strongly attracted to. Then, like a magnet invisibly organizing iron filings, the concept acted as a nucleus around which technique, method and devices gathered to produce the form of the effect.

If we apply this perspective to the classic effects of magic, we will find that many of them unconsciously express principles found in nature or archetypal ideas from our imagination. Recognizing the concept at the heart of an effect can add a new depth of understanding and enjoyment to the technical art of magic/mentalism which give form to the concept. It can also increase our appreciation of nature, and the nature our own collective imagination, from which arise all of the concepts which we recognize and declare to be “Magic!”.

Consider that classic of close-up magic, the Matrix Coins. In this effect, coins, which begin spread out on the table, mysteriously gather together under a single card. The effect perfectly illustrates a fundamental natural phenomenon: Every cycle in nature possess a phase in which material is gathered together and concentrated as well as a phase in which material is spread out and dispersed. In the rain cycle for example, water from the ocean disperses, via the sun and wind, all over the world only to fall into streams. Streams gather into rivers, which in turn gather back into the ocean. When we witness an artist like Reed McClintock perform his Matrix effect we see this “coming together and coming apart” as though the coins are indeed moved by some unseen force of nature. Sheer magic.

In mentalism, the organizing/directing principle behind the form of an effect is always very clear. Mentalism invokes the archetypal concepts -- be they imaginary or real -- of telekinesis, precognition, or clairvoyance. And, watch Max Mavin perform his “Tossed Out Tech” and you will recognize the unmistakable shape and form of telepathy. To me, this clarity of organizing concept is the most appealing aspect of this branch of our art.
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my inquiry. I look forward to seeing you at Mindvention!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2012 entrée: Christopher Taylor » » Creative Process » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL