The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommendations for WOW factor in small settings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
I currently came back to take an interest in magic. I started when I was in grade school but never really continued from there. I was kind of bored with my life then I saw some amazing Theory11 videos on YouTube that got me hooked again. However, I am not a performer nor do I want to be. But what I want to be able to do is perform magic tricks out of the blue while meeting people (especially girls Smile) and give them a WOW factor and mess with their head. A reason for talking to them (eg taking their iPhone to show something) is a huge plus. And yes I know I will only perform it once. The locations where I plan to perform are coffee shops, lounges, clubs, libraries, etc. I love doing the Invisible Deck but I feel that I need more in my repertoire. For the most part I do not want things that require gimmicks or extra items unless the trick is amazing/clean/examinable/etc. I went to Penguin Magic and these are stuff I picked out:

Rattled by Dan Hauss (DVD + 2 Gimmicks)
Coffee Break by Gregory Wilson (Instant Download)
Ignition by Chris Smith (DVD + Gimmick)
Psypher by Robert Smith and Paper Crane Productions - DVD
Timeless (DVD w/gimmick) by Liam Montier and Vanishing Inc - DVD
- An iPhone trick such as Swipeit or related?

Are there any recommendations I should addd or remove? Money is not an issue for the most part. Most of the tricks will be happening sitting down. And like I said before these may be used to pick up girls as an ice breaker but I cannot use the generic ones I see in every book.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Smile

PS: Anyone know how to make a rose appear from your hand without her noticing a thing?
Card Detective
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Card Detective
Been there and done that; but its not the tricks or the money, it is you, it is you, it is your personality that needs to come through. You will never find the perfect trick that will cause the perfect reaction.
Fluent Spanish speaker, if I can help anyone, let me know.
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
Yes I understand Card Detective. I just want to get started then work my way through. My personality is very open and mysterious which I believe will make my magic even more efficient Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Skip Rattled. Not sure about the others. The Invisible Deck is always a "killer". If you want the girls (and I'm serious about this), get a good set of multiplying sponge bunnies.

Jim
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
What's wrong with Rattled? Seems like something I can do on a table at a coffee shop using the cap on my Aquafina bottle.
Kozzi
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kozzi
+1 on the sponge bunnies. Anything that happens in their hands leaves a memorable impression.

This being said, it sounds like you want a trick to make you more impressive but the connection with a girl will ultimately come from you. Don't fall for the trap of putting the cart before the horse.
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
Heh, I'm not to be impressive/show off to pick up girls, but using it as a tool to condition and enchance my experience. And does anyone have a link to sponge bunnies? Thanks again Smile
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Most magic stores sell sponge balls or sponge bunnies (rabbits). You just have to look around.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
Thanks Ray. Anyone else can contribute? I forgot to add TKO to the list and from what I've read it uses a string through the shirt or something.
TeslaTao
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of TeslaTao
If you're not worried about money, because it's a little pricey, CSI coffee shop illusion is a really nice trick. It sounds like the long reset at home wouldn't be an issue for you, though it is going to require a ring, chain, padlock, and special cup to be carried around. Be careful to get the real thing and not the Chinese knock-off.
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
CSI Coffee Shop is very expensive and I don't like the idea of the special cup. Thanks though!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
Buy a good book or DVD that offers several effects and will provide better value for your money. Get one of Sankey's books or DVDs ir something from Aldo Colombini.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Pressure by daniel garcia
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
I hear pressure is easily figured out but it does look amazing.
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Quote:
On 2012-11-11 12:01, Frostie wrote:
I hear pressure is easily figured out but it does look amazing.

There will be some tricks like that, however for it not tombr figured out it needs to be performed well

ozzy
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I use Twisted Sister as a mental magic routine. No sleights, pure connection, always in my pocket. Good for across the table or working a small group.

Ed
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1389 Posts

Profile of edshern
1--- I have been lurking in these boards for a few years, and I can tell you that one of the tricks that is recommended EVERYWHERE here and by EVERYONE in every category is Sponge Bunnies!!!! Sponge bunny DVD's are cheap. Must be something to it. In fact, I guess I should learn it one day.

2- I like Ed's idea of packet tricks & twisted sisters. Some amazing ones available. Try NFW!

3- Of course the universal advice here is just 'get a deck of cards'
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Ask the girl for her number to text her your prediction. Then use an eqivoque to force your prediction. I use this as a great impromptu routine with three imaginary coins. I force the dime and then reveal the prediction I texted her. Now you have just done a miracle and gotten her number as well.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Want sponge bunnies? These are the best there is. You'll need two sets, but at $9 a set, it's do-able:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13359

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommendations for WOW factor in small settings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL