The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » David Strassman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
Does anyone on here follow David Strassman? I don't see a lot of discussion on him, but this guy has been a huge success overseas for many, many years. He is hilarious, has great technique, and I have always found his act to be extremely innovative and more than anything else, "entertaining". He is "adults only" for sure, but that is ok by me. I'm an adult......sometimes.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I'm a Strassman fan. I don't think people discuss him much because he seems to shy away from the vent community. I know they've tried to get him to conVENTion and I'm told he has never responded.

He deserves the success!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
He was a regular on television here in Australia during the late 80's and 90's most particularly a show called Hey Hey It's Saturday. He was a big favourite to Aussie viewers probably because he was one of the few overseas guests who actually understood our sense of humour. He often quipped how he is more well known here than in his home town. Wood Chuck was his main character back then (a kind of parody on Chucky I suppose) and he was kind of aggressive and mean spirited, then came Teddy E Bear which the girls really loved. I know he performs and is an international success now but I haven't seen much of him for years.
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
darrenc1
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of darrenc1
He still tours Australia, New Zealand, and the UK regularly but due to lack of TV opportunities his audience and venue sizes have gotten smaller. I saw him a year or so ago and actually left at interval as the show just wasn't funny. It seemed to be more of a "play" than a comedy show. In past interviews he has put down the convention and "cruise ship" vents ( I guess he means vents that tell jokes and get laughs!) and sees himself as more of an "artist" than a traditional type ventriloquist. He has four dvd's available which are basically recordings of his live shows over the past 10 years. They are readily available in Australia but I don't know about the rest of the world.
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Strassman has certainly made me laugh via some of his video clips, particulary those of his interviews. I bought a few of his DVDs, but I didn't really enjoy those shows at all. As was mentioned, Chuck is really mean-spirted, which I just didn't connect with. That's interesting because I do find Otto and George funny.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
His show is one of the very few with high production value. One of my favorite ventriloquists. Unfortunately, he is coarse in his show so the kids shouldn't be watching.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I need to get his DVD's. The clips I've seen are very innovative and funny.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2012-11-01 00:45, Mr. Pitts wrote:
I need to get his DVD's. The clips I've seen are very innovative and funny.

Watch the DVD without the kids, bro. It's rated "M". Smile
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I have his DVD...I'm a big fan Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Tom alluded to this earlier..we did reach out to David to come to the ConVENTion (I even had an Australian friend of mine contact him personally..) and he said he was interested but never responded when we tried contacting him. At least we tried...

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2012-11-01 07:13, kidshowvent wrote:
Tom alluded to this earlier..we did reach out to David to come to the ConVENTion (I even had an Australian friend of mine contact him personally..) and he said he was interested but never responded when we tried contacting him. At least we tried...

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com

Hi Mark, try again for 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016... Smile
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I am a huge fan of Davids!
One of the best 'famous' vents for sure!
I love chuck woods mean spirited personality.. It reminds me of a Canadian Icon named 'Ed the Sock'..
A really mean sock puppet that has graced the indie air waves up here for quite a while..
Back to David.. I remember an interview where he said he did a big
Animatronics underwater fish puppet piece in his show and his agent got mad at him because it wasn't funny.. And it wasn't ventriloquism.
It seems like he broke some ground with animatronics.. (puppetronics?) but he also knows that its the simplicity of the puppet but STRENGTH of the material that makes his act so brilliant.
The Teddy bear is awesome..
I would definitely love to see him live!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have seen him live, and the show had a definite structure - though it was hardly a play. I loved every minute. Huge fan.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I, too, am a big Strassman fan. He tries to push the boundaries. His shows do have a structure, a plot, if you will. Not all of his efforts are successful, but then whose are?

I love the fact that Chuck is nasty, not cheeky. Who says vent characters have to be cute?

Bob
CatLady
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CatLady
He's actually touring Aus at the moment, I have tickets to see him this week. Can't wait!
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Another Strassman fan checking in here. Have two of his DVDs and really love the conceptual journeys he takes. A theatrical approach to vent performance that is not traditional for sure. Innovative, imaginative and very funny.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:
On 2012-11-04 20:59, CatLady wrote:
He's actually touring Aus at the moment, I have tickets to see him this week. Can't wait!

Please report back on the show.

Bob
Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
When I watch David perform, I find myself watching Chuck (and his other characters) as if he were truly alive. Not many vents pull that off.
TheDummyDoctor
View Profile
New user
U S A
76 Posts

Profile of TheDummyDoctor
Another big fan here. David was a fairly frequent visitor to my studio back in the '80s when he was living and working in New York.
He approach is quite unique and very edgy. I'm glad to see he found a great niche and a loyal audience down under, but he certainly deserves more recognition here in the USA.
-------

Alan Semok, Ph.D (honoris causa)

THE DUMMY DOCTOR

Building Pro Vent Figures since 1966

web: www.AlanSemok.com/dummies
Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
Alan, speaking of bringing a figure to life - your manipulation of Eugene may very well be unsurpassed in my humble opinion!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » David Strassman (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL