The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Whosematerial do you perform the most? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
snm
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of snm
My repertoire consists of a lot of Sankey and Harlan. What about you guys? Whose material do you find using the most? Any favorite effects, etc?
snm
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of snm
As for my mentalism routines... Lots of stuff from the Unexpected dvd set. Lots of stuff from Looch
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Bannon, Lorayne, Dingle, Aronson, Jennings, Vernon, Daley, Roth, Brewer, Ortiz, . . . .
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Harry Lorayne, and my own.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Mine
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
snm
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of snm
Christopher, every effect you do is completely new and original to you? Surely your presentations are perhaps based on someone else's handling, etc?
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Malone, williamson, Vernon
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
While most of my working material is "original", my influences are drawn primarily from Jay Sankey and Greg Wilson.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3399 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
CARDS -
Larry Jennings, Martin Nash, Derek Dingle, Paul Harris, Jim Molinari.....oh yeah, Ed Marlo!

COINS -
David Roth, Mike Gallo

Yeah, all old guys! What can I say. Next year I start collecting Social Security.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Vernon, Paul Harris...
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2012-11-06 22:07, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Mine

Hmmm, I wonder why this lot is in your close up case then. Smile Smile Smile

Cards - From Top to Bottom
---------------------------
Rainbow Deck
BILL!
Invisible Deck
Blank Deck for I Dream of Mindreading
2 Blue Back Tally Fan Backs
1 Red Bike Deck for Signing Effects, T&R, etc.

Sharpie
An Ear
3 Super Soft Sponge Balls
Fire Wallet - with Extreme Burn, Greed, Card to Wallet Gimmick, and Biz Cards inside
Lighter Fluid
Altoids Tin for Card on Ceiling
Crown Royal drawstring bag holding my 2 Sisti Cups with blue/silver deluxe Sherwood Balls inside
4 Silver Eagles
Charming Chinese Challenge
Mystery Box
Rubber Bands
TT w/Silk Streamer
6th Finger
Ring Flight
Packet Tricks - Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte, Color Monte, B'wave
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1422 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Richard Sanders, Me, John Guastaferro.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I do not perform anyone's material as is, don't think I ever have. But, I have studied magic for about 50 years, so there is no doubt that what I do is an amalgam of creations, inventions, and ideas "borrowed" from thousands of geniuses, although there is a lot of my own in there, too.

The posts above do not surprise me, but they do confirm something I've mentioned often... magicians today are more likely to perform tricks that have another magician's name attached to them. When I was first learning my craft, I was encouraged to study plots and premises... rings link and unlink, a metal ball floats in the air, balls do unusual things when covered with cups, cards rise from a deck, birds appear in silk scarves, coins travel from one hand to the other, etc. I studied the MANY possibilities of each of these, and combined the methods and ideas that worked best for me.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Talking about routines I do in bars I can say my work is most influenced by
moves: greg wilson, david stone, oz pearlman, bannachek
theory: derren brown, dani daortiz, darwin ortiz, tamazriz, tommy wonder

I would say that watching this guys and reading their thoughts about magic tremendously helped me to came up with my routines
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
951 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hey snm,

I really like David Regal's creativity and plots. I also perform Vernon, Lorayne, Guastaferro, etc. original effects, but always find myself drawn to the Regal stuff. This is partially why it's so important to read widely so that you can discover who's effects work well with your personality.

As far as favorites, check out the book gems thread in the secret sessions to see handpicked favorites from the contributors there.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Zuke and SNM...congrats on missing my point.

The magic I do IS MINE. When you're performing and someone asks you, "wow, that's really good!", do you respond, thanks, but it's not mine, it's actually by Harry Lorayne? No...of course not. The magic I perform is MINE b/c I make it my own. I carry a rainbow deck with me. Did I invent it? No, I didn't. But the routine I do with it is 101% my own. Did I invent Extreme Burn? No...but the routine I do with it is 101% my own, etc.

That was my point.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1422 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 12:08, Christopher Lyle wrote:
That was my point.

And a very good one.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I knew the "mine" post would come fast, too predictable. Everyone should make their magic their own, that is common sense. But the real question and point of this thread was who's material do you buy and perform the most? Leave it to a Café member though to twist it around and turn it into an argument that will span 30 pages. Laymen are not asking you, magicians on a magic forum are asking you. I have so much material spanning over 30 years that I still do, much of it from old books and magazines by magicians most probably never heard of.

But there is no "most" for me really, I have so much great material from so many magicians and mentalists that I use, including all the popular ones today. I also do my own that I create as well. But that is not a necessity to be a great performer, not all magicians are inventors or vice versa nor do they need to be in order to be successful. that is why we have magic shops and magic inventors. Creating your own routines with your own injected persona is what you should strive for. But some do not even do that, some still make their living using other's routines and canned patter. Not really my thing though as I prefer to add my own elements etc. But that was not the question of this thread.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Vernon, Lorayne, Malone, Daryl....
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-06 21:31, S2000magician wrote:
Bannon, Lorayne, Dingle, Aronson, Jennings, Vernon, Daley, Roth, Brewer, Ortiz, . . . .

If you want to do tired material that does't work in the modern world, those would be OK.

I work strictly out of BLACK: A Book of Deception & Psychology by Dan Army

It was reviewed on the Café:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/reply......"e=1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Whosematerial do you perform the most? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL