The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Maybe it's a sign, or coincidence, probably the latter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I've been considering going out and seeing if I could get a gig at a restaurant or something, wondering what restaurants arround here would be good and reading about it on here, and then a magician friend of mine comes up to me and offers me a gig thursday at a restaurant he booked, I'll be there from 5-7, it's as if life just came along at the perfect time and decided to drop some experience in my lap, or it could just be a coincidence lol
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! Congrats! Let us know how it works out! Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Congratulations!

Break a leg!

(Better'n me tearing an ACL.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well if a professional offers to let yo cover his gig, that says something.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Sometimes life has a way of doing that. Take it and be thankful.
Life of Magic!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Thanks for the encouragement everybody, I'm not exactly working it myself, the way I understand it's a fairly large place and a large event, lots of tables to be covered, so we're both gonna be working it, but I'm grateful for any experience, and really quite glad that I'm not going into it alone. this guy was/is my mentor, so he knows what I do and I'm glad he thinks I'm good enough to manage this.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He thought enough of you to ask you. That says something.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I only recommend others who I KNOW will be up to the task ( and who won't try to steal my gig ! )
Congratulations for being ready..........
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
So I did the gig and it went great, it was an odd place to perform I think, being that it was like a fast food place, almost like hardees, you order at the counter, take a number, and they bring your food to you, so I quickly stopped worrying about interrupting peoples meals, a lot of the time even if I got to them before the food came it would be delivered before I was done, and most people didn't mind being interrupted, except for the one lady I interrupted mid-sentence without realizing I was until after it was done (yikes).

Anyway, in the 2 hours of performing I only had 2 people say they didn't want to see it, and one person watched the first trick but had to decline more because they had to eat fast to get their kid to some sort of rehersal, anyway I kind of overanticipated how many cards I would go through, and then I made sure I had more than I anticipated I would use, so I braught 3 times the ammount of cards with me I needed, I ended with a signed card to pocket and I expected to burn through 3-4 decks of cards, so I baught 6, and only ended up using 2.

on top of that I tied 7 loops, 5 on a card and one on each wrist, so I could anternate between my card to pocket and haunted deck, I ended up doing the card to pocket most of the time, did they haunted deck a few times but not enough to break even one loop. plus I had my spongeballs and TT loaded with a blue silk incase I ran into kids too young to understand cards but old enough to understand magic, didn't have that happen once haha. so basically I took WAY more stuff with me than I needed but it all worked out pretty good. honestly the weirdest moment was when I realized one of the girls working there was somebody I went to school with and had a not so great past with, but I was in professional mode so phase me it did not, and, being a good sport, I even performed for her when she was taking a break and eating with some friends.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Interesting. Being a fast food place I would imagine the place to be well lit. Would that have been a problem with the loops?
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Well it was kind of midway as far as lighting goes, it wasn't like you would find in a fancy restaurant, but it wasn't as bright as you would expect one of the big chain restaurants to be, plus being dark outside (completely dark by the time the gig was half over) seemed to make quite the difference, artificial light seems to just never be as bad on loops as natural light is. anyway I've naturally taught myself to never look at the loop while I'm using it, and nobody called me out on it so I guess it worked out alright, I was using Legacy thread and that stuff is extremely invisible, expecially for how strong it is.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Oh wow, so apparently it's a pretty good sized chain anyway, I guess if I would have researched the place a little bit beforehand I would have known that, but I didn't even know exactly what the name was until I got there lol. it was at Culver's which some of you may or may not have heard of, I hadn't heard of it until now but according to their website they have restaurants all over missouri, I punched in my zip code and 9 locations popped up
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea culvers is sort of fast food. No problem with that. Good to hear it went well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Great to hear it, Gary!

It's all downhill from here.
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Glad to hear it went well Gary - Congrats!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Haha thanks for the support everybody.

S2000msgician: I certainly hope it's not downhill from here Smile maybe we could find a compromise, how about it can be like accending a mountain, but with the ease of rolling down a hill?
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
We have Culver's here in Michigan and they LOVE Magicians and hire them to perform on a regular basis. What I have been told is they are very easy to work with and they pay fairly decent for a Fast Food/Sit Down type of restaurant. If you have a Culver's near you I would encourage you to check it out and see if the have a Magician, if they do not then approach the GM about a gig.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-11-03 01:10, Gary T. wrote:
S2000msgician: I certainly hope it's not downhill from here Smile maybe we could find a compromise, how about it can be like accending a mountain, but with the ease of rolling down a hill?

You've surmounted the highest peak: you did your first (in this case, restaurant) gig. It just gets easier from here. With every new gig, you'll say to yourself, "I can do this; I've done it before."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Maybe it's a sign, or coincidence, probably the latter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL