The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Kadar is here! (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
So I received a well wrapped parcel today. It was with great excitement that I opened it up to examine the contents. I have been involved in the playtesting of Kadar for a good while, so have had a set of cards I'd made up myself from the files, but they don't compare with getting the real deal in your hands. This is an excellent reading system which I've had a lot of mileage out of. The set will fascinate people you show it too and act as a draw

So the kit contains an aged box with the look of an old fashioned game. Inside the lid is a nice little explanation of the cards acting as a quick reference to the Kadar cards. The set contains the 5 Kadar cards: the Professor, the Siren, the Gypsy Queen, Mr Mercury and Mysterion. The little book of fate, the casting board, pendulum and dice. Also included are a set of raffle tickets to use as hand outs.

The Kadar little book of fate gives an explanation of the reading system. You could manage perfectly good indepth readings of this book alone. Its gives a procedure for using the cards for readings and the meanings of each card. You will also be sent a PDF giving more detail on how to use the cards. The cards are based on solid Jungian archetypes alongside the four elements. They can be used to give a solid personality reading and provide an insight into issues into the sitters life. The final stage of the process allows you to encourage the sitter towards self-improvement.

The 5 kadar's are lovely wood mounted cards. The images of the different characters are full of imagery. The symbolism in the cards is obvious while still having further depth to explore. The sitters will be able to understand much of the symbolism of the cards by themselves.

The raffle tickets are a lovely souvenir for sitters. It leaves them with a record of the reading. They look the part and can be used alongside other traditional mentalism techniques if you want to add something extra to the reading.

The pendulum is included for the spectator to select a card. There are several methods for the sitter selecting their card. The pendulum is my proffered method. I'm probably going to substitute the pendulum from the set for another one as its a bit modern looking. The casting board gives you an alternative way of presenting a reading.

Along with the set you gain access to the Kadar club which will allow you to purchase further add ons to the system. There are lots of exciting add ons planned for Kadar. The Kadar dice of fate, pitch books, king sized cards. Its an exciting set up to be part of. I'm looking forward to seeing the new directions Chris takes these.

In terms of the system in action I've been using the trial cards for several months now. I've used them in the pub, at fairs and for psychic evenings. They provided great fun readings. There suitable for almost all occasions and can be used in ways maybe other traditional systems such as Tarot wouldn't be accepted. The look of the cards and the fun feel of the cards makes them appealing and acceptable to people who would make shun Tarot. I've used them on strangers to give them a taste of the sort of entertainment I do and I've received bookings off the strength of the readings. While these cards may seem like a big initial price they are earners. What more can you ask for. I can't wait to get out and use the full set. Beautiful work from Chris.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I concur - beautiful, beautiful work. Since this arrived at lunchtime, my heart has been full of joy. I've laughed, I've cried, and I've danced around the kitchen naked - which quite upset the children. I'm a very happy bunny. Thanks Chris. Smile
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini

Surrounded by a few 'friends'.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
This looks amazing! I am sure I will not be able to purchase from the first run, so I sure hope they make more when I can afford to purchase!

-Max
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
A few more photos to wet appetites

piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
Drooling, hope mine arrives by next week!
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
So does anyone have a performance review of this? I am waiting for the mad rush for this to end so that Chris has a change to un cramp his hands. I am really interested on this one as it seems to be really unique as a performance item.
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
They are totally suitable for real life. I wrote up a number of detailed reports on my first trials for Chris during play testing and will see about digging some of it out. The first outing was in a run of bars in Hull, my home town, a fairly rough UK city. I started on friends then did strangers over the night and they went down very well. I got a booking that night off the strength of the Kadar readings and that was before I'd even read the manual properly. I've since used them for psychic parties and at a fair event. They have worked superbly each time giving good, insightful personality readings. Like most good reading systems it works best when the sitter is more involved, the more they talk the better. In some case the sitter has delivered most of the reading themselves as the symbolism on the cards is evident. They are earning me good money and offering a nice alternative to my tarot. I've also seen Paul Voodini using them for parlour work which played out well. An awful lot of thought has gone into these and it is a fully functioning system.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I love these. As Joshua has pointed out, I use the cards in the wild with real people. Haven't yet used the 'full' system, but that's only a matter of time. The cards are so good that I no longer carry tarot. I use Kadar.
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

WOW! ok that says a lot for these.

in skill rating for ease of use what would you rate it?
how much memorization is there?
would you say there is a restriction on where they play or do you think the will be well received in most environments?
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
Quote:
On 2012-11-10 18:58, Michael_MacDonald wrote:

would you say there is a restriction on where they play or do you think the will be well received in most environments?

I have not received my set yet (it's on its way), but I had already read the pdf manual that Chris sent.

After reading through it, I would say there's almost no memorization needed, and the system is easy to learn. For starters, all the memorization required is in the little book of fate which you can simply read off the content to the spectator. Of course, experienced readers will want to go deeper into the system and I believed that will be very well covered in the Kadar Club. (I haven't got my set, so I don't access yet) If you have played with Zoltar card before, I doubt there's any difficulty with this.

I do not think there's any restriction on where to use this. I do not know the best way to describe it, but it's something like a fortune telling cabinet found in arcades, shopping malls, carnivals. I think it works very very well even in simple social gatherings.

Now, of course, I must stress that I have yet to receive my set and tried it out. But after reading the manual, I am very confident that I will use this a lot. I'm even thinking of ways I can in-cooperate this to some of my counselling work.

Now.. the wait continues.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1934 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Michael: the underlying logic is highly intuitive and playfully flexible...you can use the whole kit or just the cards...people are drawn to them and intrigued by them, while the connection between their choice and the reading they receive is wonderful to behold.

Plus everything just looks so cool!
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On 2012-11-10 18:58, Michael_MacDonald wrote:

Practically no memorisation is required. The cards have the information on. The symbolism on the cards is easy to read. Granted I have read Tarot for a good number of years so much of that is second nature now. But I reckon even a beginner to readings would be able to understand much of the meanings of the cards. I've asked sitters what the cards meant to them after they choose them and they've all picked up on the basic themes themselves. You do have the book included in the set that you can refer to during a reading if you needed to. When I first used the cards I took them out the first night without having properly memorised the system and meanings and I was booked for an event. There that simple. A beginner to readings will have a clear structure with these to deliver solid readings.

In terms of where they play I've used them in the pub, busy bars, peoples homes, one walkaround session and to table readings at a fair. Obviously your not going to carry the whole box for walkaround, but they've worked well in each environment.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

When I look at the pic I notice a whole lot of items in the box.
can any of you please tell me what else you get and a rough outline of what you can get with this as a whole set?
from looking at the pic it seems your getting a huge reading system not just cards. from what I am seeing you can break this down into different reading systems? if this is the case then the ROI (return on investment) is huge!
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Just received mine stateside. Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but you get:
-The four cards, plus a fifth one (and I really, really hope the AM guys expand on this). Actually, they're a bit too thick to be cards. Maybe ceramic "plates" would be a better description, and I'm not sure if they're even ceramic. They definitely feel like they will last a long time.
-The book of fate. Would love to see a PDF made available as a pitch book, as has been recently suggested in the AM blog.
-The addtional in-depth PDF user's manual/guide courtesy of Mr. Gould.
-The 3 vintage-looking wooden dice.
-A very nice pendulum. Granted, you can always make one or use your favorite.
-A small bag for the dice and pendulum.
-A book of carnival-esque looking tickets, which make nice handouts.
-A mini casting board, that does an excellent job invoking a vintage style board game. I'll let Chris elaborate here, but basically this adds some steps to further embellish the reading, with some variants provided.

I think this is an excellent place to start if you've never done readings. I do them quite a bit, and this of presentation is something I hadn't considered previously. I'm really looking forward to seeing this expanded on the AM forums/blog, even if not officially.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Are the tickets tic sheets? or can I set up a tic sheet for this?

ok so I see at least 3 different reading systems here!
if the pitch book is made then you can sell it off and make the price for the set back in very short order!
I guess I need to save up for this and then I can see how I personally can expand it.

that is the main thing I am looking for in props now is the versatility. the ability to expand it for long term engagements. the ability to free flow the presentation getting more in depth or making is lighter as the need arises.

from what I'm seeing this could also be expanded so much further!
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Quote:
On 2012-11-11 16:19, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
Are the tickets tic sheets? or can I set up a tic sheet for this?

ok so I see at least 3 different reading systems here!
if the pitch book is made then you can sell it off and make the price for the set back in very short order!
I guess I need to save up for this and then I can see how I personally can expand it.

that is the main thing I am looking for in props now is the versatility. the ability to expand it for long term engagements. the ability to free flow the presentation getting more in depth or making is lighter as the need arises.

from what I'm seeing this could also be expanded so much further!

I would say they qualify as tick sheets, at least from my experience, and you can use the other (blank side) for notes.
I would also say:
1) there's quite a bit of versatility here, and there really are no hard and fast rules, for the most part.
2) I haven't tried to expand on it, but it's clearly hinted at in the user's guide.
3) The presentation can be pretty open-ended. I think this is set up to be more on the lighter side at first glance, but my experience with readings has taught me that it's easy enough to get more in-depth, especially if that's already on the sitter's mind.
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
At first I thought K@d@r would just be Z*lt@r on steroids. But by the looks and posts here it is sooo much more!! If my success and oppertunities for readings continue I will definetely make an investment for this, and hope Chris will still be producing them!
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
The good news is, I believe he is doing a second run of them, so your chances look pretty good for the time being, but I'm sure he'll chime in here to confirm or deny very soon. Smile
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Quote:
On 2012-11-11 21:36, Mind illusionist wrote:
At first I thought K@d@r would just be Z*lt@r on steroids. But by the looks and posts here it is sooo much more!! If my success and oppertunities for readings continue I will definetely make an investment for this, and hope Chris will still be producing them!

Check Chris's blog post here: http://alchemymoon.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/quick-update/
Sounds very promising.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Kadar is here! (42 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL