The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » School or go Pro!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
I'm not certain where to post this... but I thought this was the best place. I'm in a HUGE dilemma in life right now. I am in a nursing program to be a nurse and have a year and a half left. My school is completely paid for. Now the good part... I have a possible offer to go pro magician. I'm talking a tourist town and after figuring I'm estimating a MORE than well means of living by doing 3-4 shows a week. But it's 2 hours away from the town my school is at. This gig would be under a contract to where I would be there for a few years; around 5 from what I understand and I can only perform at this place in that town. But would this not get me the publicity to be able to do corporate magic? Or many possibilities? Please... throw in your 2 cents. Especially full time magicians. And feel free to pm me to talk about making a living if you're willing. I don't want to impose on anyone... but I would like to know a few things. I can give more detail on PM for certain.

Thank you guys!

Siraldi
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Finish up school.

You are going to school for something that has many career choices. Not saying to not do what you love, but you are almost done with school. Entertainment is a luxury. Nurses are always needed. I wouldn't give up on something that can get you into a stable job for something that is "possible."

My 2 cents.
-Matt
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I'm full time but also a university graduate.

I say this: finish your education.

Despite what you may think, opportunities will appear in the future for you too. If you are good enough to be offered the job today, you will be good enough to be offered jobs in the future.

If you don't finish your education now you likely never will and you are likely going to regret it. 1.5 years is a very short time in your life and now is the time to get that education. Even if you never use the degree, finish what you've started and you will have the pride of accomplishing something great. And, if you end up not liking the full time magician gig (you never know), you have a great back-up that can support your family. Not everyone can afford to get an education and you have it waiting for you all paid up.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Heres the thing, you're NOT trying to decide if you want to go pro. You're tryingto decide if you want to skip school for a temporary gig. From the sounds of it, you have no clue what it takes to be a pro (wanting advice and all). Not that you can't learn, but its not worth going for it if you don't know what you're up against. Finish school. Its back up security, and ITS PAID FOR. I would kill to have my loans gone.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2234 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Siraldi,

Ask yourself, what is your passion? If your passion is magic then going to school is a waste of time, whether its paid for or not. If nursing and helping others is your passion, then your throwing away a great opportunity.

Passion is required for success, no matter what field you're in.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
If you getting a lifetime contract with the magic job, take it.
If not, take the paid up education, it lasts a lifetime.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Please, keep going to Nursing School and then persue Magic. At least with being a Nurse you can have a lot of Free time to go out and perform and hone your chops. And with being a Nurse you have a future and Health Insurance and a very good paycheck. Go to school and get your License then decide what you want to do after that.

Remember the job that they offered you could go away the next day if the company goes under. At least with being a Nurse the chances that the hospital will close is not likely and if it does there are a thousand more places to be a nurse than a magician.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
782 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Options. That's the key.

Nursing will give you options.

I have a Masters Degree and was a full time minister for 25 years. Now I am a full time entertainer. I had options!

It's not either/or. But, as you progress your options are narrowed.

Your education will serve you well. So, maybe you never work as a nurse, but you have that option.

Whatever talent got you that offer for the gig will only get better as you practice more. Do lots of magic right where you are. If you are good, more offers like that will come.

Quote:
This gig would be under a contract to where I would be there for a few years; around 5 from what I understand

Ask anyone who has been pro for very long, contracts like that have a way of falling through. If an entertainment director or whoever books you moves on there's a good chance the "guarantee" will too. It may work out fine but all of us doing it full time have been burned (more than once).

I think you can be a great performer and nurse. You can have the best of both worlds and see which one is more of your passion.

It seems that most everyone here says, stay in school. But don't hear us saying, stay in school and forget magic. You don't need to do that. You can stay in school and perform all you can, practice a lot and if you already have an offer like that just imagine the possibilities for the future when you are even better than you are now.

You asked for everyone's two cents, but I gave you a quarter. Smile

:spinningcoin:

(I've been dying to use that spinning coin thing.) Smile
The pirate to the left is Professor Q.B.

ProfessorQB.com

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
REALLY -- REALLY!!

If you have to ask - go the magic route - apparently caring for the ill, hurting or recovering is NOT in your heart. Do those that need a nurse that really cares a favor and go the magic route.

Maybe this little bit of "tough love" will make you really rethink what you really want and where your gifts and passions are (since an education that is paid for isn't motivation enough)

Do a little homework and look for Gene Anderson - "Part Time Pro" lecture notes - it might help you in your future.

Regardless - good luck!
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
Curtgunz... thanks! Sincerely! I've talked to a LOT of friends and family about it. My plan now is to give it a try this summer (I'm not allowed to take classes in the summer in this program anyways) and stay in school. Only doing this when I can. That's my plan for this moment.

Signor Blitz: I'm cool with tough love. But it's not that I don't want to care... that's one reason I do magic. Magic changed my life completely and I only hope to do that to others. I feel I have made a difference in a few people who've seen me. Through out my life I've volunteered a LOT... especially with the elders... doing shows and playing music for them. I used to do meals on wheels. And I now work for a home health agency doing magic shows for elders in assisted living facilities and nursing homes... but paying gigs now. You're right; though... I won't give my full heart to nursing. But I'm going to stick with it... because I do have a heart for loving. I just like to show it differently... I'm sure you can understand that as a performer.

Scott Burton: Thanks. I've talked to a couple old professors about this... one says stay and one says go if I can. But right now I'll stay... I guess if I'm good now I should be good in a year and a half.

In general... I think I should mention that I DO work as a semi pro now. Magic is my only source of income. I work 2 restaurants a week and for a home health agency (which is why I chose nursing... I'm pretty good with the elderly it seems) and have a gig with them once or twice a week. I also have a few birthday parties a months and do festivals in the summer. I've only began magic as a profession this year... a year and 2 months. But I (right now) will stay in school and decide for certain this summer. I appreciate all of your thoughts sincerely... but don't think I'm some "chap" trying to find a reason to drop out of school. I make good grades and have missed 4 days of school since 5th grade It's just that magic is my passion... it's in my blood. So I appreciate everyones input...

close.up.dave: I hope I don't seem rude... but if I am I won't apologize... but I am young... and I don't know EXACTLY what it takes to go pro... but I am working my butt off trying. I'm fairly successful in my opinion in doing magic for a year in the public. I understand that I am blessed to have school paid for... and I appreciate the push for school... but please don't assume too much about me. I'm a young kid who has never had a "day job" because I work (as I'm sure you have also) every day to improve my magic and music so that I don't have to have a "day job". I may not know "what it takes to go pro" but I think that asking people for input is the best way to learn. And the day stop learning is the day I'm as good as dead.

Scott Burton: Thanks. I have a lot of friends older than myself; and they are mostly saying the same thing. So it's making me think

Thank you guys for the input. Sincerely!
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Not rude but you're misinterpreting what I'm arguing: if you have to ask if you should take a short term gig without laying any ground work before quitting school, then youre only doing yourself a diservice. And never having had a day job, you may not have the work experience or ethic to be a professional. I see why you think its a strength, but I'd argue otherwise. I only graduated college this year, and am working on being completely full time within 2 years. And that's just me, but I have an actual plan, your first post asked a question that doesn't sound like you were thinking that far ahead. I absolutely want you to have a good groundwork laid out for yourself, and you do too obviously.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
^After rereading my post I realize I chopped up what I was trying to say so I'll keep it simple: I think doing both is the best option and since youre willing to work on magic then Im sure you'll do well. It will be a gradual process and not an instant one such as if you were to give up on school.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19860 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Go to school. Life will await you at the end of it, and you will be in a FAR better position.

In case that was covered with subtlety. GO TO SCHOOL!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I'm all about following your passion.

However, I don't see "passion" as an unchanging position ("I am passionate about something therefore I was always be passionate about this something"). Our "passion" can change over time as we grow, develop, learn, enter into new stages in life, and gain experiences. A person may be passionate about being a magician but end up hating it once they enter into he reality of making a living with it (or may love it...same point applies).

Perhaps your "passion" isn't really about being a full time magician but, rather, in wanting to make people happy. There are many means to getting the end result of making people happy - including magic.

Nursing I bet would be a very rewarding career. In fact, after a number of years entertaining people full time, you may start to want to provide a stronger, more meaningful, and lasting impact on people's happiness by helping them in times of need.

When we are young (I still see myself as "young" at 33), we don't really know who we are and who we will be once we gain experiences, have children, etc, etc. It may happen that you continue to explore who you are and try different avenues to creating a happy and successful life for yourself.

As such, I say "follow your passion" but continue your school as that education is truly a gift for creating options and opportunities for later in life. There must be a reason why you entered into nursing and I encourage you not to throw that away too quickly for a short-term opportunity.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Finish school because magic is a good job during prosperity, and nursing is recession proof.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Siraldi,

It's a great feeling knowing you do have a hobby that you could make a living with if you had too.
One doesn't need to be called a professional to be respected as a magician.

I've done it all in magic. Full time, part time, hobbyist, magic shop owner, started a magic club,
published a magic book, and more. And I did it all because I wanted too, not because I had too.
Magic is one of those few things where you CAN have your cake and eat it too.

Just something else to think about.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Go for your dream and don't look back!

BEST WISHES...
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
FINISH SCHOOL!

No one, I mean no one, on this planet has ever said "the one thing I regret is that I went to school".
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
All the successful people that I had study, they all had one common trait, they never asked permission to be successful from family, friends co-workes or peers, they just went for it and never looked back!
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
You all have given me a lot to think about

magicofCurtis: That... that sounds like some wisdom. I think that may be a downfall for me. I appreciate that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » School or go Pro!? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL