The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What Crazy Man's Handcuffs looks like. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

Thanks for the kind words- that means a lot!!!

Weird story:

I actually had to upload that video because I wanted to try and make a viral video- and it worked! Crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHgmIXF6k......ure=plcp

Well, with so many non-magicians watching it, I needed to upload something (other than a Magic Friday) that proved I was a magician- just in case some producer saw it. I was in a super rush because the views on the Time Travel video were going up in the thousands every half-hour! So that's why I said, "completely disappears" twice and am a bit fiddly- I was just rushed. Boooo.

It's also why I hide the "tricky stuff"- same as my Magic Friday reviews, actually- I don't want a non-magician to be able to figure it out on a first glance. And, to be fair, it's like real-life. I only do the "tricky stuff" when a spectator makes eye-contact with me. I've waited minutes, stuck after that first phase, until I can be sure the entire group's eyes are on mine, lol.

Now, that said, would anyone be interested in a super quick DVD on the routine? I've been thinking about it for years but I wasn't sure who to credit so I never went ahead. And, like I mentioned, there's absolutely nothing revolutionary or new. Meh. Maybe I just answered my own question, lol.

Anyways- thanks for watching! I hope it helps some of you!

Your pal,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I think what is known as CMH ( because of Michael Ammar ) was cerated by Arthur Setterington.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Quote:
On 2012-11-03 00:44, Jamie D. Grant wrote:

It's also why I hide the "tricky stuff"- same as my Magic Friday reviews, actually- I don't want a non-magician to be able to figure it out on a first glance. And, to be fair, it's like real-life. I only do the "tricky stuff" when a spectator makes eye-contact with me. I've waited minutes, stuck after that first phase, until I can be sure the entire group's eyes are on mine, lol.

In Jamie's defense, this moment he's referring to between (his) first and second phase CANNOT be shown on vid, nor in person without being revealed. I also time this move at exactly the same point; when the spectator's eyes are on ME and focused AWAY from the 'bands'. This phase relies entirely on misdirection and very quick finger movements... and NEVER fails to kill.

One small subtlety that I use is to trap the 'second band' under my index finger- clearly showing one band 'trapped' under the other. It's a great convincer, and the slower you go, the better the melt effect looks.

I would pay a pretty penny to learn phase three, Jamie... or perhaps the Good Dr. J could tip me further via PM? I'm catching the reference, but for the life of me can't remember the source material.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Indeed, Ekuth. PM sent.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Your right Jamie, never thought about non-magician's watching this. Good Job. (as usual)
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Nice routine Jamie. Well done.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Danka Schoen, Dr. J!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Very nice CMH routine!. I'm doing the phase 1 and 2 as well (actually 3 with spectator holding the band for part 2 of phase 1). Is the 3rd one being taught by Dan Harlan?
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-11-03 23:44, setsuna83 wrote:
Is the 3rd one taught by Dan Harlan?

Yes it is, but not the particular variation of the vanish as demonstrated by Jamie, although the get-ready is the same. Harlan teaches an up-the-nose effect.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Dear Jamie,

I would certainly be interested to learn the vanishes (either as a download or as lecture notes).

Best wishes,

Danny
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Actually I think I have worked out a method of doing it....but thank you for showing the video - it wouldn't have occurred to me to try this (normally I finish with the elastic band penetrating my thumb).

Danny
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Currently my CMH goes my hands, their hands, band through thumb. I am thinking of adding Jamie's two vanishes (well his first one and my version of his second which may or may not be the same as his) but am wondering how people deal misdirect to give space for the get ready. Any help much appreciated,

Danny
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2012-11-10 23:53, djurmann wrote:
Currently my CMH goes my hands, their hands, band through thumb. I am thinking of adding Jamie's two vanishes (well his first one and my version of his second which may or may not be the same as his) but am wondering how people deal misdirect to give space for the get ready. Any help much appreciated,

Danny

If you give the impression that the trick is over, your audience is not looking at the bands anymore. Engage them with your eyes. Lower your hands a bit and relax. Talk to them for a few seconds. The set-up takes only about a couple of seconds.

I do that three phase bit at every close-up performance (my last vanish is different). I believe I have been caught once in the first set-up and it was by a child. Kids have sharp eyes.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-11-11 07:59, slyhand wrote:
Kids have sharp eyes.

And they're a lot harder to distract from their objet de curiosité.
steveoblair
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steveoblair
Really nice I like it.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Love the routine. Also, love that Time Traveler. Are you going to make a movie out of it?
ScottieKrause
View Profile
New user
Houston
51 Posts

Profile of ScottieKrause
Amazing stuff as always Jamie I was very impressed with the ending and has me rethinking my own routine.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Marcus Eddie taught, on Penguin Magic Live, what would appear to be Jamie's third phase/vanish, but he made the effect look different than just a vanish
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Hi Thanks for that clip Jamie, where can I buy the info. which is the best source for rubber band close up routines. message me please,
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
All those moves are on Harlan's Magic with Rubberbands L+L DVD set if you want sources guys.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What Crazy Man's Handcuffs looks like. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL