The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A dilemma... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I can understand your skepticism, Zombie; but I've dealt with enough ***hats in this business to give the story some credence. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I get asked to do or if I can do it. I've also worked for some bosses that are real sadistic S.O.B.'s who wouldn't think twice to screw with someone hardcore. These same buggers also fail to have the same sense of humor where turnabout is fair play.

I guess the real question here that we've been dancing around is a moral one; do you stick to your guns/morals as an entertainer or do you swallow it and take the cash? Sticky situation for sure... and I can't say I've always taken the moral high ground. But then, I've also stuck to my guns and kept my integrity more than the latter.

Case in point:

Recently, I've discovered my real audience demographic is adults; does that mean that I turn down kid shows? No, but I do wince at them and 'bite the bullet' as it were. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy performing for kids, but too many of those jobs turn into "oh, the magician is here to babysit..." and all the parents vanish faster than the WPR section on the Café after the Squeek Technique brouhahah.

The topic and all the permutations thereof have been done to death here, but overall I'd say the OP's story is within the realm of credibility.

But, like I said, this one has all the potential disaster of a couple of meth addicts playing catch with a bottle of nitroglycerin.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Lol. Excellent points, Ekuth!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah it would be different if the boss was hiring you to do all this stuff to "him". However he is wanting you to do it to a lot of other unsuspecting people who may not be too thrilled to be embarrassed. So the boss is not qualified to judge for them. He is not even going to be there to be held responsible either, and could even deny they he asked you to do it. I agree, don't be a magic prostitute by selling out just for the money. It is better to have morals, ethics, and some self-respect. Do the show you do or pass.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Wow, why would I make up such a story? Of course it's hard for me to get all the details in place in writing. I don't believe the guy who's hiring me is evil or tries to be mean to his employees, it's just his sense of humor. And sure, that type of humor can definitely work if it's all in good spirit and everybody's in on it. I wouldn't hesitate to do those kind of tricks on a few of my best friends, they would know it's all a joke. With people you don't know it's a completely different story and that's what this boss doesn't realize.
Maybe he could pull it off on some of his employees and it would be a success. I'm not taking the risk though.

I'm all for giving the customer what they want but in this case I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go over well. Maybe a few of the guests would laugh and find it funny but then again, if only one person is offended (as I would be if someone pulled out a prostitutes phone number in front of my wife) then, to me, the whole gig would be spoiled.
I hope the boss wants his employees and their spouses to have a good time, building loyalty in the long run, and I just don't think his plan on how to achieve it in this particular manner is a good one. It simply will not go over as well as a "regular" strolling set.

Some people just don't like magic, they might even not like you or your style of magic. That's one thing and most of those people even realize you're just doing your job and at least respect that. That situation becomes a whole different story if you on top of that offend them.

But hey, I'm going in tomorrow with MY plan and if he's disappointed in some way then so be it. I'm pretty sure it would be worse if I do exactly what he asks.

I'm throwing myself out there and time will tell. Maybe I have misjudged him. Maybe I haven't. Either way, I promise to give you the outcome. Smile

Ekuth, exactly. That's the main question here. And as dannydoyle stated at the beginning of the thread, the lesson learned is to find out what is expected asap.
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Or if you want to be really deceiving, and clever tell a few of the spectators to tell the boss that you pulled stripper cards out of their pockets and wallets etc, and tell him how hilarious you were. I am sure they would actually get a kick out of that.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So to be clear your plan is not to do what you have been paid to do. If the guy paying you (Of all things your sister in laws boss.) is not happy that is just hard cheese.

I just wanted you to see it written out is all. I am not being critical.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe it could have been handled very easily. Most magicians do not do everything in magic. You did not say if you were an expert Pick Pocket, but I know if I was told to do things that I don't do, then you simply tell them, I don't do Pick Pocket effects. If they tell me they want to me to insult people, then simply say, I don't insult people intentionally.

On the other side, he may have been trying to not hire you, he may have only agreed to see you because of your Sister-in-law suggestion. So, if you turn down the gig, he looks like he tried.

Who knows why people do what they do.
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Quote:
On 2012-10-31 09:03, Dannydoyle wrote:
So to be clear your plan is not to do what you have been paid to do. If the guy paying you (Of all things your sister in laws boss.) is not happy that is just hard cheese.

I just wanted you to see it written out is all. I am not being critical.

Not quite. I plan to do effects leaning towards "messing with people" but not going as far as the boss suggested. 3CM, gambling styled Chop Cup, Card to mouth etc. As well as the regular effects of course.

Quote:
On 2012-10-31 09:12, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I believe it could have been handled very easily. Most magicians do not do everything in magic. You did not say if you were an expert Pick Pocket, but I know if I was told to do things that I don't do, then you simply tell them, I don't do Pick Pocket effects. If they tell me they want to me to insult people, then simply say, I don't insult people intentionally.

On the other side, he may have been trying to not hire you, he may have only agreed to see you because of your Sister-in-law suggestion. So, if you turn down the gig, he looks like he tried.

Who knows why people do what they do.

I told him I don't do pickpocket effects in strolling situations (in fact, I don't do them at all) and I also told him why it would be inappropriate even if I did do them.
I don't think he was trying to save face or anything like that, he was very eager to close the deal.

Anyway, I appreciate all your advice and it's interesting to see how differently people would have dealt with the situation. Either way I'm pretty sure the guests won't be disappointed and if the boss is... well, let's just say I wouldn't want to work for him again anyway if that happens.
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Not only that but the boss is not even going to be there so how is going to know what you did anyway? Even if you did not have someone tell him you did the stuff he asked, if the people are happy how could he complain? Makes no sense. He wants you to make people look foolish, and if you did it makes you look even more foolish and a sell out. Stick to your guns. If he does not like it refund him and never work for that "clown" again.
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Quote:
On 2012-10-31 11:51, sirbrad wrote:
Not only that but the boss is not even going to be there so how is going to know what you did anyway? Even if you did not have someone tell him you did the stuff he asked, if the people are happy how could he complain? Makes no sense. He wants you to make people look foolish, and if you did it makes you look even more foolish and a sell out. Stick to your guns. If he does not like it refund him and never work for that "clown" again.

Thanks Sirbrad, exactly what I intend to do. Except the refund (unless he asks for it) Smile
www.jensmagi.se
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Ok, just got back from the gig. It went very well! I stuck to my plan and it was actually one of my best gigs ever despite a couple of "troublemakers". I believe those guys alone might have been the reason the boss wanted me to "mess with them". Smile

Zombie Magic will probably not believe me but when I talked to the VP before I left he hired me for another gig next Thursday!

Three hours of walk around.... my feet hurts but I'm very happy! Smile
www.jensmagi.se
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You did the gig, kept your ethics in tact, and secured another gig.

Could it have gone better?

CONGRATS.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Thanks Danny Smile
www.jensmagi.se
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Spectacular! Kudos!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Well done!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Awesome! I love happy endings...
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I am sure there is a joke somewhere in my previous post.... but I am not going there.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Congratulations on the success!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Andy... you're sick. Sick, sick, sick.

But you're my kind of sick. Keep it up.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Quote:
On 2012-11-02 00:03, Ekuth wrote:
Andy... you're sick. Sick, sick, sick.

But you're my kind of sick. Keep it up.

what he said.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A dilemma... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL