The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New to Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Hey everyone! I'm not new to magic (started with Top Hat Magic in 1965) but I am new to mentalism...

I have to do a radio bit on a national radio show soon and we're going to talk about debunking "psychics" and discussing the technique of cold reading. I actually have a pro magician who will do a cold reading without claiming psychic powers, but I'd like to do a VERY STRONG mentalism trick for the hosts just to show how magicians can do amazing things that appear to require "extrasensory powers".

I can do spoon bending (I do liquid metal 2.0 right now) but I'd like to do something a bit more verbal for the radio and wondered if the Magic Café crowd could point me in the right direction.

I have looked at Outlaw book tests and a ton of stuff at Penguin, but finding that one trick that will 1) blow their minds and 2) I'm unlikely to screw up when I'm nervous on the air and 3) is angle free (people will be in front and behind me) will cost me a lot if I do trial and error.

I have Psypher and plan on using it if I can figure out a way to peek without anyone seeing me.

Any ideas? I'll give you credit on the air, too! Smile

your friend,

Lobsta

PS: if you think this would be better posted in the Mentalism Section, please let me know! Smile
--
<BR>credo che tutti gli uomini siano fratelli
Kozzi
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kozzi
You can send them an envelope weeks in advance to be opened whilst you're on air. Inside is a slip of paper with the day's newspaper headline.

It'd be angle proof if you use a b****t k***e. Corinda's 13 steps will set you in the right direction if that is tempting - an oldie but a goodie.
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Thanks! Just ordered Corinda from Penguin Magic...why didn't I have this book already? Smile

Playing with Psypher tonight...wow, that is one strong device.

your friend,

Lobsta
--
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Ha, knowing those clowns they would switch envelopes on me (pranksters they be) but I love the idea.

There used to be a deck that was sold as a prediction effect. You sent in the envelope before you arrived, then they picked a card and the prediction matched the envelope. I can think of a thousand ways to do this, but this was apparently something special (you'd fan the deck, I think, and they'd pull the card out themselves; some kind of automatic force). I've wracked my brain trying to think of the name of that trick!
--
Kozzi
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kozzi
Depending on how well you know the folks at the radio station (if they would switch an envelope on you it sounds like they know you well) you can go the safe deposit box option. Bring it in a week before and lock the envelope in the box.

Then it seems all the more impressive coming out of a locked box.
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
I love that idea! They're in NYC and I'm in another state so I could actually send a small lockbox with an envelope in it. Thanks and I'll let y'all know how it goes!
--
Kozzi
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kozzi
Please do!
slyrich
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of slyrich
Great plan...let us know how it goes!
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Ugh, I did Psypher for my wife (who is the WORST person a magician can do magic for...can't stand to be "fooled" and suspects everything. Also is pretty smart and can divine the secret of many effects just by ruling out the impossible) and she totally busted me. I'm going to use her as my barometer; if something fools/impresses her, then I know I'm good for airtime.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I'll keep you in the loop.
--
SheldonR
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of SheldonR
I like the envelope in a lockbox headline trick too. It sounds like your wife is actually a really valuable resource for testing magic tricks. Good luck!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
If you can still find it, Devin Knight's Glass Box Prediction will give you some ideas. You won't be able to use it "as is" in this type radio interview, but there are several subtleties that will make everything else seem more impossible. If you could travel to the station ahead of time (don't know how far you are from NYC), having the station manager sign the prediction ahead of time and getting it notarized makes it seem even more impossible. Then put it in a locked, taped box and you have a genuine miracle.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
I'm checking it out now! Thanks, DW!
--
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Quote:
On 2012-11-05 10:36, SheldonR wrote:
I like the envelope in a lockbox headline trick too. It sounds like your wife is actually a really valuable resource for testing magic tricks. Good luck!

ha ha you are very diplomatic, my friend. Smile

but it's true; if she goes "holy @#$%!" it'll fool my radio host friends. Smile
--
crummens
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of crummens
Corindas is the classic of mentalism also check out banachek
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Quote:
On 2012-11-05 15:07, DWRackley wrote:
If you can still find it, Devin Knight's Glass Box Prediction will give you some ideas. You won't be able to use it "as is" in this type radio interview, but there are several subtleties that will make everything else seem more impossible. If you could travel to the station ahead of time (don't know how far you are from NYC), having the station manager sign the prediction ahead of time and getting it notarized makes it seem even more impossible. Then put it in a locked, taped box and you have a genuine miracle.

I did buy this, and the manuscript is well worth the money (Elmwood has it). I don't see a reason why I can't just send them the box already sealed a couple of weeks before I go, and do the effect in the studio. It seems foolproof if I don't get too clumsy, if you know what I mean.

Any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated! Or feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Lobsta
--
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
It is a great manuscript. I personally like the added bonus of having the prediction signed ahead of time, but it’s definitely a “stunner” even without that. To my thinking, the helper is the weak link, and Devin works this out beautifully (I’ve used this idea in a couple different ways.) Don’t know exactly how you’ll select your helper, but if you can work something out, it will be mind-blowing.

Best of luck in your appearance!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Well, in the MS I received, there were two routines, one with a helper, and one without. If I can pull off a B****t Sw***h in front of these clowns, I should be able to pull it off solo. Just read Corinda's chapter on billets and going to reread it tonight. The paper in question is so off the audience's radar at that point that it *should* be a piece of cake. Smile
--
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New to Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL