The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Predator Wallet Real Review (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-11-05 14:38, jerdunn wrote:
Quote:
John Clarkson wrote:
If there are glitches, we could discuss solutions rather than impugn Mr. Wilson's reputation by making implications that his advertisements are misleading.

I'm with you again. It makes sense to focus on solutions, rather than impugn Paul Wilson. I like him and his magic and don't think he should be pilloried over trifles.

On the other hand, if a product has weaknesses, even small ones, I'd encourage the maker (Paul) to fix them.
So would I, Jerry. In fact, with most props I have bought, after working with them and thinking about them, I have sent the originator (when possible) a note outlining my ideas for improvement. I even send memos about typographical errors! (Yes, a tad obsessive, I know...) Some have merit; some are based in ignorance of the manufacturing process. Most producers have appreciated my comments, a few have not. In fact, I already have some suggestions for Paul Wilson's Predator, but I want to "sleep on them" to make sure, after using The Predator, that my suggestions have merit. But honestly, Jerry, I am quite convinced that I will not air those ideas in the Magic Café lest they be seized upon as some condemnation of the product or of Mr. Wilson and start an avalanche of negativity and sniping. I'll communicate them directly to Mr. Wilson.

Quote:
Of course, different fixes work for different people. For example, the credit card slots: John Clarkson was able to push in his credit cards and loosen up the slots. I wasn't. His fix worked for him, but not for me.
A heads up about pushing the credit cards into the slots: I couldn't get them in, either, when I tried to push them in straight on. Here's the trick (working with the slots on the left side of the wallet): first put the lower left corner in slightly, and then work the outer left corner in (the rounded corner of the credit card makes this easier). What you are doing is pulling down a little, toward the lower left corner and sort of pivoting the card counter-clockwise on that corner with the card parallel to the plane of the open wallet until the rounded outer left corner clears. Then straighten and push. This was only necessary the first two times I put in the cards. Now I can push them in straight, without much resistance. The process for the right-hand slots is a mirror image of this.

Quote:
At this point it would be great to hear from Predator users about the impact of their performances, handling or presentation ideas, and other things that involve the wallet in use. John, it sounds like you'll be among the first on the front lines -- so please send back a dispatch.

Cheers,
Jerry
Will do. I plan to tape myself this evening, and review before presenting on Friday.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
My thoughts would be that if this was a tried and fully tested product why these whist small and niggily problems are occuring?

you would think that the wallets could have all been modeled on the original tried and tested wallet.
Phillip
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
I have now used the Predator Wallet in a commercial walkaround situation. Before anyone asks I have a black eelskin version which looks quite nice.

The credit cards fitted with a squeeze - which is better than having them too loose so that they fall out during the performance.

I used it for its original purpose - the Psycho Killer routine. As to the working it worked very well and I found it very easy to use without fumbling. I am in the UK and the use of dollar bills was not questioned. None of the problems mentioned in this (and other threads) occurred (flaring etc).

I used Paul's presentation (might as well use one that has been field-tested before experimenting) and it went over very well with gasps of amazement and comments of "incredible". The routine does need some audience management as it relies on the spectator giving you information about their card before the revelation. If you have not had the necessary experience comments of the type of "No, you tell me the value" etc may worry you so be prepared for this (the finale is worth it). A friendly non-challenging presentation should get you over this problem with a comment such as "you'll see in a minute why it does not matter if you tell me the value" etc.

I enjoyed doing the routine as I had practiced the secret move many times beforehand so had no trouble working it.

The effect on the spectators was good but some of my other effects had equal, if not better, reactions. I am sure that as I perform the effect more and tweak my presentation I will get better reactions. As has already been stated the wallet will lend itself to many more applications, particularly in the mental field of which I am fond, so I think the purchase has been a good one. If you just want to show the trick to friends and family I would consider carefully if you should buy this for two reasons. Firstly, people you know are less likely to co-operate with you on revealing their card before you do and secondly there are a plenty of other "tricks" around in books, magazines etc which could give you an equally good reaction if this is the only trick you intend to use the wallet for.

Finally, for walkaround the Psycho Killer if good provided you can afford 30 seconds of resetting in a private place. However, I did not do the effect to every table so I found the necessary time.

Final verdict. Ignore the negative comments. This is an excellent purchase for the professional or semi-professional magician who will find plenty of use for this wallet.

Martin
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Excellent review, Martin. That was very helpful!

Ron
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Martin,

Thank you! I performed with The Predator for the first time publicly yesterday. I did Psycho Killer four times, but have not done the other effects.

I can only echo Martin's comments. The reaction was spectacular. I did have one person say, when asked about the value of his card, "No, you are supposed to tell me the value." I handled it with, "Yes, I am supposed to be able to do that, but, as you can see, I've not been very good at it. Besides, unless you tell me, we won't know if I owe you another dollar!" Said with a smile and a shrug, this statement satisfied the fellow who coöperated fully from that point.

I also found flaring not to be an issue. And, Martin, I never thought about the snugness of the credit card slots as being an asset. You are right. It prevents the cards from accidentally falling out when you invert the wallet to remove the IOU.

I have only one other comment. Mr. Wilson points it out in the directions, but it bears repeating: make sure you have rehearsed a lot so that you can grab the proper bills without thinking. During my first presentation, I felt I fumbled a bit. I am sure, based on the great audience reaction to the finale, that I noticed my hesitation more than my spectators, but it troubled me nonetheless.

I'd like to hear still more reviews by people who have used The Predator.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Thanks, Martin and John!

Jerry
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mike Close reviews the Wallet in the December MAGIC issue. Mike's critical, but fair. I'm sure he'll endorse it as he likes killer, gasp making magic!!

Hocus-pocus has the Wallet for sale now. I thought it was going to be exclusively through Paul and limited in quantity.

They ahve a picture of a "black Wallet" on the site. Make sure if you order through them you ask if they have a color choice. Although, I doubt Paul will be making it in brown any more.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

Hocus Pocus now has the exclusive on this product. The wallet will only be made in black.

Paul came to the store last week and demonstrated the wallet for us. He fooled everyone badly! I have no idea how the wallet works yet, but I'm going to be investing in one.

We would like to thank R.Paul Wilson for allowing us the exclusive on this product.
Jason London

This space for rent
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of wcb39
Preditor got a rave review in December Genii. I am ordering one!

PS In black! (;-)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Glad to hear it's getting rave reviews ( like all of Paul's products ). Paul is a creative genius, for sure!!!

sokarnl
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of sokarnl
The Predator is only available from RPAULWILSON.COM and is manufactured in strictly limited quantities.

this is a part of the advertisement on paul his site.
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Quote:
On 2003-11-18 13:59, sokarnl wrote:
The Predator is only available from RPAULWILSON.COM and is manufactured in strictly limited quantities.

Greetings,

To clarify this issue...

As my post above stated, we are now the exclusive DEALER for the Predator Wallet.

R.Paul Wilson has given Hocus Pocus Maqic the rights to sell this product. This means you'll only be able to purchase the wallet from us at Hocus Pocus or R.Paul Wilson directly.

If you have any further questions contact me at 1 800 407 4040. Or, you can contact R.Paul Wilson.
Jason London

This space for rent
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
What's a great new, The Killer Wallet is available from my killer shop.
I just hope that the colour will also be possible to choose with Hocus-Pocus. It's funny most of the people seem to prefer the black colour but me I found the brown one much more georgeous.
It will definatly be one of my next buy.
JoJo41
View Profile
New user
Honolulu, HI
46 Posts

Profile of JoJo41
There was quite a bit of back-and-forth about color. My first response was if you want a wallet that will guarantee your instant stardom AND look gorgeous, you should consider BARRY PRICE'S wallet. REALLY nice.

BUT, as has been noted, many of us are disinclined to use a breast pocket wallet, no matter how nice, not to mention this is a different effect.

I have no plans to use Paul's wallet, (which is a hip pocket wallet) but I have had the privilege of seeing him do it right up close and it is just the coolest thing since sliced bread!

I just remember heading back home thinking, "THAT was REALLY a great trick!"

Actually, I know how he does it: he has a collaborator in the trunk of his car. That's why the wallet is worth so much, because you get a beautiful young female collaborator and a mini walkie-talkie as part of the deal.

And a comprehensive health plan.

OK. I lied.

But, doggone it, that wallet FOOLED me and THEN some!
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Looks like everybody who has a brown Predator now has a collector's item.
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Have the problems been solved with the wallet ( credit card slots, etc. ).

Does everyone feel it's worth $250?

Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
I just received my predator from Hocus-pocus. I guess this is the second batch of wallet made. It is still in snake stuff (I would have prefer it to be in leather, but well), the quality is good and I had no problem at all with the credit card slot Smile, this problem have be fixed it seem.
I will have to play a little with it before giving my opinion on it. I knew the principle of this wallet but I thought it would have been made differently.

For the question does it worth 250$, I guess so for the work given to manufacture this item and for the working of the routine and ideas, but I think many magician will find that 250$ could be spend in a better way on other magic stuff, that's depend the magic you do and you love.
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of afknight
I've emailed Paul several times since mid-November about exchanging my brown wallet for a black one. Hocus Pocus won't handle the exchange since I didn't buy it from them which is understandable. What's not understandable is Paul's lack of response. I've been using the same email address that he responded to when he explained the delay in the original shipping date. If anyone has any contact information I'd certainly appreciate it.

Alton Knight

p.s. btw, the wallet is excellent and the routine has been a killer for me.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Alton:

I believe Paul's original offer was extended to those who had not used the wallet, such that the wallet could be resold as new.

This would not be the case with the wallet which "has been a killer" for you.

Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of afknight
Thanks Steve

I've just heard from Paul via email.

Let me clarify my "killer" reference: The routine passed my wife's skeptical ("I hate magic") eye. That's the gold standard I use in defining the strength of an effect. Unfortunately, I haven't done anything with the Predator other than set up the bills and put some credit cards in the slots. I don't carry it because of the color and also due to the fact that I've recently moved to Ohio from Pennsylvania and I haven't been performing since all of my magic is still in boxes. I've explained this to Paul.

Thanks again.

Alton
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Predator Wallet Real Review (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL