The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Portable Backdrops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Does anyone use a portable backdrop for the gigs they do? In late December and early January I will be doing much less walk around and more stand up shows (holiday parties). I want to up the production value by having some sort of back drop. I don't think it will be possible for 1 or 2 since the crowds are only about 50 people in smaller, elegant rooms.

I'd love to get some advice on choosing/making a good backdrop, and times when you feel it is appropriate to set up. Thanks!

Dave
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I made my own backdrop using a photo backdrop stand. You can get them cheap on ebay. With basic sewing machine skills, you can make a really nice backdrop.
-Matt
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
See this thread for many ideas:

--> Magic Café thread titled... Magi......Resource

It's a sticky thread in the "F/X" area.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I've been very satisfied with my jet set from Abbott's. I bought the 8 foot high by 8 foot wide. I found some nice material at Walmart a sewed myself a nice curtain. Sets up quickly and is light weight. I use it in schools and have used it for B-day parties.

John
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I did exactly the same as Matthew, photo stands on 2 tripods from eBay. It's your cheapest option, then you can try spider backdrops and other brands names.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Photo back drop, use one that can be customised for size mine goes from 3 feet to 18 feet wide and can be up to ten feet high, Add decent quality curtains and you will look pretty snazzy. It could be pushed bigger but I have never found a need.
Go online or to a photography store to get the rigging and then to a fabric store for the curtain. My rigging packs down and can be carried complete by one person total weight is under 20 pounds.
Put your curtaining into a plastic tub to keep it clean after every show. You can also use this for smaller corporate clients as a logo hanger backdrop, get their logo printed and place it on your backdrop and use it in your demo video for a good type of "Social Proof"

Hope this helps
Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Kel says poof
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Kel says poof
I have 2 pull up banners that I push together to make look like a big stage back drop (cheaper)....you'll need a few sand bags if you're gigging out doors because they blow over easily....as a result 1 of mine is a little wonky.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Three words…
Jeff Jones Magicbackdrops

Using it at my San Francisco Magic Parlor nightly, amazing, sturdy, and creates ambiance. Search the Café lots of info about them.

My two-cents,
Walt
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
You're a magician, right? You want either a Spider system or a Jeff Jones Magicbackdrop.
They both get reactions from the audience when you set them up. People are impressed before you even do a trick.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Here is another vote for the Jeff Jones Magic Backdrops. Easy to set-up and take down, easy to store, always looks great right out of the bag.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
The Magic Backdrops from Jeff Jones look very nice on the website. I like the endorsements he has received. Prices seem very reasonable too. Thanks for sharing.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
MagicBackdrops.com is the way to go and Jeff is a really nice person to deal with.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Is there a video showing how the jeff jones system sets up?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Thanks for the great recommendations. I decided to hold off but will keep these in mind in the future. They look great
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have mine airbrushed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Portable Backdrops (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL